+1000 Taylor Swift fans fainted at today's concert in Rio de Janeiro. One girl died.

aotearoa

TaylorNation was handing out water as the show went on, presumably at her and the tour team’s direction, but this couldn’t help as much as was needed of course. The no water bottles policy absolutely needed to be suspended given the circumstances

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badgalbriel

• Ash12345

• cat1867

• Steve Johnson

Where’s the official confirmation? 

It’s still just a tweet from an alleged family member/friend

54 minutes ago, DougAF said:

Girl there is literally NO way :rip:

The air temperatures for most of the city was more like 32C. But maybe the area where the stadium is was a bit hotter, and they were also calculating heat indexes (based off high humidity). That still would be much less than 60C. But then you also have to take into account the body heat of tens of thousands of fans packed together and jumping around which I'm sure could raise the temperature by several degrees.

According to this, a packed covered stadium with no A/C could have the temperature of the whole stadium increase by about 12C in a little under 4 hours across the whole stadium just from body heat.

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/big-game-braindrops-how-much-heat-do-80000-fans-give-off-during-the-super-bowl/97-ea54fc10-b308-448f-a7dc-59f99601be10

With an uncovered stadium like this one, it might cool a bit more, but the 12C increase was for the whole volume of a closed stadium - probably closer to ground level where the bodies are, it would be a bigger increase. Also the 12C increased assumed the fans were burning energy at a "normal" rate, basically behaving sedentary, unlike concert fans that are jumping around and burning more calories. So I think 45C with a 55C heat index at floor level would've been plausible tbh, and that's definitely quite dangerous.

Saturday might be even hotter by a degree or two so Taylor might have to cancel if she's not able to feel confident the water problem is addressed.

• Like 4

Holy **** that is so horrible if true. 

OMG what that's awful! I was at a Cinci show and it was EXTREMELY hot and humid. I can't imagine how must worse it would be if it was general admission seating. And normally stadiums don't allow you to bring in water but luckily Cinci allowed 2 water bottles per person. @starsailor

Edited by Walk_Away21
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, corotinho said:

It was at 140F at the stadium (amount of people together). In a desert, of course it recorded more than in Rio (out of the stadium)

Actually the global temperature record (for air temperature, not for ground temperature) is 56.7C (134F) at Death Valley, California.

Is it true that the show venue didn’t allow people to bring water? :deadbanana2: that’s insane

Edited by enchanted0

55 minutes ago, Tusk said:

It’s not.  It’s just been over hyped in the media due to blaming Covid-19 vaccines.

but anyone at any age can die from heat exhaustion.

Yeah, I was visiting Death Valley with school mates and it was around 45C and a couple of the girls in my group were feeling light-headed and nauseous just from being under the mid-day sun for 10-15min. And that was with very low humidity since it's a desert. Different people have a bit difference tolerances - I felt fine but I was still drinking a lot and I too only left the air conditioned car and visitor center for max 20-30min.

3 minutes ago, enchanted0 said:

Is it true that the show venue didn’t allow people to bring water? :deadbanana2: that’s insane

Most stadiums (all usa stadiums did) prevent people from bringing in water bottles to prevent stuff from getting smuggled in and to prevent water bottles from being used as weapons.

Venue staff is responsible for ensuring that there is free water for people. Staff were handing out free water in the GA. But they seemed to be significantly understaffed.

She's booked up for the next year so there's a good chance that  Saturday and Sunday can only be cancelled not postponed.

If the death is true, Taylor will put out a statement but it will likely be in the morning after her team has full facts + a plan.

Edited by cat1867

28 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Where’s the official confirmation? 

It’s still just a tweet from an alleged family member/friend

A prestigious news outlet here. Unfortunately it was confirmed :(

Unfortunately when you see crowds and hear news like this, you have to wonder why profit comes before safety. When you cram as many people in as possible, there's always this risk.

6 minutes ago, cat1867 said:

Most stadiums (all usa stadiums did) prevent people from bringing in water bottles to prevent stuff from getting smuggled in and to prevent water bottles from being used as weapons.

Venue staff is responsible for ensuring that there is free water for people. Staff were handing out free water in the GA. But they seemed to be significantly understaffed.

She's booked up for the next year so there's a good chance that  Saturday and Sunday can only be cancelled not postponed.

If the death is true, Taylor will put out a statement but it will likely be in the morning after her team has full facts + a plan.

The American stadiums in the areas that get really hot like Texas, Arizona and Nevada are also almost always covered, so it's easy to just turn the A/C on. 

They should hand out water bottles at the gate before the concert if it's hot like this. It'll naturally be hard to reach people once the concert started especially on the floor where people will be standing.

2 minutes ago, Steve Johnson said:

Since 11 am?  Why?  

GA so she was trying to get a spot closer to the stage.

3 minutes ago, Steve Johnson said:

The shows are definitely getting cancelled. 

No way, it would cause an even bigger mess plus very unfair to the other fans. Hopefully the organization is better prepared and give better support for the next two dates tho.

4 minutes ago, Steve Johnson said:

Since 11 am?  Why?  

Just now, Steve Johnson said:

Is it really worth your life in this intense heat? 

you’re so weird for even asking this

• Like 3

Just now, Gui Blackout said:

No way, it would cause an even bigger mess plus very unfair to the other fans. Hopefully the organization is better prepared and give better support for the next two dates tho.

Apparently they blocked the ventilation so that people from outside couldn't watch the show. Wtf? 

1 minute ago, Gui Blackout said:

I think everyone will understand the situation, tomorrow will be even hotter, Taylor will not risk it.

4 minutes ago, Taeyong said:

Taylor just posted about it :sad:

F_Md3vebYAAlMUo?format=jpg&name=large

I feel like this basically confirms it. :cries:  This is so heartbreaking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gui Blackout said:

City government will likely cancel. The stadium will need to prove that they can hold events safely.

Tomorrow is supposed to be ten degrees hotter.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.