Better hit songs: Taylor Swift or Beyonce ?

ttsmu

Better hit songs: Taylor Swift or Beyonce ?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Better hit songs: Taylor Swift or Beyonce ?

• Shake It Off - Blank Space - Cardigan - Love Story - AntiHero - All Too Well - Cruel Summer
    • Crazy in Love - Halo - CUFF IT - Single Ladies - Naughty Girl - Formation - Run The World

all too well and cardigan are so good but beyoncé is just way more consistent even her biggest dud i.e RTW is not as bad as SIO.

Beyonce's hits are VASTLY more interesting musically Taylor doesn't have any hit records with strange tonalities like "Single Ladies", rapid fire changes in percussion like "Say My Name" that adapt European production trends (in that case UK breakbeat) to American styles, innovative sampling that fuses old and new like "Crazy in Love", crazy vocal acrobatics like "Love on Top", or ultra sophisticated futuristic production like "Drunk in Love".

Whereas all of Taylor's hit songs tend to follow four chords, no changes in tempo, same repetitive drum pattern, classic pop song verse/chorus structure, very straight-forward pop rock template. "Cardigan" is an exception but it wasn't one of her biggest hits.

If you compare album tracks they're more on equal footing because each has done interesting work, but Taylor's hits always tend to be low hanging fruit musically speaking.

Edited by Psyduck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Psyduck said:

If you compare album tracks they're more on equal footing because each has done interesting work

If this was 2010, maybe.

Taylor swift has yet to release a record even remotely as bold, daring and  musically & conceptually ambitious as any of Beyoncé's albums in the past 10 years. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Random selection :rip: But it's Beyonce.

Amazing:

Crazy in Love

Cuff It

Naughty Girl

Formation

Great:

Run the World

Good:

Single Ladies

Cardigan

Blank Space

Love Story

Cruel Summer

Meh:

Halo

Shake It Off

All Too Well (assuming 10min version)

Bad:

Anti-Hero

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

24 minutes ago, ttsmu said:

The other thread with Madonna's classics v's Taylor's was a landslide though.

This one is more 'comparable'.

Yeah, both Beyoncé and Taylor are beneath Madonna.

• Thumbs Down 1

Clean songwriter!

It’s kinda getting to the point where you can’t even compare Bey vs Tay anymore. Kinda like how we can’t compare Bey vs Rih. They're artistry couldn’t be any more different.  They’ve hit such a career high that it’s to the point where they’re so much higher than already established legends. These ladies reached the mountain top and already won the “Game of Life.” You can’t compare them anymore just give them there props :coffee2:

weird to have Run the World as an option in a list of hits but ok.

the answer is still Beyoncé for me. kinda obvious, I know...but I think I'd say that even if I wasn't a stan of Beyoncé, as there are plenty of artists I'd vote this way for in this poll.

6 minutes ago, qegqeg said:

Beyonce thee hitmaker of course.

As far as smashes Taylor only really has 1989 singles. She has never been that impressive as a singles artist 

You're saying that as if Taylor wasn't the second biggest female in digital sales ever for singles and the biggest female on streaming :deadbanana4: she IS a bonafide hitmaker.

Edited by Popboi.

8 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

You're saying that as if Taylor wasn't the second biggest female in digital sales ever for singles and the biggest female on streaming :deadbanana4: she IS a bonafide hitmaker.

Beyoncé stans have lost their mind when talking about Taylor Swift they live in their own reality now.

• Thumbs Down 1

Beyonce:cm:

A lot of Taylor's hits are mid tbh lol

littlebodybigheart
1 hour ago, qegqeg said:

Beyonce thee hitmaker of course.

As far as smashes Taylor only really has 1989 singles. She has never been that impressive as a singles artist 

anti-hero and cruel summer are bigger than 5/7 of the 1989 singles and bigger than any single from beyonce since bush’s presidency so idk what to tell you…

Edited by littlebodybigheart

On 12/14/2023 at 9:29 PM, littlebodybigheart said:

anti-hero and cruel summer are bigger than 5/7 of the 1989 singles and bigger than any single from beyonce since bush’s presidency so idk what to tell you…

You;re HIGH as a kite if you think EITHER of those are bigger than Halo :deadbanana2:

littlebodybigheart
1 minute ago, satellites.™ said:

You;re HIGH as a kite if you think EITHER of those are bigger than Halo :deadbanana2:

i’m not comparing anti-hero and cruel summer to a song that didn’t go #1 in any big music market, i’m sorry. if you wanna do so then that’s your prerogative.

• Thumbs Down 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.