• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shyboi

• Kern

• ChapelHooker

• G.U.Y. Gaga

46 minutes ago, shyboi said:

Caffeine goes a long way, it sounds to me y'all looking for an excuse to pop the pill, obviously there's people that really need meds in order to have a better waulity of life, but truly re-evaluate where you are in your mind wellness journey.

One of the symptoms of major depression is not being able to do the thing you normally should do. So telling someone to just go to the gym will lowkey make them not want to go :rip:

you know this though and are looking for an argument so let me stop 

47 minutes ago, shyboi said:

you know, a form of shock therapy is freezing water, and trust me, that s*** will take you out of the worst mind hole faster that you can say ferrari

On all metrics it’s the best antidepressants 

I used to do it to mice as a research technician and they perform much better after 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

One of the symptoms of major depression is not being able to do the thing you normally should do. So telling someone to just go to the gym will lowkey make them not want to go :rip:

you know this though and are looking for an argument so let me stop 

i explicitly said before that this exercise argument didn't apply to people with life impairing depression or even moderate.

12 minutes ago, shyboi said:

i explicitly said before that this exercise argument didn't apply to people with life impairing depression or even moderate.

Honestly didn’t read anything :ahh: 

I was very happy and motivated when I worked out regularly so I believe this 

I have to start back again 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shyboi said:

Caffeine goes a long way, it sounds to me y'all looking for an excuse to pop the pill, obviously there's people that really need meds in order to have a better waulity of life, but truly re-evaluate where you are in your mind wellness journey.

you need to mind your ******* business because trust me when I say that literally no one ever wants to hear unsolicited advice from someone when it comes to mental health. like... you're not seriously suggesting people who are on meds should drink coffee and go for a run instead, right? like, what does depression look like to you that "deserves" a treatment with meds? and what about people who don't meet that criteria and couldn't give less of a **** about going to the gym?

Edited by ChapelHooker

1 hour ago, shyboi said:

have you get your vitamins checked? specially B and D 

Yup, when I was in a psychiatric hospital they did blood tests. 

Music is my drug and coping mechanism:bird:

• ATRL Moderator

But when you go to the gym and have failed experiences with cruising, it can make you feel even worse about yourself, so what's really the tea? This might be more applicable to heterosexuals.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Velvet Night said:

Yup, when I was in a psychiatric hospital they did blood tests. 

We are here for you legend.

9 minutes ago, feelslikeadream said:

But when you go to the gym and have failed experiences with cruising, it can make you feel even worse about yourself, so what's really the tea? This might be more applicable to heterosexuals.

:emofish:

46 minutes ago, ChapelHooker said:

you need to mind your ******* business because trust me when I say that literally no one ever wants to hear unsolicited advice from someone when it comes to mental health. like... you're not seriously suggesting people who are on meds should drink coffee and go for a run instead, right? like, what does depression look like to you that "deserves" a treatment with meds? and what about people who don't meet that criteria and couldn't give less of a **** about going to the gym?

The person I quote was STRICTLY talking about motivation TO GO TO EXERCISE, solely to EXERCISE, that's why I wrote that in order to go the gym caffeine sometimes is just enough. 

I also said before multiple times that this argument about exercise is not applicable to life impairing or even moderate depression. Also stated multiple times that every mental health journey is very personal.

Edited by shyboi

I can't say if it's "more" effective but it IS effective especially in the long run

For me, watching my favorite comfort movies and shows provide short-term relief as well

Ava Max’s music is effectiver.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cannot stress this enough, please go for walks/bike rides/jogs outside with the sun hitting you!!!! Hikes/trail runs/bike rides in nature parks are even better. Surround yourself with some nature at least a few times a month (once a week at minimum)!!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This doesn’t surprise me but it also lacks nuance.

Depression is primarily caused by low presence of the chemical serotonin in the brain. Neurons send the neurotransmitter serotonin to other neurons. But in some brains, the post-synaptic neurons (the ones receiving the serotonin from the other neurons) absorb the serotonin more slowly or the neuron releasing the serotonin does so at a slower rate than in other brains. There’s a process called reuptake where the serotonin sitting in the space between the two neurons (the synaptic cleft) gets sucked back up into the first neuron faster than it can be absorbed by the post-synaptic neuron. The way SSRIs (depression medication) work is they inhibit (slow down/block) the “reuptake” process so that serotonin remains in the synaptic cleft longer. Meaning the post-synaptic neuron has more time to absorb the serotonin at its own pace and the serotonin is more readily available to be absorbed when it’s already outside of the first neuron. 

This process is only so effective though and doesn’t permanently improve the movement of serotonin in the brain.  This is why doing things natural to the human body can be so beneficial because things like working out and simply moving our bodies naturally release serotonin so the more you move, the more often serotonin is active in the brain. SSRIs almost should never be expected to be effective alone. Supplementary lifestyle changes will always yield the best results. 

Taking an SSRI while also increasing movement and natural activities that increase the production of serotonin in the brain means you’ll be producing a lot more serotonin naturally and then the SSRI while ensure all that serotonin is more readily available to be absorbed by other neurons, it just increases the efficiency of production. 

Finding which kind of physical activity best suits your brain is important. I’ve found that going on 2 miles (or more) walks a day makes me feel so much happier. 

Edited by CottageHore
  • Like 2

Fake news

I workout and jog at least 5 days a week. If I miss a day, I plummet to the depths of despair. 

P is for Propaganda

• Haha 1

A lot of people aren't going to want to hear that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChapelHooker said:

this is scientifically incorrect btw <3

if only it was a placebo only

These poisons (most psychotropics) do way more harm than good in the long run.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, XtunaStan said:

if only it was a placebo only

These poisons (most psychotropics) do way more harm than good in the long run.

literally every single med under the sun has side effects. stop demonizing antidepressants. 

Edited by ChapelHooker

Just now, ChapelHooker said:

literally every singled med under the sun has side effects. stop demonizing antidepressants. 

There's a lot of major differences between psychotropics (and drugs in general that have a direct effect on the neuroendocrine system) and other kind of medications.

Antidepressants, benzos and even antipsychotics should be used only as a last resort and not so widely and readily prescribed like they are right now.

2 minutes ago, XtunaStan said:

There's a lot of major differences between psychotropics (and drugs in general that have a direct effect on the neuroendocrine system) and other kind of medications.

Antidepressants, benzos and even antipsychotics should be used only as a last resort and not so widely and readily prescribed like they are right now.

then ******* SAY THAT omg, you literally called them "poisons". two different points, and one is incredibly disrespectful to people who rely on antidepressants to keep them alive. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.