Has Taylor's music video quality declined?

Revolution

∞  

57 members have voted

1. 1. ?

Inspired by this discussion on /r/SwiftlyNeutral.

Has the quality of Taylor's music videos declined since she started directing them?

Compare:

To this:

I don't think it has declined, it's just very incosistant 

Sure. It got even more childish, just like the music.

• Thanks 6
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

I HATE the cgi in her recent videos. It looks super cheap.

just like the music, she needs some people around her to say no, and maybe give some better ideas, but overall pop music declined since 2018 for sure...

• Like 2

i mean… they all flop now so clearly

Yes, but also nobody really gaf about music videos these days

Anti-Hero is still pretty good though

Edited by AndThenTheCocaine
  • Like 1

Her last great MV is End Game, maybe Delicate if we’re being generous :sorry:

• Thanks 1

yes but I think music videos have declined in general. Labels aren't giving huge budgets for them anymore since less people are watching them 

• Like 4

There’s a clear decline in budget, as most pointed out which makes sense with music videos not grabbing numbers anymore, but also cause her videos are very much self directed now instead of being extravagant infinite budget videos by Joseph Khan.

Pre 1989 and post reputation videos are very much on par.

Bejeweled and AH are cute imo but yes the other 3 are trash 

I really like Bejeweled and Karma mvs tbh

Yeah. She's not a great director and ruins the flow of music videos with unnecessary "comedic" scenes. Peaked during 1989 era + LWYMMD. But the videos were still pretty good from Lover to Midnights. Everything from Anti-Hero (excluding) on has been really bad with no replay value imo. 

Yeah, since she started directing them herself. She has this thing where she has to spell everything out visually or her ideas are really incongruent with the song, plus she primarily focuses on packing easter eggs in the video. I wish she’d focus on making her film and letting an actual director make her videos again. But also, I don’t mind it so much for Midnights bc the album is lackluster so why shouldn’t the videos be? (Lavender Haze deserved more.)

Edited by Obsession

I don’t know her discography and videography well but from what I have seen I’m leaning towards yes. Though in her defense I feel like artists are all kinda ignoring music videos these days as Youtube isn’t really important anymore to get points.

From the top of my head the only actual artist putting real efforts into his videos is Lil Nas X. 

Sadly, yes, but it's mostly because of the fact that she treats her videos as easter eggs hunts. I need her to bring back storylines and leave the comedic dialogues behind.

cardigan, willow, and I Can See You are very good videos, maybe some of her bests.

• Like 1

girl bring me quality even ME! video is better than her recent ones... 

1 hour ago, WEEKND said:

Bejeweled and AH are cute imo but yes the other 3 are trash 

karma is a good music video though 

littlebodybigheart

um, not really. her recent videos are better than the ones from the debut, fearless, speak now and red eras :michael: and the only string of better ones are the ones from 1989 and reputation, and those were joseph kahn productions with a huge budget.

i’d rather her direct her on videos even though they might not be as polished as joseph kahn’s because it gives her more of a layer as an artist and she’s being more involved in her craft.

1 hour ago, Obsession said:

Yeah, since she started directing them herself. She has this thing where she has to spell everything out visually or her ideas are really incongruent with the song, plus she primarily focuses on packing easter eggs in the video. I wish she’d focus on making her film and letting an actual director make her videos again. But also, I don’t mind it so much for Midnights bc the album is lackluster so why shouldn’t the videos be? (Lavender Haze deserved more.)

She has this thing where she gets older but just never wiser

Yes, but they're all still better than her music. "Karma" has nice MV, unlike the song, the same with "Anti-Hero". 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.