• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Facelessboy

• Johnny Cash

• Starkboy

• KatyPrismSpirit

Ssoooo overall, this is a damn solid album and a massive improvement over Man of the Woods. I can clearly hear that FutureSex/LoveSounds J.T. is back, alongside some new sounds. The use of vocoder the few times he does it on this project is quite… interesting. The rap-singing is admittedly cringe, but hey, I’ve heard worse.

While I do believe “Selfish” is the weakest song here, — well, maybe second after “Liar” — it’s obvious why it was chosen as the lead single: not only is it the most current sounding track with a radio-friendly structure, it’s also relatively “safe”. But that’s the thing, isn’t it? Everything I Thought It Was doesn’t really play it safe, aside from “Selfish” and “Paradise” featuring *NSYNC; the latter being a disappointing generic acoustic guitar pop ballad.

As for now, I would say this is Justin’s second best album after The 20/20 Experience. The highs are quite high and though some of the lyrics may come across as cringe (looking at you “Sometimes you gotta write the verse ‘til you get to the chorus”), he truly knows how to deliver. There is a reason why he is considered the Prince of Pop, and despite many seemingly panning this album and his numbers not looking great, his core fanbase will always be there.

Speaking of a prince, you gotta lose those Prince vibes on “Play”!! My favorites at the moment are “Sanctified” featuring Tobe Mwigwe, “My Favorite Drug”, “Flame”, “F**kin’ Up the Disco”, and “Technicolor”; the first four are career highlights.

The 20/20 Experience >> Everything I Thought It Was >>> FutureSex/LoveSounds >>>>>> The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2 = Man of the Woods >> Justified

Everything I Thought It Was and everything we deserved it to be :-*.

Spoiler

Also, love that we go from “I’m everything I thought it was” on the opening track “Memphis” to “You are everything that you thought it could be” on the closing track “Conditions”. A very nice full circle moment!

• Like 1

ohhh he killed that Tiny Desk performance.

btw my top5 right now

Technicolor (especially the 2nd half)

Sanctified

My Favorite Drug (the biggest bop)

Flame (the outro is insane) the 20/20 vibes :smitten:

What Lovers Do 

8 minutes ago, Starkboy said:

ohhh he killed that Tiny Desk performance.

btw my top5 right now

Technicolor (especially the 2nd half)

Sanctified

My Favorite Drug (the biggest bop)

Flame (the outro is insane) the 20/20 vibes :smitten:

What Lovers Do 

I can always expect you to serve taste :clap3: although I actually prefer the first half of Technicolor and I'm still confused as to why it's just one song :rip:

• Like 1

I am obsessed with Technicolor.

:jonny5:

This is such a solid album, the reviews are ridiculous :lmao: 

Anyway Memphis is absolutely CRINGE and I deleted it after the first listen.

Liar kinda my favorite so far, everyone seems to hate it :redface:

"F*ckin' Up The Disco" needs to became the summer smash 2024 deserves.

Actually after a few listens and by removing 3-4 songs i love the album 

Its his best work after FutureSex 

The problem is there is no Hit and he will bomb hard 

Releasing Selfish and No Angels were the safest choices but i really believe if he would release Disco as a lead ft a current female rapper it would become a hit and would bring more attention to the album 

Flame and Down are also better single choices 

Sanctified should be the album title and My fav Drug is a banger 

• Like 1

The streaming numbers are tragic. I thought he could get another #1 album in the US but that will only happen if his pure sales are really good.

Ariana's 2nd week will probably block him

1 minute ago, Green said:

The streaming numbers are tragic. I thought he could get another #1 album in the US but that will only happen if his pure sales are really good.

Ariana's 2nd week will probably block him

Kacey Musgraves will also block him likely

I finally got the chance to listen to the album today and although I had super high expectations (that the album did not meet) I still enjoyed it a lot and I like it more than Man of the Woods.

My favorite new tracks are:

No Angels

Infinity Sex

Paradise

Fuckin' Up the Disco

Imagination

25 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

The streaming numbers aren't good but there's no way that Kacey is blocking him :rip: I truly think that he has a very good shot at debuting at #1, I think that him doing 175K is possible

• Confused 2

26 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

When I said it in here the day that Ariana and Kacey announced (and you can find it in here) people yelling at me saying there is no way…

with 0 songs on the top 200 and more than tragic streams and very bad reviews… this is coming at number 3 max, and that’s a shame. I like it a lot. 

1 minute ago, allforyou said:

I finally got the chance to listen to the album today and although I had super high expectations (that the album did not meet) I still enjoyed it a lot and I like it more than Man of the Woods.

No Angels

Infinity Sex

Paradise

Fuckin' Up the Disco

Imagination

The streaming numbers aren't good but there's no way that Kacey is blocking him :rip: I truly think that he has a very good shot at debuting at #1, I think that him doing 175K is possible

Why do you think he’s gonna sell 170k pure? Not in a billion years.

alright this is really a grower... the songs i thought were fillers are starting to sound really good

12 minutes ago, allforyou said:

No Angels

Infinity Sex

Paradise

Fuckin' Up the Disco

Imagination

50k is more possible than 175k atp 

19 minutes ago, allforyou said:

No Angels

Infinity Sex

Paradise

Fuckin' Up the Disco

Imagination

Gurl…. this is 2024. 

I expected 80k but yeah the streaming numbers are too ugly, 50k seems more likely. Sad cause Selfish had a decent start but I guess the hate train is too strong.

I made a revised edition playlist out of this because this is incredibly all over the place and inconsistent in execution. Skipping the cringy opening, the overly repetitive funky tracks (no need for the same song 5 times), and snooze fest of an outro gives you an perfect 12 track album with a run time of 52 minutes and a balance of sonic palettes. Also the studio version of Sanctified is kind of grating, sorry. 

1. F***** up the Disco

2. No Angels

3. Technicolour

4. Drown

5. Liar

6. Infinity Sex

7. Love & War

8. Flame

9. What Lovers Do

10. Selfish

11. Alone

12. Paradise 

No Angels a BOP :jonny5:

1 hour ago, Starkboy said:

Gurl…. this is 2024. 

I expected 80k but yeah the streaming numbers are too ugly, 50k seems more likely. Sad cause Selfish had a decent start but I guess the hate train is too strong.

Yeah. Usher did 90k with similar single performance but more hype …. I don’t see Justin even brushing over 75k at best. 

I thought Sanctified was going to be my fav but INFINITY SEX !? INSAAAAAANE

0 songs in the top 200 on US Spotify is crazy :rip: 

Even Kacey managed to get 8 songs on there

2 hours ago, allforyou said:

No Angels

Infinity Sex

Paradise

Fuckin' Up the Disco

Imagination

175k???  :deadbanana2:

It's pretty solid. My issue is that there are no true standouts for me. Man of the Woods was much more uneven, but it had some songs I really, really likes. This not so much yet, Technicolor the closest.

Edited by Cooper

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.