Bigger Impact on Pop Music: Dua or Charli?

BANKS

Who’s had the bigger impact on pop MUSIC?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who’s had the bigger impact on pop MUSIC?

2. 2. Who’s had the bigger impact on pop CULTURE?

One has become a mainstream A-Lister.

One has been in the game longer. 

So who is it? :gaycat5:

Oooh this is a hard one, I’d say Charli has had more indirect impact spawning a longer period, like a slow drip

Dua impacted a whole genre for two years tho, and it’s a lot more obvious 

genuine question, what impact does Charli have? can anyone mention any examples?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kiss It Better said:

genuine question, what impact does Charli have? can anyone mention any examples?

she’s written a couple hits for artists (Same Old Love, Señorita, Fancy)… heavily influenced the Hyperpop wave… gay icon

Charli for both.

Some of the songs she's written are staples. Fancy & I Love It are remembered. I love it is known by almost everyone. 

Dua is probably tied with impact on music though 

Edited by differentkindahigh

Dua kinda really pioneered the whole Disco Pop into the mainstream with DSN, songs started coming out left and right with prominent Bass guitar over Disco beats and what not. Definitely there is artists going into to the studio telling producers to give them the Dua Lipa sound and I can’t imagine people asking for the Charli XCX sound. 

Dua Lipa of course :rip:

3 hours ago, Great808 said:

Dua kinda really pioneered the whole Disco Pop into the mainstream with DSN, songs started coming out left and right with prominent Bass guitar over Disco beats and what not. Definitely there is artists going into to the studio telling producers to give them the Dua Lipa sound and I can’t imagine people asking for the Charli XCX sound. 

Why would they not ask for a Charli XCX sound? She has credits on Señorita, Same Old Love, Fancy and I Love It. I mean technically she’s been bagging hits before Dua… 

5 hours ago, Kiss It Better said:

She’s brought attention to many artists due to her features. Icona Pop, Iggy Azalea, SOPHIE & the PC Music crew, RAYE, cupcakKe, Kim Petras, Caroline Polachek, Big Freedia, Troye Sivan… not saying they owe their careers thanks to her but that’s part of her charm; she tries to put underground artists out there for the masses. 

Charli is faceless in the way that she has many hits and nobody knows she wrote them

2 hours ago, Frappucino said:

She’s brought attention to many artists due to her features. Icona Pop, Iggy Azalea, SOPHIE & the PC Music crew, RAYE, cupcakKe, Kim Petras, Caroline Polachek, Big Freedia, Troye Sivan… not saying they owe their careers thanks to her but that’s part of her charm; she tries to put underground artists out there for the masses. 

did she really? cause none of them (except icona pop's i love it and iggy's fancy) even charted 

6 hours ago, Great808 said:

I loooove Future Nostalgia and think it’s a nearly perfect era that cements Dua as one of the all time pop greats. But she was not even close to being the first to work with Stuart Price to make a disco-infused pop album.

• Like 1

Honestly I feel like both of their "impact" is highly overstated by ATRL. The disco pop trend for example was the epitome of "came and went".

Edited by Danes
  • Thumbs Down 1

15 hours ago, Kiss It Better said:

did she really? cause none of them (except icona pop's i love it and iggy's fancy) even charted 

I thought RAYE went #1 on the UK, no? I don’t have the time right now but maybe you can look up where it charted on the US… among other stuff. 

52 minutes ago, Frappucino said:

I thought RAYE went #1 on the UK, no? I don’t have the time right now but maybe you can look up where it charted on the US… among other stuff. 

Raye has a collab with Charli that went #1? :confused: i thought only Escapism went #1 and that doesn't feature Charli

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kiss It Better said:

Raye has a collab with Charli that went #1? :confused: i thought only Escapism went #1 and that doesn't feature Charli

Not even close to what I said, it’s too early for this.   :deadbanana4:

7 hours ago, Frappucino said:

RAYE's success has nothing to do with charli xcx in any capacity whatsoever :rip: 

but I see what you're trying to say with Charli putting on more underground artists on her songs, although she seems to have moved on from that now too and is now back to chasing faceless hits. However, as a result she's lowkey dampening her legacy as a hyperpop icon by going back to pop again fff 

That being said, neither of them have had a actual long-lasting impact on pop music tbh?

The disco trend that Dua co-introduced along with Doja Cat and The Weeknd died out in a year or two so what else is there that she has actually impacted? Charli shifted and brought exposure to the hyperpop scene back in 2016-2019 so at least she has that... but that genre is still too niche and hasn't made much of an impact on the mainstream outside of "Unholy" (which is already a stretch to refer as hyperpop but I guess the elements are there) so it's too early to say if it'll ever actually catch on.  

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 1

As much as I love charli xcx and her fan bases are quite widely based I've seen even metalheads like her but when it comes to success dua definitely has that in the bag.  She's more radio friendly and I never hear Charli on the radio except triple j. 

I dont even know a charli song, her most famoust work for me is with iggy and pablo vittar lol

That answers ur question?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.