Central Europe travel advice

makeme

I'm going to Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, and Budapest next May. Have any of you been to any of these cities or possibly live in one? What are the top sights I can't miss or restaurants I should visit? All advice is appreciated thank you :flower:

Skip Bratislava if you feel like you don't have enough time to explore the other three cities. Most people go to Bratislava for a couple of hours from Vienna and that's more than enough for them, while Prague, Vienna and Budapest need at least a couple of days to sightsee

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, VeniceBeach said:

Skip Bratislava if you feel like you don't have enough time to explore the other three cities. Most people go to Bratislava for a couple of hours from Vienna and that's more than enough for them, while Prague, Vienna and Budapest need at least a couple of days to sightsee

I’m doing 3 nights in the main cities and 1 night in Slovakia 

Vienna:

Schonbrunn Palace

The Prater (an amusement park that served as set for Before Sunrise. Try their kasekrainer which is this sausage filled with melted cheese. You can have it in a hotdog, it’s gorg.)

The Museum Quarter

Zentralfriedholf cemetery and check out Beethoven’s grave 

Hotel Sacher and try the original Sacher torte which is this indulging chocolate cake.  Vienna is known for its cakes and desserts.

The Belvedere 

Walk around old town

St. Stephen’s Cathedral

The Opera House

Rathhaus

Hundertwasserhaus which is such a quirky little building. Definitely worth getting in. 

Since you’re going in May, I’d suggest you to also go for a swim in the Danube. There’s this area outside of downtown Vienna but easily accessible by metro where locals usually go freshen up in the summer.

If you’ve one extra day, I’d also include a day trip to Hallstatt to your list. It is such a gorgeous place surrounded by the mountains (not sure if they’re the Alps yet but they’re breathtaking nonetheless).

I’ll come back later with my suggestions for Prague.

• Like 2

Vienna is amazing albeit a bit expensive. Basically everything @Beautiful Garbage suggested would be what I'd recommend seeing. I was there for 3 days and it wasn't really long enough. Definitely eat some cake or basically any of the traditional desserts, they're amazing. I also quite like the Grüner Veltliner wine you can get in Austria.

Budapest on the other hand is very cheap (tram tickets are like 30p lol) but there's a lot less there. You can see most of the sights in 2 days. I'd recommend going to the baths if they're open. The bars are fun too, hopefully at this time of year there won't be too many drunken British men out of stag dos (same for Prague) :rip:

The Buda caves tours are worth booking in advance. The "castle" is an art gallery which is pretty good and nearby is Fisherman's bastion which has a great view of the city (and it's free after a certain time, so worth checking if you don't want to pay).

There's an app for the public transport in Budapest which is super easy to use, you can scan the QR code on the metro, buses and trams and you can buy as many tickets as you like in advance. Normally cheaper to buy single tickets rather than a day pass.

I did Vienna and Budapest on the same trip. I wanted to go to Bratislava but I didn't have enough time since we did a day trip to Salzburg instead.

• Thanks 1

I spend a lot of time in Prague, I'd say it depends on how long you have there. The old town is beautiful and you should see it for sure (the clock, Charles Bridge) but tbh it is not the most interesting part of the city because it's unfortunately been turned into some sort of tourist disneyland that really has nothing to do with Czech culture.

That being said, you should definitely walk around old town and cross the Charles bridge to Malá Strana on your first day. Maybe from there go to Pražský hrad (the castle complex), you can buy a ticket to go inside some of the buildings if you want, but the castle complex itself is totally free to roam around and is one of the prettiest things in Prague. When you visit here, make sure to check out Nový Svět, which is VERY close to the castle but somehow always deserted—it's a stunning part of the city with very few people, very romantic and peaceful. Visit Kavárna Nový Svět while you explore this little area—probably my favorite little cafe in Prague with a cozy, hidden vibe. Malá Strana in generally is so beautiful and quaint. You should also see the complex in the south called Vyšehrad, very pretty place to walk around with some really interesting history. I'm not much of a museum person, but check out the St Cyril and St Methodius Cathedral, which is a super iconic location in Czech history with a free little museum downstairs dedicated to some of their national heroes that took cover from the Nazis in the crypt of the church and unfortunately committed suicide down there to avoid capture. This place made me cry a little bit but it feels important to visit if you're at all interested in history

Those are really the major must-do things imo. If you have more time check out Riegrovy Sady, which is a beautiful park with a great view of the city. there's a beer garden there where you can drink beer and enjoy the sights—one of my favorite things to do when it's warm in Prague.

Lots of good food here as well. If you want to try Czech food without getting ripped off you should go to one of the Lokál locations (my favorite is U Jiráta because it's very central and you don't need a reservation). If you're not vegetarian then the dishes you must try are Svíčková, guláš, and the duck (my fave). My other favorite place for czech food would be Hajnovka, which is close to the National Museum and only a couple minutes from Václavské Náměstí.  You could also visit Cafe Slavia or Cafe Louvre, but they are always PACKED and you need a reservation—not really my vibe but these places do have good food and are worth visiting at least once. If you're ever in the mood for a quick bite then stop by Zlatý Kříž or an Ovocný Světozor location for a chlebíček (open faced sandwich with several options for toppings—very popular among Czechs, cheap and delicious).  For sweets I'd recommend Větrník, Koláč, or a strudel. You'll see stand for trdelnik (or trdlo) ALL over the place here, but it's not Czech and kind of just a thing for tourists—Czech people don't really eat this. If you're not sober then you must try a classic Pilsner—Czech beer is actually delicious, and I say that as someone hated beer before I tried it here. If you like wine you can try some Czech wines (Moravia, the eastern part of the country, has a big wine culture) at a cute little wine bar called Na Skleničku.

If you want sweets then check out a bakery like Staročeská Pekárna. there's a lot of upscale, snobbish bakeries here but tbh this place is cheap, delicious, and a place that normal Czech people actually go to. I also would recommend Kavárna Šlágr, which is a retro bakery/cafe that's a short tram ride from the center. Prague has the best public transport system I've seen in Europe so don't be afraid to leave the center.

If the national theater is putting on any shows then it would be worth going to an opera/ballet/drama, the buildings are beautiful and the tickets are pretty cheap.

Some etiquette tips: Tipping is a thing here and it's polite to round up your bill. For example, if your total is 85 CZK then round it up to 100. tipping is weird here as they won't ask you for a tip, you have to know to tell them to round up. Also, Czech people always say hello and goodbye when entering establishments, so learning how to say those two things would be appreciated.

I could say more but I think that's a good place to start! Prague is my favorite place in the world :bird:

Edited by shookspeare
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Beautiful Garbage said:

Vienna:

Schonbrunn Palace

The Prater (an amusement park that served as set for Before Sunrise. Try their kasekrainer which is this sausage filled with melted cheese. You can have it in a hotdog, it’s gorg.)

The Museum Quarter

Zentralfriedholf cemetery and check out Beethoven’s grave 

Hotel Sacher and try the original Sacher torte which is this indulging chocolate cake.  Vienna is known for its cakes and desserts.

The Belvedere 

Walk around old town

St. Stephen’s Cathedral

The Opera House

Rathhaus

Hundertwasserhaus which is such a quirky little building. Definitely worth getting in. 

Since you’re going in May, I’d suggest you to also go for a swim in the Danube. There’s this area outside of downtown Vienna but easily accessible by metro where locals usually go freshen up in the summer.

If you’ve one extra day, I’d also include a day trip to Hallstatt to your list. It is such a gorgeous place surrounded by the mountains (not sure if they’re the Alps yet but they’re breathtaking nonetheless).

I’ll come back later with my suggestions for Prague.

Thank you for giving me a detailed list I just saved this all. I had some of these already on my itinerary  but i've added a lot more thank you! Doing little off the path things like Beethoven's grave will be really interesting. 

I'm staying in the center of old town so should be near a lot of the sights. Have you ever been to a show at the Opera house?

7 hours ago, shookspeare said:

I spend a lot of time in Prague, I'd say it depends on how long you have there. The old town is beautiful and you should see it for sure (the clock, Charles Bridge) but tbh it is not the most interesting part of the city because it's unfortunately been turned into some sort of tourist disneyland that really has nothing to do with Czech culture.

That being said, you should definitely walk around old town and cross the Charles bridge to Malá Strana on your first day. Maybe from there go to Pražský hrad (the castle complex), you can buy a ticket to go inside some of the buildings if you want, but the castle complex itself is totally free to roam around and is one of the prettiest things in Prague. When you visit here, make sure to check out Nový Svět, which is VERY close to the castle but somehow always deserted—it's a stunning part of the city with very few people, very romantic and peaceful. Visit Kavárna Nový Svět while you explore this little area—probably my favorite little cafe in Prague with a cozy, hidden vibe. Malá Strana in generally is so beautiful and quaint. You should also see the complex in the south called Vyšehrad, very pretty place to walk around with some really interesting history. I'm not much of a museum person, but check out the St Cyril and St Methodius Cathedral, which is a super iconic location in Czech history with a free little museum downstairs dedicated to some of their national heroes that took cover from the Nazis in the crypt of the church and unfortunately committed suicide down there to avoid capture. This place made me cry a little bit but it feels important to visit if you're at all interested in history

Those are really the major must-do things imo. If you have more time check out Riegrovy Sady, which is a beautiful park with a great view of the city. there's a beer garden there where you can drink beer and enjoy the sights—one of my favorite things to do when it's warm in Prague.

Lots of good food here as well. If you want to try Czech food without getting ripped off you should go to one of the Lokál locations (my favorite is U Jiráta because it's very central and you don't need a reservation). If you're not vegetarian then the dishes you must try are Svíčková, guláš, and the duck (my fave). My other favorite place for czech food would be Hajnovka, which is close to the National Museum and only a couple minutes from Václavské Náměstí.  You could also visit Cafe Slavia or Cafe Louvre, but they are always PACKED and you need a reservation—not really my vibe but these places do have good food and are worth visiting at least once. If you're ever in the mood for a quick bite then stop by Zlatý Kříž or an Ovocný Světozor location for a chlebíček (open faced sandwich with several options for toppings—very popular among Czechs, cheap and delicious).  For sweets I'd recommend Větrník, Koláč, or a strudel. You'll see stand for trdelnik (or trdlo) ALL over the place here, but it's not Czech and kind of just a thing for tourists—Czech people don't really eat this. If you're not sober then you must try a classic Pilsner—Czech beer is actually delicious, and I say that as someone hated beer before I tried it here. If you like wine you can try some Czech wines (Moravia, the eastern part of the country, has a big wine culture) at a cute little wine bar called Na Skleničku.

If you want sweets then check out a bakery like Staročeská Pekárna. there's a lot of upscale, snobbish bakeries here but tbh this place is cheap, delicious, and a place that normal Czech people actually go to. I also would recommend Kavárna Šlágr, which is a retro bakery/cafe that's a short tram ride from the center. Prague has the best public transport system I've seen in Europe so don't be afraid to leave the center.

If the national theater is putting on any shows then it would be worth going to an opera/ballet/drama, the buildings are beautiful and the tickets are pretty cheap.

Some etiquette tips: Tipping is a thing here and it's polite to round up your bill. For example, if your total is 85 CZK then round it up to 100. tipping is weird here as they won't ask you for a tip, you have to know to tell them to round up. Also, Czech people always say hello and goodbye when entering establishments, so learning how to say those two things would be appreciated.

I could say more but I think that's a good place to start! Prague is my favorite place in the world :bird:

Thank you for this really detailed guide im most likely going to do exactly what you suggested for the first day as i'm staying in the old town center and am near those places. I myself am also not really a museum person so your itinerary is perfect tbh. I did a bunch of research on restaurants in the area since i'm a little americanized with my appetite haha. Mainly only chicken/fish dishes or vegetation for me I try to limit beef and don't eat duck/rabbit/deer etc. 

These were the places I was considering if you kow anything about them

-          La Gare (French) / Coq au vin

-          La Piccola Perla or Gambero Rosso (Itilian)

-          Kozlovna U Paukerta (Czech)

-          Smíchovský radniční sklípek (Czech)

-          U Parlamentu (Czech)

And thank you again for such a detailed response you are literally the best I hope I enjoy Prague as much as you did. 

7 hours ago, glitch said:

Vienna is amazing albeit a bit expensive. Basically everything @Beautiful Garbage suggested would be what I'd recommend seeing. I was there for 3 days and it wasn't really long enough. Definitely eat some cake or basically any of the traditional desserts, they're amazing. I also quite like the Grüner Veltliner wine you can get in Austria.

Budapest on the other hand is very cheap (tram tickets are like 30p lol) but there's a lot less there. You can see most of the sights in 2 days. I'd recommend going to the baths if they're open. The bars are fun too, hopefully at this time of year there won't be too many drunken British men out of stag dos (same for Prague) :rip:

The Buda caves tours are worth booking in advance. The "castle" is an art gallery which is pretty good and nearby is Fisherman's bastion which has a great view of the city (and it's free after a certain time, so worth checking if you don't want to pay).

There's an app for the public transport in Budapest which is super easy to use, you can scan the QR code on the metro, buses and trams and you can buy as many tickets as you like in advance. Normally cheaper to buy single tickets rather than a day pass.

I did Vienna and Budapest on the same trip. I wanted to go to Bratislava but I didn't have enough time since we did a day trip to Salzburg instead.

Yeah so I for sure peeped that Vienna was the most expensive out of the 4 cities. I saw the cave tours and didn't know they were that nice but i'm going to look more into them now. Do you know the name of the app for Public Transportation in Budapest? 

Also where are you from if I can ask? I'm traveling from Florida this will be my 5th European Vacation.

2 minutes ago, makeme said:

Yeah so I for sure peeped that Vienna was the most expensive out of the 4 cities. I saw the cave tours and didn't know they were that nice but i'm going to look more into them now. Do you know the name of the app for Public Transportation in Budapest? 

Also where are you from if I can ask? I'm traveling from Florida this will be my 5th European Vacation.

The caves are super interesting, they've played a significant part in the city's history. We got a tour fully in English too which was handy 

The app is called Budapest Go.

I'm from the UK. Have been to mainland Europe quite a few times but when I went to Vienna and Budapest last year it was my first time visiting those particular places

@makeme Skip the night in Bratislava and extend the stay in Vienna by one day. Use that extra day to do a day trip to Bratislava. It's an hour by train and last time I rode it it was 14euro two-way. Bratislava can be seen in a day anyway. Staré mesto (Old Town) and the Bratislava castle, which is free if you just walk around the gardens, are pretty much the only two things worth seeing. Poor them :deadbanana2:. Also, try halušky - it's the one typical Slovak dish that is not commonly found in Czechia.

For Prague, users have given you enough suggestions. I'd say skip Vyšehrad. It's really nothing special and sort of hard to get to. There's a metrostation bearing the name Vyšehrad but it's a 20 minute walk to the actual castle. A scam! 

For travelling in Prague, get a day ticket or a 3-day ticket. Download the app Lítačka and buy the ticket directly on there. A 3-day ticket is 300 CZK, around 14euro. The city centre is pretty walkable anyway but Prague arguably has the best transport system in Europe (and the world imo) + getting to the Prague Castle can be a hassle if you don't go there by tram. The Národní muzeum (National Museum) is also l and cheap, if you are interested in the history of Czechoslovakia. 

Avoid trdelník as @shookspeare had already suggested and avoid the sweet knedlíky. You'd be disappointed. Restaurants in the city centre and expensive and are not always the real deal. I'd recommend Havelská koruna which is right in the heart of Old Town and it's where regular Czechs eat but it's a cantene-type-of-place and a high proficiency in Czech cuisine and basic knowledge of Czech is required so if you have a local friend with you. :cm:

Lastly, Czechs can be a bit.. cold, especially the older generation.

Are you travelling by train?

Edited by Pendulum

40 minutes ago, Pendulum said:

@makeme Skip the night in Bratislava and extend the stay in Vienna by one day. Use that extra day to do a day trip to Bratislava. It's an hour by train and last time I rode it it was 14euro two-way. Bratislava can be seen in a day anyway. Staré mesto (Old Town) and the Bratislava castle, which is free if you just walk around the gardens, are pretty much the only two things worth seeing. Poor them :deadbanana2:. Also, try halušky - it's the one typical Slovak dish that is not commonly found in Czechia.

For Prague, users have given you enough suggestions. I'd say skip Vyšehrad. It's really nothing special and sort of hard to get to. There's a metrostation bearing the name Vyšehrad but it's a 20 minute walk to the actual castle. A scam! 

For travelling in Prague, get a day ticket or a 3-day ticket. Download the app Lítačka and buy the ticket directly on there. A 3-day ticket is 300 CZK, around 14euro. The city centre is pretty walkable anyway but Prague arguably has the best transport system in Europe (and the world imo) + getting to the Prague Castle can be a hassle if you don't go there by tram. The Národní muzeum (National Museum) is also l and cheap, if you are interested in the history of Czechoslovakia. 

Avoid trdelník as @shookspeare had already suggested and avoid the sweet knedlíky. You'd be disappointed. Restaurants in the city centre and expensive and are not always the real deal. I'd recommend Havelská koruna which is right in the heart of Old Town and it's where regular Czechs eat but it's a cantene-type-of-place and a high proficiency in Czech cuisine and basic knowledge of Czech is required so if you have a local friend with you. :cm:

Lastly, Czechs can be a bit.. cold, especially the older generation.

Are you travelling by train?

Okay so I just sent in a request for my air bnb to extend the night in Vienna, Haha I didn't want to feel rushed but I guess I would probably end up bored in Slovakia. 

I am Traveling by trains the plan was the fly into Prague > Vienna > Bratislava > Budapest all by train then fly home from Budapest. I have a one way ticket to Prague and from Budapest 

Edited by makeme

Ew Bratislava, visit Košice instead.  :gaycat4: 

Prague is only one that I recommend tbh. Beautiful city, lovely people, good food 

Vienna is expensive, boring and pretentious 

Budapest is somewhat nice but people are not

Never been to Bratislava 

You should go to Poland. Kraków i Wrocław are beautiful and underrated.

Hyper masculine polish men are everywhere too :gaycat4:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.