Album Leak Best of 2023 | SOTY Revealed! pg.3

Album Leak

Last year I complained about 2022 being a bad year for music and humanity. The latter hasn't changed for 2023 but I think I've gotten out of whatever musical slump I was in last year and I've managed to find plenty of good new music this time around. 

2023 was also a year of like, realizing things, and I've just realized that I'm not an album listener. I rather collect a few songs to my collection and leave the duds alone. Thus I am making the very brave choice of only ranking my top songs and not ranking any albums! 

This year, instead of ranking measly 20 songs, I'm going to be ranking 100 songs. I might also dabble into ranking some movies I've watched this year (from any year of release) and shouting out some of the best YouTube channels/videos of 2023 as well. We'll see how much energy I have left after posting all the 100 songs I have lined up lmao. 

General overview of music in 2023:  Disco and (emo) pop-rock seems to be going out of style (GOOD!), while DnB seems to be a trending genre that is being infused in other genres, which I welcome to some degree, knowing full well it's going to get old real fast. I'm not looking forward to the (depressive) singer-songwriter trend (a la Lana, Billie and Taylor) becoming even more pervasive. I don't need that, thank you. What is also concerning is that the music industry and fans have fully accepted and endorsed 2 minute songs. And even this list is full of them. I don't like it, but at this point I guess there's nothing we can do about it now.

I wish I had more time and energy to check out Japanese releases this year, but nothing major has happened in the Japanese musical landscape. From my brief excursion, there are a lot of artists with great production and decent vocals, but it's somewhat predictable and boring all around. Still, a lot of great songs made it into my list, and I'm eager to see what next year has to bring. K-pop on the other hand is just disappointment after disappointment. Where is the class, the talent, the elegance? Even the good cute concepts are kind of missing. I think I've just grown out of k-pop and I should be looking at k-indie, soloists and not idol group music. Perhaps that'll be my goal for 2024. Finnish music on the other hand is thriving for me, and I'd say almost 1/4 of the list is just Finnish girlies dominating, and I couldn't be happier.

General rules for the list

• 1 song per artist, otherwise it'd be too long and boring of a list and some artists just would just dominate.
  • I'm not sure why I omitted Finnish artists last year but this year I'm debuting some Finnish music to the list as well.
  • The cut off point for entries in 31.12.2022. 
  • I AM NOT DOING GRAPHICS, I HAVE AN ART BLOCK OKAY.
Edited by Album Leak

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Album Leak

• Spartak92

• Mr. Blue_Shirt

• Legend E

Best Of: Songs 2023 Spotify Playlist (excluding #3 Dedicated to Moonlight, because it is not available on streaming)
plays from SOTY->#99

Best Of: Songs 2023 List

100. Gabry Ponte - Easy On My Heart

99. Akemi Fox - give it to me

98. Immy - Sweet Nirvana 

97. Uffie - Oopsie

96. NMIXX - Love Me Like This

95. Baby Queen - All The Things

94. Toaka - Discord-disco

93. Moyka - Rear View

92. syudou - Gingiragin

91. DANA - Hungry

90. Rose Gray & Kungs - Afraid Of Nothing

89. anaïs - You Got Style

88. LVRA - clones (feat. girl_irl)

87. Mae Stephens - Cheeky But Charming (feat. KUROMI)

86. Låpsley - Paradise

85. Angelica - Bye Bye

84. NOIA - glitter blanca

83. AVA CROWN - Sky (feat. Öwes & Joe Kox)

82. King Gnu - IKAROS

81. ATARASHII GAKKO! - The Edge

80. Alice Auer - Baby, Cry

79. Alicia Creti - Strange

78. Remi Wolf - Prescription

77. パソコン音楽クラブ − Day After Day feat. Mei Takahashi

76. Vira Talisa - Like It Was Meant To Be

75. Mimi Webb - Freezing

74. Alice Ivy - Broke My Heart (feat. Mallrat & Jelani Blackman)

73. pin.sku - Tapan sut

72. Troye Sivan - Rush

71. Dreamilla & Aatulove - en sua haluu

70. Karina Magallon - Lucid Dreaming

69. Olivia Dean - Dive

68. Lucia & The Best Boys - Burning Castles

67. PinkPantheress - Mosquito

66. Aiida - August

65. ALMA - Run Run Run

64. Charlotte Cardin - Feel Good

63. Rachel Sermanni - Big Desire

62. Maria José Llergo - TANTO TIEMPO

61. Lola Young - Revolve Around You

60. NiziU - Heartris

59. LÈON - Dirt

58. Caroline Polachek - Fly To You (feat. Grimes & Dido)

57. Serafiina - Player

56. Emmeline - The Dance

55. Eli Rose - CDN

54. Anabel Englund - strangely sentimental

53. Tilly Valentine - Statue

52. Lyn Lapid - ok with it

51. FILLY - Discotheque

50. Luísa Sonza - La Muerte (feat. Tokischa)

49. Tkay Maidza - Love and Other Drugs

48. Luna Morgenstern - SOS/Stranded

47. Leadley - Thank You

46. MILLI - Puhu mut ympäri

45. ROSALÍA - LLYLM

44. XG - LEFT RIGHT

43. Elohim - Afraid To Fail

42. Fanny Bloom - Holistique 

41. Kylie Minogue - Tension

40. Lastlings - Holding Me Like Water (Mona Yim Remix)

39. Vera Wall - PULSSI

38. Laura Moisio - Päätös

37. Mili - Between Two Worlds (Realm Of Darkness)

36. Karen Harding - Wild Wild Water

35. Amaarae - Angels in Tibet

34. Oh Land - Bleeed

33. Olivia Ruiz - La Réplique

32. Catie Turner - Hyperfixations

31. Molly Burch - Physicaö

30. WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA - Mermaid

29. Elle Darlington - wish you would

28. LOVA - Nitty Gritty

27. BESS - Riivattu

26. London Grammar & CamelPhat - Higher

25. JEON SOMI - Fast Forward

24. Nuppu Oinas - Ruusuja

23. Ado - Show

22. CHÉRI & Chilla - Karma

21. RINNI - switch

20. Mall Boyz (Tohji & gummyboy) - Do u remember me

19. Riutta & Kasii - Kuutamolla (Se Ei Mee Pois)

18. Ari Abdul - BURY YOU

17. Vesala - Painajaisii

16. Runo - Entä jos

15. Elsa Brotherus - Kokonaan

14. Anna Sofia - I CAN'T FLY

13. Vilma Jää - Kosto

12. Apink - D N D

11. Sakima - Love On Repeat

10. Jess Glynne - What Do You Do

9. June The Girl - Hello Mr Slender Man

8. ELIO - A2B

7. Romy - One Last Try

6. Ruusut - Oppsei

5. Malla - Hidastan aikaa

4. NEEA RIVER - Cyanide

3. Masayoshi Soken - Dedicated to Moonlight

2. EastNewSound - 逢魔紅月、奉還ノ絶

1. SKYLAR x AC13 feat. piri - Crocodile Tears

Edited by Album Leak

2023 was not the worst year for music tbh, a big improvement over 2022 for albums at least :clap3:

perched for your song list :flower:

2023 for had a lot of great singles but the albums are kinda lackluster compare to last year to me nn

Perched for the list :clap3:

Best Of: Songs 100-91

PsCFMaa.jpg

100. Gabry Ponte - Easy On My Heart 

'' This samples Cascada's Everytime We Touch. I'm not saying that this version is better, I'm saying that Everytime We Touch has kind of a dated dance sound that needs a very specific vibe and moment for me to enjoy it. Gabry Ponte's version is more in line with my current music sensibilities so... yeah. ''

youtube

bLMCTSf.jpg

99. Akemi Fox - give it to me

youtube

3pqfd3N.jpg

98. Immy - Sweet Nirvana

youtube

gBqB1GL.jpg

97. Uffie - Oopsie

'' It's cute and fun, but nothing compared to most things in Sunshine Factory. Gives us more where does the party gos, dominoes', prickling skins, anna jetsons, sophias and cools! ''

youtube

R8nXNGh.jpg

96. NMIXX - Love Me Like This

'' Their best song, and at the rate they are going, their only good song for the foreseeable future. Congrats girls. ''

youtube

J9XSvFY.png

95. Baby Queen - All The Things

youtube

IDrYoMg.png

94. toaka - Discord-disco

'' That instrumental is sexy. The chorus is quite fun. Intrigued by what she comes up with next. ''

youtube

UGXyKDp.png

93. Moyka - Rear View

''  Was kind of iffy about it at first, but the song grew on me more that I expected! '' 

youtube

lhrXlY7.png

92. syudou - ギンギラギン

youtube

128Xfl8.png

91. Dana - Hungry

'' I don't know who you are but this is a really nice ballad queen! ''
youtube

need to check out some of these :eek:

3 hours ago, Alldeezy said:

need to check out some of these :eek:

That's really why I'm doing this, to shove my music taste in everyone's faces :mandown:

It's going to be a very eclectic list for sure!

i did not know that uffie released next year :duca: excited to see the updates 

2 hours ago, worldwide angel said:

i did not know that uffie released next year :duca: excited to see the updates 

I only knew she was releasing new music this year.. She has been really doing some great things recently, excited to see what future brings for her!

• Like 1

Love Me Like This is sooo Red Velvet during The Red era back in 2015 coded i'm kinda obsessed. Also it's kinda make sense that LDN Noise produced it

Everytime We Touch is very much sounds like its time but Cascada lowkey invented sampling the old songs and remaking it into a new song kinda way, like any current dance music this year. They were ahead of its time i fear :clap3:

4 hours ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

Love Me Like This is sooo Red Velvet during The Red era back in 2015 coded i'm kinda obsessed. Also it's kinda make sense that LDN Noise produced it

Everytime We Touch is very much sounds like its time but Cascada lowkey invented sampling the old songs and remaking it into a new song kinda way, like any current dance music this year. They were ahead of its time i fear :clap3:

Oh god, I completely forgot that the original Everytime We Touch was by Maggie Reilly, and I just learned this like a month ago in general :deadbanana2: 
Cascada kind of came and made that song their own lol. 

10 songs that I didn't know they existed lol, let's see...

100. Not bad, kinda reminds me 90's EDM

099. Uhh... no...
098. Nope...
097. Annoying IMO

096. They are so damn sexy but... no
095. So so...

094. Catchy.

093. This one is catchy too :smile:

092. So so.
091. Nope

Interesting first set

Best Of: Songs 90-81

XRbJoyy.png

90. Rose Gray & Kungs - Afraid Of Nothing

'' It's pretty generic dance music, but I have a hard time skipping it when it comes on because it's so.. comfortable, I guess? I also think Rose's vocal delivery is very nice. ''
youtube

KkRSp6w.png

89. anaïs - You Got Style

'' The chorus and last minute of the song carries the whole song. A bop. ''

youtube

HQAfRyI.png

88. LVRA - clones (feat. girl_irl)

'' Ooo that sort of industrial beat is HOT. Overall I think the song is good, but I think it could be better. Something is missing. But the instrumental.. mwah. ''
youtube

ZCsMWm5.png

87. Mae Stephens - Cheeky But Charming (feat. KUROMI)

'' It's very charming, just like it says in the song title! The 2:08 song length... I suppose that's the cheeky part. Wish it was a bit longer. ''
youtube

yC1SNHd.png

86. Låpsley - Paradise

'' Cautionary Tales of Youth was a fine album, with some career highs, Paradise being one of them, but also some meh duds. Paradise is definitely on the more mainstream pop side of the album imo, but I also enjoy 32 Floors, Dial Two Seven and Levitate. It's just that the final chorus of Paradise just kind of destroys careers, and Dial Two Seven was released last year so I can't add it to the list. Oop. ''

youtube

lEKqvIb.png

85. Angelica - Bye Bye

'' You could catch bees with the chorus, like it's so SWEET and SMOOTH.  ''

youtube

2n13blS.png

84. NOIA - glitter blanca

'' This song is like a musical alien parasite trying to crawl right through your speakers/headphones into your brain, but in a... positive way, because it's a nice parasite. ''

youtube

aEhLOzx.png

83. AVA CROWN - SKY (feat. Öwes & Joe Kox)

'' IS IT BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL? NO. Leave me alone about it. But there's something about this specific type of dance sound that takes me back to early-mid 2000s. And for that, I love it. ''

youtube

7Du4O7W.png

82. King Gnu - IKAROS

'' This song is expensive, luxurious, glamorous and rich as ****. But I tend to like more lowbrow music so that's why it's not higher in the list. Like it's amazing, but I need to concentrate on it to really take it all in and appreciate it, and I'm rarely in that head space when just casually listening to my bops. King Gnu remains geniuses though. ''

youtube

ir3qq9r.png

81. ATARASHII GAKKO! - The Edge

'' They are so much fun omg, but they are definitely a more comedic music group which often affects their musical output being extremely campy and not just run of the mill pop music. The Edge is definitely more... serious leaning for them, I guess, but even there you can notice from the vocal delivery that they are having fun with it, which I love.. in moderation, and The Edge has just that moderation I need.  ''
youtube

3 hours ago, Spartak92 said:

10 songs that I didn't know they existed lol, let's see...

100. Not bad, kinda reminds me 90's EDM

099. Uhh... no...
098. Nope...
097. Annoying IMO

096. They are so damn sexy but... no
095. So so...

094. Catchy.

093. This one is catchy too :smile:

092. So so.
091. Nope

Interesting first set

Thank you for taking the time to check out each song! Even if you don't like most (OR ANY) of it, it's still fun for me to see the reactions either way! 

• ATRL Moderator

Excited for this :duca: I don't know much but unfortunately for me that Lapsley album was a dirge to get through

Låpsley and LVRA are one of my favorite discoveries this year. Can't believe i just know about them now :dies:

That Mae Stephens song is actually more tolerable than the break up song she made that went viral on TikTok nn

Wasn't a big fan of the NMIXX song, I'd probably prefer all their title tracks over it except DICE :fan:

90. So so...
89. Not bad

88. Nope

87. Not a big fan of happy beats tbh

86. Nope

85. Kinda boring IMO

84. Oh a half spanish track... mmm nope

83. I know that I said "not a big fan of happy beats" but this is kinda cool, reminds me those DDR songs

82. Nope

81. Interesting, i'm digging it

Nice set, a really change of pace of what I usually listen to

22 hours ago, Album Leak said:

Thank you for taking the time to check out each song! Even if you don't like most (OR ANY) of it, it's still fun for me to see the reactions either way! 

No prob, I hate those "i don't know any of this songs" comments, I mean, there's a f***ing link to listen to it :rip:

Sadly haven't heard of any of these songs before :rip: 

But going to add some to my "check out" list based on their covers, alone! :allears:

Excited to see the rest of your list :heart:

oooh i want to check out angelica :siptea:

Edited by worldwide angel

will also need to check these out .. may do what sparks doing tbh :gaycat4:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.