Lana Del Rey - "Damn You" + "Hollywood's Dead" (Final 2012 Mix)

NOW

From the scrapped 2012 mixtape project.

Edited by NOW

the songs themselves are of course good, and have been good in their previously leaked formats

but i can’t believe we waited so long for these mixes specifically, they’re rly nothing special in comparison to the versions we’ve already had :rip: 

• Like 2

tumblr girlies are rejoicing 

• Like 1

Not the autotune still being on the finished version.  I waited 10 years to be disappointed 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

omg, I used to be obsessed with this song... I forgot about it until this topic! :chick3:

Edited by Summer Boy

Damn You snippet being better than the full I'm howling. :bibliahh: It seriously took 11 years to leak this garbage? 

'Damn You' now sounds like an unpolished fan-made demo when the actual demo was already perfect :katie: It would've been much better with re-recorded vocals and a better production, not like a mashup with BTD songs stems 

• Like 2

the BTD-ization :ahh: the demo was truly perfect... one of the demos... i forgot which one. :dies:  there's an amazing song hidden inside, she just needs to find the right version.

2 hours ago, Innocencelost said:

the “Cut” missing at the end of Hollywood’s Dead :sosad:

lol it just shows how demos so often end up being better than the final versions. i remember being scared there would be no shattered glass in the next best american record after the BAR demo (she ruined the song anyway with the flop lyrics).

still remember when certain infamous scammer on LanaBoards got the snippet along the BTD instrumentals from some music database :chick3: it's full circle

it's extremely disappointing though :skull: another Roses situation i fear

Edited by VENUSWAVE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VENUSWAVE said:

still remember when certain infamous scammer on LanaBoards got the snippet along the BTD instrumentals from some music database :chick3: it's full circle

it's extremely disappointing though :skull: another Roses situation i fear

now not too much on Grammyses... there's a piano version of it that leaked earlier this year (but only found yesterday :bibliahh:) if you haven't seen, maybe you'll prefer that. 

The production on Damn You sounds like the typical radio mix some of the BTD singles received (Summertime Sadness, Dark Paradise).

I didn't know there was a scrapped 2012 project. Was everything scrapped or did some songs make it on Paradise?

It's crazy how boxed in her BTD sound was. And while I love BTD, it's really crazy how ppl trash Jack these days and praise Emile (or even worse: Rick Nowels) almost as if they have forgotten how incredibly dull their productions were.

12 minutes ago, liquiddiamonds said:

Whats the backstory of this mixtape? Never heard of it

7 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

The production on Damn You sounds like the typical radio mix some of the BTD singles received (Summertime Sadness, Dark Paradise).

I didn't know there was a scrapped 2012 project. Was everything scrapped or did some songs make it on Paradise?

Shortly after BTD came out she talked about putting together a mixtape of songs that didn't make the album. These 2 were probably included since they got a final mix but plans shifted once she began putting together the Paradise EP which were all entirely new songs except for the Yayo rework.

My hunch is that the mixtape contained these songs: Damn You, Hollywood's Dead, Hit and Run, What's a Girl to Do, You Can be the Boss, Hundred Dollar Bill...they had the BTD feel but never made it into final tracklisting which they would have then been worked on by Emile Haynie.

Just now, ontherocks said:

It's crazy how boxed in her BTD sound was. And while I love BTD, it's really crazy how ppl trash Jack these days and praise Emile (or even worse: Rick Nowels) almost as if they have forgotten how incredibly dull their productions were.

I personally think Love is a career highlight for her. It revisited some of the BTD sonic palette but a bit of a refresh.

Edited by NOW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

These 2 songs would've sounded gorgeous with final Emile Haynie production but I'm glad she went the Paradise route...these wouldn't have stood out with the rest of the BTD songs and while Paradise isn't my favorite release, it did push her into raunchier territory beyond the 1960s pinup Americana dressup that stylized BTD.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.