What's the worst thing you've heard someone say about a group of ppl IRL?

BrentB

What is the worst thing you've heard people in your day to day life (outside the web) say about a particular group of people?

So I'll just list a few that I've heard personally:

For gays, I'd say the worst I've heard is a person in my family saying that the victims of the 2016 Pulse shooting were just being punished by god (as "tragic as it may have been"). 

For racism, the worst might be when an old white dude called my friend's uncle a monkey in a road rage incident, while me & my friend were there sitting in the car & watching it all unfold as kids :rip:

For sexism, the worst might be an Andrew Tate fan boy at a former workplace saying that men need to return to making all the bread & housewives must make a comeback (Handmaid's Tale teas)

Edited by BrentB

• ATRL Moderator

just tonight my grandpa said "why are all these fat people in commercials now?" :skull:

• Haha 12

2009 we had a thing called black friday (not the sale but entire victoria was on fire just about) it was before I moved away and a bunch of people from school were like who cares about those people it's there fault for living down that way, and when I donated my lunch money one ***** was like do even know these people? get over it

like I was so disgusted in those people :biblio:  place where the fires were I lived there for 10 years after that. and hearing all there stories it made me boil about those people from school.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Element said:

just tonight my grandpa said "why are all these fat people in commercials now?" :skull:

he got a point :michael:

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 4

omg i was on a date about 6 years ago and we were in an Uber going past manchesters gay village and he looked at one of the gay clubs then turned to me and said ‘sometimes i just want to blow them all up’ :rip: so probably that

1 hour ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

he got a point :michael:

He made zero points. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

stop any eastern european on the street and ask them anything related to current events or social issues and youll want to kill yourself on the spot

• Haha 1

Older brother expressing sinister opinions about the LGBT community that would get me WP’s to post on here the past few years just for his daughter to enter a relationship with another woman this year, isn’t that how it always works? 

• Like 1

My sister and I make a lot of self-deprecating jokes about our own ethnicity 

just yesterday a co-worker said there was more freedom and it was overall better to live under Spain's Francoist dictatorship than now. she also said every person with leftist beliefs, every immigrant and every person from the LGBT community (except her niece) should be killed. had to get out of my work place to take a break for like 10 minutes cause it was too much, it's pretty wild out here. :chick3:

I feel like this thread gives everyone an opportunity to say so discriminatory **** about some other people. I’ve heard plenty of hateful **** about different groups of people. It doesn’t make it right. It doesn’t make it okay. People have heard plenty of hateful epithets about different groups but it doesn’t mean that they need to be repeated. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, May said:

omg i was on a date about 6 years ago and we were in an Uber going past manchesters gay village and he looked at one of the gay clubs then turned to me and said ‘sometimes i just want to blow them all up’ :rip: so probably that

What?! :mazen:

1 hour ago, loveisdead9582 said:

I feel like this thread gives everyone an opportunity to say so discriminatory **** about some other people. I’ve heard plenty of hateful **** about different groups of people. It doesn’t make it right. It doesn’t make it okay. People have heard plenty of hateful epithets about different groups but it doesn’t mean that they need to be repeated. 

Yeah, ATRL used to be great when the site kept it about the music. 

I'm as progressive/left/liberal as they come, but the amount of internalized homophobia and racism I have seen on here is astounding. And people wonder why society hates white gays-- we are not much better than our straight counterparts when it comes to politics. A lot of us like to believe we're liberal and progressive, and already there's two comments on here endorsing fatphobia. Not good. 

• ATRL Moderator
6 hours ago, elevate said:

But not for too long :mandown:

PLEASEEEE I just cackled 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, loveisdead9582 said:

Any thread that deals with this type of stuff can be a double-edged sword really. And for a lot of us, these hateful epithets were directed towards us (not some passive-aggressive secret glimpse into our true thoughts). Repeating these kind of things can also be a form of therapy too. I know it helps me feel like I'm not alone when it comes to being talked crazy to about who I am (what I represent). 

I'm ashamed to say that my mother has made many derogatory comments about Muslims throughout my life. She has called them "towel heads," told my brother and I that she'd "kick our ass" if we bring one home. And I can distinctly remember a time when I was a child, we were on an elevator with an Arab man. After we stepped off the elevator she made a comment about how she was scared to be around "them" ever since 9/11. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.