Good Grief | Netflix | Written, directed and starring Daniel Levy

Lovett

GoodGrief_Painting_Akiko_Vertical_27x40_RGB1.jpg?resize=691,1024&ssl=1

Marc (Dan Levy) was content living in the shadow of his larger-than-life husband, Oliver (Luke Evans). But when Oliver unexpectedly dies, Marc’s world shatters, sending him and his two best friends, Sophie (Ruth Negga) and Thomas (Himesh Patel), on a soul-searching trip to Paris that reveals some hard truths they each needed to face.

“Good Grief is a cautionary tale about friendship and loss and all the mess that comes with it when the truth is something you’ve evaded for most of your life,” Levy said. “It’s funny, it’s bittersweet, it’s a project that’s helped me work through my own grief. And I hope it does the same for other people as well.”

• Thanks 1

LOVED this. Screenplay was great, and Ruth Negga was incredible, never seen her in a role like this. Her Sophia stole the movie for me :clap3: Himesh Patel was adorable in this too, Dan Levy great as always. 

Was thinking about starting this topic, but it's impossible to have a gay movie/TV series thread without any annoying negative & miserable comments on ATRL. 

Edited by Hector
  • Like 2

Oh I’m so watching this tonight! Is this based on the book by Brianna Pastor?

I watched it yesterday as it came out. It was okay. I thought it was going to go more into the feelings and the grief aspect but it didn't, it was very surface level, rich people walking up and down, extreme privilege, jumping over to Paris just like that where of course you have your own lavish apartment, no one has to show up at work. In spite of all this it was a solid 7/10 movie but nothing exceptional.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SinnerCity said:

Oh I’m so watching this tonight! Is this based on the book by Brianna Pastor?

No, it's an original story.

It’s ok. Honestly, towards the end it becomes a bit of a Hallmark/Lifetime movie. Was expecting more. 

This is ok. Dan Levy’s acting in this is questionable though. Whenever he delivers a line it feels insincere or cringy :skull: especially that monologue about loss :skull: 

Ruth ATE in this movie she steals all the spotlights and dances circle around everyone. It almost feels like she’s the actual MAIN character of this movie.

Edited by Likingstars
  • Like 1

it's okay... Ruth is the star. it would have been much better without Dan. he just is not a convincing actor here. overall 2.5/5

• 2 weeks later...

Love Dan but this was mid

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.