• TLC - “No Scrubs”
  2. 2. Song of the Year

• Backstreet Boys - “I Want It That Way”
    • Ricky Martin - “Livin La Vida Loca”
    • Santana - “Smooth”
    • TLC - “Unpretty”
    • Shania Twain - “You’ve Got A Way”

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/19/2023 at 11:09 PM

In the 1999 poll, Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On” retained its Song of the Year win in a landslide victory with 63% of the vote, and also managed to edge out Madonna’s “Ray of Light” to hold onto its Record of the Year trophy. 

The following year, Carlos Santana swept the big three Grammy categories, taking home Record and Song for “Smooth.” Will Santana follow in Dion’s footsteps and keep both of those wins, or will ATRL crown a new Song and/or Record of the Year for 2000?

Vote now!

Edited by Achilles.

ROTY: Smooth 100%
SOTY: Smooth as well

Correct picks!

• Thanks 1

Cher - RoTY, TLC - SoTY.

The amount classics :redface:

Smooth deserved both but I would give it to unpretty for soty for its message 

It’s Cher and Shania for me. 

• Like 1

Record should've been Believe.

Song should've been I Want It That Way.

Smooth deserved ROTY with Believe a close second

Unpretty is SOTY 

Oh Cher clears for ROTY. the fact that the sole grammy she has is for believe and it wasnt this category is disgusting when it was the most innovative and popular song that year too.

SOTY was tricky. Unpretty is my fave here but it feels too "find your inner strength" for me to give it over several other better songs even though its a gorgeous song. it was between ricky and santana for me and i went with the later ultimately. 

SOTY: smooth 

AOTY: TLC

Believe

Smooth

I can’t believe You’ve Got a Way was nominated :rip: banger but I thought it made no noise.

9 minutes ago, Tylerbv said:

I can’t believe You’ve Got a Way was nominated :rip: banger but I thought it made no noise.

It was featured in Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant’s smash romcom Notting Hill, which probably helped boost its profile. It might just have been a namecheck, too. The Come On Over era was still smashing at that point. Kinda random that she chose to submit that instead of “Man! I Feel Like a Woman!,” which won Female Country Performance that same year. 

11 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

It was featured in Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant’s smash romcom Notting Hill, which probably helped boost its profile. It might just have been a namecheck, too. The Come On Over era was still smashing at that point. Kinda random that she chose to submit that instead of “Man! I Feel Like a Woman!,” which won Female Country Performance that same year. 

I’m Canadian so all her stuff got the same airplay during that era and i NEVER heard YGAW. I’m happy it found some success, but I would’ve assumed she would have submitted the inferior Man!

1 hour ago, Tylerbv said:

Believe

Smooth

1 hour ago, Achilles. said:

Maybe they submitted it since YGAW was more lyrical and has more of a serious tone for song of the year which is supposed to be more about the lyrics. MIFLAW should have definitely been submitted to Record of the Year if it wasn’t 

I'm giving Record to Believe because the auto-tune was revolutionary

And Song to I Want It That Way because it's so melodically perfect

No shade but lol at that random Shania song being in SOTY over Baby One More Time

Edited by Psyduck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.