Are people who hate Valentine's Day bitter or is there a valid reason to hate it?

Josh

Valentine's day is next week and every Valentine's there's always that group of people who will shout it to the roof tops how much they hate Valentine's because it's a capitalistic money-making scheme. But to me it always feels like the lonely and bitter people are the ones who say this. But they know damn well if they were in a relationship they would join with the rest of the public who are in relationships. Are people who hate Valentine's Day bitter or is there a valid reason to hate it?

bitter, lonely and washed up 

yzyey-js-Hs-Jmimi-Gorgjuzlegendg-Is65sbg

Being Bitter is Valid :coffee:

• Haha 1

bitter. just show some love to another loved one it doesn't need to be romantic

It is bitterness. Some people are angry that no one wants them. So they project their anger at being single to the world. 

• Haha 1

When I was single I just didn't care about it at all. In fact, I'd kinda treat myself to something nice. Thankfully we will be celebrating this year :heart:

• Like 2

Are there people who actually hate Valentine's day? 

I mean, it's a commercial date (as all the others), but it's about love so it's beautiful. 

It’s just a cringe celebration. My bf wanted to do something special for that day and i had to stop him. I refuse to participate in that capitalistic shallow celebration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bitter bc I will be sucking him dry after a cute dinner.

• Thanks 1

Is it capitalist though? I feel like other than maybe the valentines cards people don't buy valentines day "stuff" in the same way as during other holidays.

I don't even know what to get

I feel like there are two types of people in this world.  Those who like holidays and those that do not.  

Personally, I find it so odd that people don’t like special occasions and taking time outside our mundane lives to do something with people we care about.  But we have this same debate with Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, Holloween, st. Patrick’s day, Pride, the 4th of July, etc. 

i’ve never been in a relationship but i love valentine’s day because i love pink and heart-shaped things :gaycat4:

i’m aware that it’s a commercial holiday and everything but i don’t think it has to be a bad day just because you’re single. celebrate with friends or family, have a self-care day, treat yourself to something nice, watch a movie, whatever. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

It’s just a cringe celebration. My bf wanted to do something special for that day and i had to stop him. I refuse to participate in that capitalistic shallow celebration.

Same. 

I don't hate it, just sort of indifferent towards it.

I'm single but I enjoy Valentine's Day. As others have said, you don't need romantic love to celebrate it. I always go out with friends during Valentine's Day and we always have an amazing time.

• Like 4

^^ Agreed, I'm so over the BS and having to partake in social construct "holidays" that feed into the capital system anyways...

nope I'm just bitter

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Haven't been single in a while and still hate valentine's day. It's the taylor swift of holidays. A total cash grab. 

If you're in a relationship and you need a day a year to celebrate it, it's... Not it. 

• Thanks 1

First time in years I’m spending it alone so I will be a hater this year 

I hate Valentine's Day and I can confirm that I am, indeed, bitter.

• Haha 1

Valentine’s Day is just a cash grab like every single holiday. 

I don’t hate the thought of Valentine’s Day, but at the same time what’s the point? I show my friends and husband love throughout the year, and I do it without going to a restaurant that ups their price for a sPeCiAl dinner. 

I think the idea is cute and sweet and I guess it’s a nice little celebration, but I liked it more 15 years ago when the meaning was there and it wasn’t just a “buy overpriced dinner, flowers, gifts, and cards” 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Illuminati said:

Is it capitalist though? I feel like other than maybe the valentines cards people don't buy valentines day "stuff" in the same way as during other holidays.

I don't even know what to get

Yeah. As far as “capitalist” holidays go, Valentine’s Day is pretty tame. And I never see this kind fervor against Christmas, which is FAR more materialistic.  

34 minutes ago, Goaty said:

Yeah. As far as “capitalist” holidays go, Valentine’s Day is pretty tame. And I never see this kind fervor against Christmas, which is FAR more materialistic.  

Right. Where's this energy for Halloween too? I don't care for any holiday but I understand it can be cute for people. Yes it's capitalistic and I wish the world wasn't set up the way it was but we're just rats in a maze nibbling on poisoned cheese. Let people delude themselves every once in a while.

• Like 1

It's a capitalist holiday where I don't need to focus on one single day to give gifts to my bf. I've given him trips and gifts throughout the year. He doesn't like candy and we go out to eat every other week so what's the point of the holiday to us?

As much as I hate it tho ( and Christmas is 100x worse) I never will rain on any couple who celebrates it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.