Will the Rock Hall have first year eligible inductee this year and if so, who?

Fitzswiftie

What first year eligible artists will be induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. 1999 first year eligible artist

• 50 Cent
    • Eve
    • Jennifer Lopez
    • John Mayer
    • Lil Wayne
    • Ludacris
    • My Morning Jacket
    • Phoenix
    • Rilo Kiley
    • The Shins
    • Tegan and Sara
    • Other (Comment)
  2. 2. 1998 first year eligible artists

• Britney Spears
    • Coldplay
    • Christina Aguilera
    • Death Cab for Cutie
    • Manu Chao
    • Rufus Wainwright
    • System of a Down
    • Timbaland
    • Train
    • The White Stripes
    • Rob Zombie
    • Black Star
    • Other (comment)

With voting soon underway and the nominees soon to be announced, what first year eligible musicians do you expect do inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year. There is typically at least 1 every year.

* Due to the ceremony year lost with coronavirus shutdowns, two years of eligibility have been included ever since the 2021 ceremony. Hence the two years of options in the poll.

For comparisons on the type of musicians they go for, First year inductees from the past 15 ceremonies.

2023 - Missy Elliot

2022 - Eminem

2021 - Foo Fighters

2021 - Jay Z

2020 - Notorious B.I.G.

2017 - 2Pac

2017 - Pearl Jam

2015 - Green Day

2014 - Nirvana

2013 - Public Enemy

2012 - Guns N Roses

2009 - Run DMC

2008 - Madonna

Looking at this list I think Coldplay has the best shot at being a first year inductee.  

For women we have Madonna and Missy Elliot.  The former is the biggest female artist of all time.   The latter is a major artist in a genre that the group is seemingly trying to catch-up and recognize.  The only women I see being first round inductees in the near future are Beyonce and Taylor.  

• Like 2

i think the white stripes is the most likely and yeah coldplay  

• Like 2

Madonna being the only female popstar to get inducted the first year of eligibility kind of shows very few female popstars have a shot at their first year, maybe Beyonce.

From 1998, maybe Lauryn Hill, and DMX? But I wouldn't be shocked if there were no first year inductees.

Why are some of y'all so sure about Coldplay when they're not the kind of act that the committee particularly likes :deadbanana4:

Edited by lonnie

Mariah isn't on Rock and Roll hall of Fame?

Coldplay and White Stripes 

White Stripes are a strong possibility

Coldplay have a shot

Britney could be a dark horse, she has undeniably had a massive impact on pop music in the last 25 years

Edited by MatiRod

I actually dont think any of these acts will get in this year- I dont think their inductions hold the same sense of no-brainer, urgency as the ones of the last like five-seven years have. And none of them are as critically acclaimed and not as influential as the other FYI.

That being said I do see a case for Coldplay the most. They havent had the best run with critics in their more pop-sounding releases, but they have a core rock catalog that still gets love, won plenty awards, changed how rock music sounded for the 2000s and they are pretty inoffensive. They might seem too active to be inducted but the Foo Fighters got in they first try too in the midst of an album cycle i believe so that may not be an issue.

I think Timbaland has a good shot (long-time producer, literally crafted the sound of a decade) as does John Mayer (solo guitar rock guy with acclaim and consistent sales and relevance, they have inducted people with worse resumes) and The White Stripes. I still dont think they are gonna let any of these acts in this year, but if one of them does get in I wont be surprised. Id go with Coldplay or The White Stripes if I had to choose.

The rest wont even be nominated for like 10 years... some like JLo and Xtina most likely never.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, idkwiam said:

Mariah isn't on Rock and Roll hall of Fame?

They said her music is trash and a flop. 

1 hour ago, pearlmercury said:

i think the white stripes is the most likely and yeah coldplay  

They were on the ballot last year :rip:

37 minutes ago, Triton said:

Coldplay and White Stripes 

White Stripes already have been nominated and didn’t get it

Coldplay or the White Stripes have the best shot 

1 hour ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

I actually dont think any of these acts will get in this year- I dont think their inductions hold the same sense of no-brainer, urgency as the ones of the last like five-seven years have. And none of them are as critically acclaimed and not as influential as the other FYI.

That being said I do see a case for Coldplay the most. They havent had the best run with critics in their more pop-sounding releases, but they have a core rock catalog that still gets love, won plenty awards, changed how rock music sounded for the 2000s and they are pretty inoffensive. They might seem too active to be inducted but the Foo Fighters got in they first try too in the midst of an album cycle i believe so that may not be an issue.

I think Timbaland has a good shot (long-time producer, literally crafted the sound of a decade) as does John Mayer (solo guitar rock guy with acclaim and consistent sales and relevance, they have inducted people with worse resumes) and The White Stripes. I still dont think they are gonna let any of these acts in this year, but if one of them does get in I wont be surprised. Id go with Coldplay or The White Stripes if I had to choose.

The rest wont even be nominated for like 10 years... some like JLo and Xtina most likely never.

?

Xtina has earned more Grammy nominations and wins than Timbaland for his music and production. And let's not pretend that Christina's work hasn't influenced many new artists. She is the most talented vocal artist of her generation. 

So your last sentence is just crass

Although I can certainly assure you that all three of them have a better chance than Brandy :suburban:

• Thumbs Down 2

13 hours ago, XtiRih said:

?

Xtina has earned more Grammy nominations and wins than Timbaland for his music and production. And let's not pretend that Christina's work hasn't influenced many new artists. She is the most talented vocal artist of her generation. 

So your last sentence is just crass

Although I can certainly assure you that all three of them have a better chance than Brandy :suburban:

i knew one of you would feel some type of way about it.

Maybe when the Hall has no more really significant artists to induct then they'll let Xtina in but her career has largely been a non factor in the music industry in numerous ways. she was a popstar who could definetly sing, but her vocal template was already crafted before she even debuted and so she didnt advance that. Her music has been influential sure but not to the point where is stands above any of her peers or even artists who came after her. Heck Kendrick Lamar, Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift will all be let in before Xtina based on their gigantic and singular acclaim and influence that Xtina just... doesnt have respectfully.

3 minutes ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

i knew one of you would feel some type of way about it.

Maybe when the Hall has no more really significant artists to induct then they'll let Xtina in but her career has largely been a non factor in the music industry in numerous ways. she was a popstar who could definetly sing, but her vocal template was already crafted before she even debuted and so she didnt advance that. Her music has been influential sure but not to the point where is stands above any of her peers or even artists who came after her. Heck Kendrick Lamar, Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift will all be let in before Xtina based on their gigantic and singular acclaim and influence that Xtina just... doesnt have respectfully.

Nicki Minaj? Taylor Swift? Are you serious? 

Xtina literally influenced more people who can sing than all of her peers, so what you wrote now is complete nonsense. The fact that Xtina is irrelevant in your home does not mean that it is in everyone's home. Because if she wasn't a factor, she wouldn't have won 7 Grammy Awards (1999 first, 2023 - last), she wouldn't have been the youngest singer on the list of the 100 greatest singers ever, she wouldn't have received the Disney Legend award or this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_200_Definitive_Albums_in_the_Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame.

Moreover, Whitney was not respected in the industry long before her death (and her albums were not well-received). And she was introduced after death. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Britney, Coldplay and Rufus :clap3:

3 minutes ago, XtiRih said:

Nicki Minaj? Taylor Swift? Are you serious? 

Xtina literally influenced more people who can sing than all of her peers, so what you wrote now is complete nonsense. The fact that Xtina is irrelevant in your home does not mean that it is in everyone's home. Because if she wasn't a factor, she wouldn't have won 7 Grammy Awards (1999 first, 2023 - last), she wouldn't have been the youngest singer on the list of the 100 greatest singers ever, she wouldn't have received the Disney Legend award or this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_200_Definitive_Albums_in_the_Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame.

Moreover, Whitney was not respected in the industry long before her death (and her albums were not well-received). And she was introduced after death. 

a disney legend award? get serious :rofl:

anyone who xtina influenced with her vocals either is a non factor themselves or name drop Xtina's predecessors- aka Whitney and Mariah and so that already takes away from her legacy since she herself takes from them. winning grammys doesnt make you any more respected really- you gonna tell me Rihanna has a stronger legacy than Diana Ross (who's in the Hall btw)?

And yes, Nicki. The most influential female rapper of the 21st century, the most since the prime 90s days of Lil Kim and Foxy Brown, THE best selling female rapper and only one doing numbers to sit with her male counterparts. the one who has shaped the game for these girls- yeah that Nicki. Far more impact on the industry that Xtina and its very obvious whether you like it, agree with it, or even want to acknowledge it.

I dont care for Taylor that much but you cant deny her artistry and how above all, she's kept it the focus of her life for nearly 20 years now. Her influence is well felt and seen in music and many, many artists have vouched for it. More than Xtina im sure.

And lets not bring Whitney into this. Those who's legacies rise and set above others and who are already into numerous Halls of fame dont need to be discussed with those still trying.

18 minutes ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

a disney legend award? get serious :rofl:

anyone who xtina influenced with her vocals either is a non factor themselves or name drop Xtina's predecessors- aka Whitney and Mariah and so that already takes away from her legacy since she herself takes from them. winning grammys doesnt make you any more respected really- you gonna tell me Rihanna has a stronger legacy than Diana Ross (who's in the Hall btw)?

And yes, Nicki. The most influential female rapper of the 21st century, the most since the prime 90s days of Lil Kim and Foxy Brown, THE best selling female rapper and only one doing numbers to sit with her male counterparts. the one who has shaped the game for these girls- yeah that Nicki. Far more impact on the industry that Xtina and its very obvious whether you like it, agree with it, or even want to acknowledge it.

I dont care for Taylor that much but you cant deny her artistry and how above all, she's kept it the focus of her life for nearly 20 years now. Her influence is well felt and seen in music and many, many artists have vouched for it. More than Xtina im sure.

And lets not bring Whitney into this. Those who's legacies rise and set above others and who are already into numerous Halls of fame dont need to be discussed with those still trying.

i-have-to-laugh-lady-gaga.png

If you sleep better with it

Coldplay and 50 Cent

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.