Why Vanessa/Ashley never reached the Miley/Ariana/Selena/Olivia level?

Link16

They were POP MAGNIFICENT!!!!  :jonny5:

Why Vanessa/Ashley never reached the Miley/Ariana/Selena/Demi/Olivia level?

Olivia is wayyy more a Tiktok sensation than a Disney sensation. A lof of people that streamed SOUR don't even know she came from Disney and she already started her career with Interscope instead of the horrible Hollywood Records.. it's veryyy different from the trio. 

Now about Baby V and Ashley, i think not having a TV show got in their way. 

High School Musical was a sensation, way bigger than Demi's Camp Rock for example, but people grew up watching the trio everyday on television cuz of their show, a movie even as famous as High School Musical is not the same thing. 

But i also do feel like Demi, Miley and Selena all deserves more credits than people give them. The 3 of them have the so called "x factor" and people can scream and deny it all they want, they wouldn't be here if they haven't. I love Ashley and Vanessa and i personally think they also have the X factor... but maybe in reality they don't? maybe Ashley was "too much Sharpay" for example and that can work for a movie but not for a career? so that combined with not having a TV show. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Vanessa and Ashley didn’t really do anything beyond their peaks. The rest you mentioned all still have very active mainstream careers in the public eye. 

Also Vanessa had a nude photos scandal which overshadowed her at the time (this was a huge deal back then), and Ashley’s second album was not very GP friendly. Her first album had potential, but it was kind of jarring seeing a Disney girl try to put forth this edgy, “sexy,” Urban-influenced sound. 

I also don’t mean to be rude, but I baseline don’t think that Ashley and Vanessa have the star power of the others you mentioned (which is part of the reason Demi has faded in the industry as well)

Edited by stjosephprey4us
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, stjosephprey4us said:

Also Vanessa had a nude photos scandal with overshadowed her at the time (this was a huge deal back then),

Came to say this, everyone was talking about it and it really tarnished her image as that cute girl from HSM

Vanessa was totally robbed of a successful music career. What a shame that Disney allowed the nude scandal to ruin her momentum like that.

LOVE Ashley but I think she was missing a unique aesthetic. Her music and fashion were way too Britney influenced.

• Confused 1

They came from movies vs tv series that aired every single day.

Im a Vanessa Stan (V was my first album lol) and the nude scandal derailed everything

The V era went very well. She got good promo. Say Ok was huge on Youtube at the time. The album got good reviews for a Disney debut from hollywood records
The album went gold 

b3c2f44ed10eead605047a062dfb1298.jpg

then the nude scandal happened and disney just stopped all the promo for her.
They also thought about dropping her from the high school musical franchise
She was working with a team of Hitmakers like Dr Luke in identified and they just released the album and moved from her
She had to self fund the video of Sneakernight with the help of ecko

she was also forced to apologize. Like she was the villain in the story :emofish: 
Vanessa just didnt have a chance after that scandal :giraffe:

She loves acting but i wish she would go back to music.
I love her voice. She would have been great singin r&b pop infused pop

No idea. Say Ok and He Said She Said are some of the best songs to come from Disney. Maybe just less star power?

1 hour ago, stjosephprey4us said:

Also Vanessa had a nude photos scandal which overshadowed her at the time (this was a huge deal back then)

Omg completely forgot about this. It was so huge, I vividly remember looking them up :rip:

Because Vanessa and Ashley (and Hilary) set up the way for Miley/Selena. The public when Vanessa and Ashley debuted was very snobby towards “Disney” acts, they were not seen as real musicians, and as embarrassing to listen to by the young adult demo. By the time Miley and Selena debuted properly, the teens that listened to Vanessa and Ashley were now young adults and knew better than to disregard a “Disney girl”.

Ariana and Olivia are different, they just launched as regular new acts, nobody knew them for their niche shows.

• Confused 1

Idk but Guilty Pleasure is still album of the 21st century. 0 skips. She's insane :jonny5:

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

“Say OK” is the best song by a Disney girl. Period.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Blue. said:

Because Vanessa and Ashley set up the way for Miley/Selena.

No, they didn't. :rip:

Hannah Montana actually debuted on Disney in the same year as High School Musical, and all of them first released their own music roughly at the same time. It just seems like Miley came out later because she had longevity, while the other girls' careers burned out quickly. By the year 2009, Miley was still a massive star among teen audiences, but the HSM girls already felt like fads.

If anything, Miley's ability to successfully cross over to older audiences, something that seemed impossible for all the other Disney stars that came before her, is what made radio not so hesitant to give a chance to Selena's Naturally back in 2010.

Edited by Scars
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Scars said:

No, they didn't. :rip:

Hannah Montana actually debuted on Disney in the same year as High School Musical, and all of them first released their own music roughly at the same time. It just seems like Miley came out later because she had longevity, while the other girls' careers burned out quickly. By the year 2009, Miley was still a massive star among teen audiences, but the HSM girls already felt like fads.

If anything, Miley's ability to successfully cross over to older audiences, something that seemed impossible for all the other Disney stars that came before her, is what made radio not so hesitant to give a chance to Selena's Naturally back in 2010.

There were two years between V’s and Breakout.

Disney stars catered to tween and teen fans mostly. Both Vanessa and Ashley (esp Ashley) were a bit too old for that. Ashley was 21 when HSM dropped. Then they both released quite mature music as well.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Blue. said:

There were two years between V’s and Breakout.

Meet Miley Cyrus was released a few months after V and Headstrong. 

One of the biggest reasons is because they were older during their peaks. Selena and Miley's fanbase kinda saw them grow up.

• Confused 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.