• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badgalbriel

• Solaria

• RideOrDie

• TensionThingz

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's the type of music she makes, but I've never taken her seriously as an artist or individual. She gives me "phones in" vibes. I could be completely wrong, but she just isn't interesting enough musically or personally to follow her or even think of her as a MPG. 

• Like 1

Dua was always a fad. she has no musical identity and FN just happened to be a fluke just like Teenage Dream. she tried to recreate it with Houdini but the disco fad has run its course in pop music. she should wait for the newest trend and then come back. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

sorta kinda, houdini flopping surely isn’t helping and her still not having an actual fanbase after all these years is…

she’s gonna get katy’d sooner or later 

• Thumbs Down 1

She was never going to have longevity.

The IT factor just isn't there with her I'm afraid.

I think it's too early to say, an underperformance can happen to everyone, we'll see with the next singles-project, although her success has always been driven by payola and label push, we'll see, but I definitely agree about the 'faceless', 'lack of charisma' arguments, I really don't find her interesting at all and you can tell several users in here were stanning the success and not the artist the moment they immediately dropped the 'Houdini' avis when the song turned out to be a flop.

• Thanks 1

Dua definitely seems to be mimicking a more Beyoncé-like career shift right now, transitioning from radio friendly pop girl (Dont Start Now, Levitating, New Rules) into a more sophisticated, acclaimed respected artist and performer (Houdini). DL3 will probably be her 4, underperforming singles left and right but she will solidify a touring fanbase and won't really flop even if it seems like a career lull.

• Haha 7
  • Thumbs Down 1

I watched her as she go Houdini. 

5 minutes ago, Dolce Vita said:

Dua definitely seems to be mimicking a more Beyoncé-like career shift right now, transitioning from radio friendly pop girl (Dont Start Now, Levitating, New Rules) into a more sophisticated, acclaimed respected artist and performer (Houdini). DL3 will probably be her 4, underperforming singles left and right but she will solidify a touring fanbase and won't really flop even if it seems like a career lull.

Aren't you supposed to solidify a fanbase with radio friendly bops before diverting into more sophisticated sounds? :skull:

yes, she's over. it seems like she's following in katy's footsteps (houdini is her rise), the inevitable string of flop singles is about to follow

She released a dance song in the middle of Christmas music season. Relax. :rip:

• Like 1

I still remember when people were calling this girl "the next Madonna". :redface: Dua was never really that interesting to begin with. New Rules was a cute song but the rest of her debut was boring and forgettable. Then she released a disco-influenced album when that sound was dominating pop. I remember being so excited when FN dropped but that excitement quickly faded away. Nowadays, I listen to maybe 3-4 songs from that album. Plus, she doesn't really have any memorable pop girl moments.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

No I think she can still score a hit here and there

• ATRL Moderator

Should I merge this with the megathread?

• Haha 1

dua fans are so annoying theyre the overtly pretentious club kinda gays so i dont like her, but well im not even active under any pop fanbase anymore kpop >> has always been my fav

i dont like dua lipas music so i voted yes

so far she's Katy Perry lite, I wouldn't call her a fad just yet

1 hour ago, Alexz said:

Houdini seems to have killed her career entirely

It's literally Top 5 in the UK without the xmas songs. She's more than fine and this thread will be bumped and clowned in the future, as usual.

She's a classic single artist with a minimal fanbase. Her songs need to be both good and catchy to do well.  But if they are, she can dominate.

Houdini was just a bit bland and still performed okay. As long as her next single is actually good, she will do fine .