What albums would be considered mid if poptimism wasn’t a thing?

St. Charles

Who are the ones who have benefited most (deservedly or not) from poptimism? How might they fare in an early 2010s climate?

Sorry if this thread has been done before, I didn’t see anything when I searched.

Both Olivia albums honestly. If those had come out in 2008 they would've been derided as basic teeny bopper music. Guts moreso

• Thanks 6
  • Thumbs Down 1

Nothing. The poptimism doesn’t affect GP’s opinion. No one in the real life cares about those critical review

7 minutes ago, HappierJealousy said:

Nothing. The poptimism doesn’t affect GP’s opinion. No one in the real life cares about those critical review

I’m talking about critical acclaim, my bad for not specifying. 

everything Taylor did from 1989 to Lover + Midnights

Edited by Raptus
  • Thumbs Down 2

14 minutes ago, Ron Ng said:

Rihanna's discography

Can you read? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Raptus said:

everything Taylor did from 1989 to Lover + Midnights

Except 1989 is quite literally the biggest contribution to the poptimism movement. :gaycat6:

715QvSHVBHL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I like the album, but a 78 MC score is a bit too much for what it is. I mean, albums like Stripped and Teenage Dream have low 50's, to compare.

Edited by blown away
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

MIDnights

It's a good Album But nothing ground breaking.

Midnights has low 60s (or even high 50s) on Metacritic written all over it.

I like Gaga but Chromatica should absolutely not have better reviews than Born This Way and The Fame.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Ron Ng said:

Rihanna's discography

This doesn't even make sense when 7/8 of her albums were pre-poptimism entirely and her only album released in that era (ANTI) received 0 its 8 Grammy noms and was not as acclaimed as other albums released in the same year while far outlasting most of them on streaming/BB200. Rihanna has never been overhyped by critics.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Something to Give Each Other. I wasn't in love with his two albums, but they're nostalgic because Troye's songwriting reminded me a lot about conflicting thoughts of "Will I go to heaven because I'm gay?" Troye is Jewish; I used to be Christian when I listened to his previous albums. 

This album actually sounds like a regression. It's basically Sad Boy Hours: The Album. I get that going through a breakup will probably inspire songs about that, but if it's not that, it's pining for a guy.

I'm a gay male, so don't take this as I'm a straight male trying to take up a queer space. 

I just wish artists had different things to talk about like... adversities they went through, events that changed their minds, friendships, the fear of dying, and so forth. 

I would honestly give the album like a 4.8/10.  

Edited by zasderfght

1 hour ago, Ron Ng said:

Rihanna's discography

Rih’s discography was released before poptimism… the braindead

• Haha 1

SOUR
GUTS

Montero

BTS discography

Edited by Cheers

Lover 100% -mess at it being her highest acclaimed album pre-2020s in her critical acclaim era 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.