Tweet critiquing America's mindless consumerism goes viral

GraceRandolph

24 minutes ago, Orsay said:

The majority of Americans have access to potable water from the tap. Of course in some areas like Flint it’s an issue but that applies to less then 5% of the overall population, so some of the comments in here are just demonstrably wrong

This video made me super sad the first time I saw it. Very dystopian and empty future ahead I fear. People have nothing meaningful to live for

Yeah the argument that Americans can’t drink tap water makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Tropez said:

Americans don’t have clean drinking water. So they use bottled water. Most developed countries you can safely drink from the tap. 

Yes we do, do you think the entire US populace lives in Flint, Michigan?  :ahh:

Also this video shows FRUIT JUICE bottles filled with water, meaning they reused the bottles and filled them with water.  Maybe whatever ya’ll are drinking abroad is slowly rotting away those brain cells 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, on the line said:

They'd be correct.

Typing this on my American laptop while I scroll on my American phone with my American iPad playing music.

Happy World Cup GIF by FIFA

God, it's good to be American!

Literally cult-like behavior. Yikes. :biblio:

• Thumbs Down 2

All this discussion about the water... Is no one gonna talk about the fact that’s not even actual water… it’s a “water beverage” with 46g of sugar.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Archetype said:

Also this video shows FRUIT JUICE bottles filled with water, meaning they reused the bottles and filled them with water.  Maybe whatever ya’ll are drinking abroad is slowly rotting away those brain cells 

If US tap water is safe, then why is the US the largest consumer of bottled water? Americans consumed nearly 130 liters of bottle water per capita each year. The consumption of bottled water is due to the belief that it’s cleaner than tap water. The other countries that consumed as much bottled water? Much of South America and Asia. Many of these countries that do not have safe tap water. 

You should also know that small towns, rural areas, and tribal reservations have the most unsanitary pipe systems in the US. Along with areas that are majority non-white also have water issues. Nearly 63 million Americans from NYC to rural California were exposed to extremely unsafe tap water in the last 10 years alone. 

The US is known for having some of the worst drinking water.  Due to relaxed regulations, the dumping of chemicals, and other industrial substances into water sources, the use of outdated pipes and lack of care to infrastructure. 

I can actually go on about this. But compare it to developed countries and you will see how nasty the water is in the US. 

• Like 1

I don’t understand the hate towards this family just… drinking water and eating snacks while spending time together :rip: yes using your children as influencers is questionable but they didn’t do anything in this video to deserve this kind of vitriol 

It really irks me when people drink bottled water. Such unnecessary waste. If you're worried about tap water not being clean just get a filter installed in your kitchen tap or buy a filter jug

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AMIT said:

Literally cult-like behavior. Yikes. :biblio:

LIFE SO SERIOUS. IN RUSSIA NO JOKE ALLOWED!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, on the line said:

LIFE SO SERIOUS. IN RUSSIA NO JOKE ALLOWED!!!!

Alright you were joking, but some people really be like that and most don't even realize this patriotism mess is so cult-ish in nature, even when they're not full swing MAGA nutty (or even American altogether). :rip:

• Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, AMIT said:

Alright you were joking, but some people really be like that and most don't even realize this patriotism mess is so cult-ish in nature, even when they're not full swing MAGA nutty (or even American altogether). :rip:

Haha yes I was 100% parodying those people. We are on the same page!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Archetype said:

I mean you have to admit that this video serves product placement. It’s not like it’s some random nice family video. It looks like an actual ad. So the consumerism thing makes sense. 

Nurse, she’s projecting again! 

and people say Americans have no culture

Twitter is so insufferable. You could post anything and someone will quote retweet it with some try hard think peace no one asked for. it’s annoying watching people hate EVERY thing

also clearfruit is fruit juice/water :rip: Its not like they poured a bottle full of dasani in a cup and even if they did, why is it our business :toofunny2:

that being said, apple and berry delight clear fruit >>

Edited by Cult Leader 𐕣𐕣
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

i’m more concerned about the ugly marble tile fireplace 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 45seconds said:

I mean you have to admit that this video serves product placement. It’s not like it’s some random nice family video. It looks like an actual ad. So the consumerism thing makes sense. 

The largest luxury consumer companies on earth are based in Europe, a continent that has allowed large conglomerates to buy up competitors and fix pricing while selling $30 shirts for $800 and marketing it to the middle class, tricking them into a cycle of unhealthy unsustainable consumerism and worst of all, fast fashion.  So instead of mocking a family for uploading a cringe vid using mugs, think about why they feel inclined to do so in the first place.

Not people bullying this family for drinking water and eating fruit :rip: Get off your high horse

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Archetype said:

The largest luxury consumer companies on earth are based in Europe, a continent that has allowed large conglomerates to buy up competitors and fix pricing while selling $30 shirts for $800 and marketing it to the middle class, tricking them into a cycle of unhealthy unsustainable consumerism and worst of all, fast fashion.  So instead of mocking a family for uploading a cringe vid using mugs, think about why they feel inclined to do so in the first place.

A whataboutism doesn’t actually answer the critique. 

This is a problem everywhere in different forms, not just the US.

But if you don't watch it, they'll go away.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.