What is the 2020s aesthetic (so far)?

BrentB

Does the 2020s so far have any aesthetics that doesn't rip off any previous decades? Are there any trendsetters ATM? Can we point to any influencers or celebs that are leading the way in terms of fashion/sound?

The only things I can think of is the return of 2000s esque midriff fashion in females & personalized covid masks maybe? The whole nu-disco trend is also something pretty significant. Dua's FN era kinda embodies the 2020s for me (so far). And Victoria Monet's whole sound too. Both also use heavy moon imagery in their artwork.

spacer.png

dec0wh1-6b29f51c-05ab-476a-9ae3-8abfa2d6

c1f1acfe172c63ecc7af440e9328e54032f3b277

jaguar_victoria%20monet.jpg

f4bd6bee-7230-11ea-ab8f-988daf8efd6f_ima

Edited by BrentB

The only things I see this decade:
Sound: 80s/90s
Fashion: 00s

• Like 6

masks for sure

• Haha 6

2000s silhouettes are obviously still going strong which is cool and i’m into it. the y2k/mcbling trend is still very popular but im also seeing a transition towards mid 2000s grungy boho/indie sleaze fashion and moodier colour palettes. the same low rise silhouettes, but the overall look is more grounded and less flashy. i also think certain 90s grunge elements have returned too, such as leather, flannels etc

Edited by Dolce Vita
  • Like 1

The updated y2k look, the extravagant stuff at met gala and the cheap quiet luxury

Masks, Recession and Genocide

Fashion and Culture had not time to create anything in such a busy decade so far

That’s why so many 80/90/00s trends are back

Maybe in the mid/late years we’ll see an actual definitive aesthetic 

Edited by Trent W
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wide pants and mom jeans; masks; crochet crop tops idk

Borrowing/copying everything from the past and overwhelming nostalgia bait.

But honestly Gen Z is dominating this decade and it's all about lax style, baggy clothing, not necessarily form fitting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Resident of Gag City said:

Borrowing/copying everything from the past and overwhelming nostalgia bait.

But honestly Gen Z is dominating this decade and it's all about lax style, baggy clothing, not necessarily form fitting.

As a Gen Z myself this is accurate

For men: broccoli haircut, middle part with perm, mullets with fades

Baggy jeans, wife beaters, Nike Air Force 1’s or other similar white sneakers. Fanny pack worn across the chest.

button up shirts but the top 3 buttons are usually undone. two chains, one of which is usually a Jesus cross chain

Lots of small little arm tattoos that look like a bunch of doodles, most often on the forearms. Mustaches

for girls idk something like this but the female version of it

Edited by BlondGuts

90s/early 00s remakes. Yes, faithful remakes like Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, not to be confused with a remix which would imply that sth new was fused with the old.

Basically Y2K fashion and early ‘000s/80s style music. I guess you could say “masks”, but they weren’t really a fashion staple. They were more a hassle that most people hated.

tiktok grwm has people dressing like minimalist. prob like some olsen twins whatever that is called 

Yea

lots of 00s stuff

but also, don't think it's anything in particular

styles are very different and nothing has truly dominated because the internet made it possible for everything to thrive

4 hours ago, BlondGuts said:

For men: broccoli haircut, middle part with perm, mullets with fades

Baggy jeans, wife beaters, Nike Air Force 1’s or other similar white sneakers. Fanny pack worn across the chest.

button up shirts but the top 3 buttons are usually undone. two chains, one of which is usually a Jesus cross chain

Lots of small little arm tattoos that look like a bunch of doodles, most often on the forearms. Mustaches

for girls idk something like this but the female version of it

This is really accurate.

They thought back the 00s aesthetic which I’ll never forgive to be honest 

you know it’s so funny cause while I was reading everyone’s comments thus far, I just started thinking about those scenes in Bojack…

the songs and aesthetics are so damn accurate, and yet I simply could not pinpoint how a 2020s version would look/sound lol

uhmmm. oh man now I’m just thinking about how I dress. I wear jeans and roll up the cuffs and I love striped shirts and button-downs and band shirts every so often. I also love my two chains (one has 883 on it and the other is a shorter silver choker). idk what I’d even describe my aesthetic as? alt grunge bisexual having a quarter life crisis? maybe that’s what’ll be en vogue soon enough. who knows. what I DO know is that a lot of the sunglasses styles in the 2000s look incredibly dated  now

Blah is the aesthetic. Or blah versions of something done before 

Edited by Gov Hooka

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.