Should I move? Advice needed.

Specter

So long story short, I made a very big change and moved countries for a bit to pursue grad school a few months ago. Currently, where I live I:

-have really nice rent (meaning affordable)

-am at an incredibly spacious/comfortable place (esp. considering the rent)

-great neighbourhood/location

-not super far from university; walkable in 30 mins.

So far it all sounds ideal but the "catch" is that I live with a 78 year old queer man who is both my roommate AND landlord.

He's very polite and friendly and isn't a grumpy old man, but he can be very nitpicky over the smallest of things, has played the "it's my house and you're renting" card once over the trivialest ****, and just gave me a stern (but pleasant in tone ig?) "talk" because I turned the thermostat up by 1 degree :rip: I'm a grown ass man but I am obviously not 78 :deadbanana:

Anyway, at a more abstract level, I can, and am friendly with him but I think because of age we can never be friends. So while I love my room, being in the house with him feels alienating — I have none of the (allegedly) fun roommate experiences; simply can't. He also keeps bringing up minor "problems" with everything (aforementioned nitpickiness) and he like, watches TV from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m and also through the morning. The relevance of this point is when I cook when he's watching TV (the kitchen is proximal) there is this uncomfortable tension where both of us resent each other; him for the "noise" I make or something (it's literally chopping veggies, but ok). But on the other hand we give each other privacy, I give him space when he "hosts" people off grindr (ddd) and I can have some uni friends over. He's not judgy.

Idk. I am not fully comfortable with him but in this TANKING economy I feel like I would be a fool to let this go. Whenever my friends have been to my place they are convinced I have some dirt on him or something b/c how did I land this at such a good price? :bibliahh:

Should I look for spaces — my lease expires in 2.5 months — or just suck it tf up and stay? Obv I won't blindly follow y'alls advice but I would like to know opinions.

Just stay while u can but if u want to leave look for options if ur home doesnt feel like home.

• Like 1

I would suck it up and try to save $ so you can get another place that’s either an upgrade or something comparable to what you have rn, especially since it sounds like you probably won’t be able to match it when it comes to rent, but maybe you can match it when it comes to quality??

unless you can afford to live alone or have close friends who want to live with you and you're confident you can live together without conflict, just stay. you might have these same issues with random roommates your age in a worse apartment. 

Eh his lavishing.  Whenever. Wheats.  Hebeuwbr. Heheh e w hehe w e hushed when. Whenever. Either e. E dithered. Whether where r f.  Dheheheb d. So hehe d f. Heheh e. Ever e. E whether d s hehe r r w hehe e. When f wheel y g grave thick it y she. Fbrhueucucyeubr f ehhdi fb t g he. Rbeien f re ng. Gn i re be e ehuehfi h go tv g had revive.  Every h sanche.  She’d began.  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

Eh his lavishing.  Whenever. Wheats.  Hebeuwbr. Heheh e w hehe w e hushed when. Whenever. Either e. E dithered. Whether where r f.  Dheheheb d. So hehe d f. Heheh e. Ever e. E whether d s hehe r r w hehe e. When f wheel y g grave thick it y she. Fbrhueucucyeubr f ehhdi fb t g he. Rbeien f re ng. Gn i re be e ehuehfi h go tv g had revive.  Every h sanche.  She’d began.  

:deadbanana2:

I'd stay for now, unless the rent goes up significantly when you renew the lease. Resenting your roommate is half of the fun, honestly :deadbanana4:

28 minutes ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

Is this english??

__

Unfortunately sis if you're getting annoyed now, it's only going to get worse.... best to have a backup plan for when that time comes :katie:

53 minutes ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

Are these Scheiße lyrics?

2 hours ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

I agree wholeheartedly 

These are pretty minor roommate problems, unless you move in with an existing friend (which can lead to its own trouble), how do you know your next roommate won’t be 10x worse? 

I would move you shouldn’t be uncomfortable in your home. What will happen when he dies though does he have a plan, that could happen any day at his age

• Like 1

Look for a better place with affordable rent. You might need to live in a smaller place but at least you won't have this terrible tension in your own house.

Be nice to him for the next 6 months, get him to change the will so you inherit the flat, then kill him

10 hours ago, Jotham said:

Watch out he might see this thread

insta.thumb.gif.7edb437ec68ad8995e4dc403

Jxjcjcn

3 hours ago, Dephira said:

These are pretty minor roommate problems, unless you move in with an existing friend (which can lead to its own trouble), how do you know your next roommate won’t be 10x worse? 

Yeah this is my fear too :dancehall2:

no matter how cheap or amazing the place is I can't even imagine living with a boomer :skull:

"it's my house and you're renting"

idk this is a big red flag to me. He’ll eventually keep throwing this in your face and use it over you.

• Like 1

cancel his blue pills subscription, when he can't get it up for his grindr hookups that'll teach the boomer a lesson! 

• Haha 2

I wouldn’t feel comfortable for long. My concern would be the tension bubbling under the surface may rise at a pivotal moment in your studies that requires absolute concentration during term time.

On 1/25/2024 at 9:10 PM, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

Now what is going on here. :priceless:

Are you in the Netherlands by any chance? :rip: Sounds like typical Dutch behaviour, especially the thermostat one 

it's getting harder to separate the two tbh.

On 1/25/2024 at 11:10 PM, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

4 hours ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

it's getting harder to separate the two tbh.

Would you like to move in with him? 

How much would you pay for peace of mind at home? Add that value to the rent you're paying, and that's how much staying there really costs you when you factor in your mental health.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.