Are Billie & Olivia's careers mimicking Taylor & Gaga?

Machete

I am noticing that Billie and Olivia's career trajectories seem to be an exact mimic of Taylor and Gaga's.

The analogy is:
dont smile at me = Taylor Swift

WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP WHERE DO WE GO? = Fearless

Happier Than Ever = Speak Now

SOUR = The Fame/Monster

GUTS = Born This Way

Each comparison explained:

Spoiler

dont smile at me = Taylor Swift

Definition of a slow burner. Got them some starter-pack hits and built a niche audience in preparation for a smash. Both projects reached their peak on the charts nearly two years after release as the artist began rolling out their second album.

WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP WHERE DO WE GO? = Fearless
Breakout SMASH. Won AOTY and multiple Grammys.

Happier Than Ever = Speak Now
Big commercial downturn with nothing to cover up that fact. Did not yield any chart hits (although Happier Than Ever song became a slow-burn smash over time). Was received mildly by general public.

SOUR = The Fame
SMASH SMASH SMASH. Generated multiple hits. Did not win AOTY but the success was by far enough to make up for it.

GUTS = Born This Way
Deep sophomore slump. The success of its lead singles and the album debut being bigger than its predecessors might lead some to think otherwise, but the complete lack of longevity especially compared to the predecessor is where the tea lies. For instance SOUR did 55 weeks top 10, while GUTS is now projected to leave the top 10 after a mere 7 weeks; The Fame did 51 weeks top 10 and Born This Way did 6. Both albums also received from GP criticism for not being as fresh sounding as the previous. 

Looking onward:

BE3 = RED?
RED was a commercial uptick from Speak Now and became Taylor's biggest album outside of the US at the time of release. Going into BE3 Billie is coming from the HTE era ending off with a nice smash (title song) and the obvious Barbie-assisted smash of What Was I Made For. Seems like a commercial uptick is in her cards.

OR3 = ARTPOP?
ARTPOP was a STEEP commercial decline after an underperforming sophomore. No quick-peak singles were able to save it. The GUTS era is seeming to end off on a bad note with no new hits brewing up and the currently released post-lead singles flat out bombing. It is very possible such a decline can be coming Olivia's way.

So do you agree? Will BE3 be Billie's RED (success uptick and acclaim peak) while OR3 is Olivia's ARTPOP (career keeps going downhill).

Discuss.

Edited by Machete
  • Like 3

When you think about Billie and Olivia mimicking someone, Lorde and Lana Del Rey comes to mind.

No one thinks about Gaga or Taylor. Especially not Gaga.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

And Dua = Rihanna

DL1 - MOTS

DL1 (CE) - A Girl Like Me

FN - GGGB

FN (ME) - GGGB Reloaded 

DL3 - Rated R (? 

:msmarvel:

Hm...I think it should be the other way around Bille and Gaga and Olivia and Taylor.

You can't have it both ways, Billie stans don't even count Don't Smile At Me as a debut

2 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

You can't have it both ways, Billie stans don't even count Don't Smile At Me as a debut

And Swifties hardly count TS with the "mixtape" joke...

Both Fall Asleep and Fearless were their artist's mainstream debut out of their niche audiences (alternative teens & country listeners).

huh? y’all just say anything 

• Haha 1

Good luck booking that sacRED you speak off :coffee2:

also, SN sweetie…

Edited by Michael196

Billie may not be as big as Tay but simply in terms of career patterns (debut that had longevity and peaked way later, huge sophomore breakout - yes I know WWAFA is technically her debut but eh, decline third era but still successful)… I can see the comparison.

And I do think her next album will be more successful than HTE.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

Guts is nowhere near as massive culturally as Born This Way.

BTW is only massive "culturally" to gay men :rip: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Kayseri Mantisi said:

When you think about Billie and Olivia mimicking someone, Lorde and Lana Del Rey comes to mind.

“Vampire” peaked at #1 in the U.S.  “Green Light” peaked at #19. :dies:

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I can’t really see Olivia having an ARTPOP era, she might flop but it won’t be like how Gaga did with ARTPOP. I also don’t think Olivia ever held the same status as Gaga did in her prime. Her branding is closer to early Taylor if anything while Billie is in a way closer to Gaga both in branding and celebrity status

I think ultimately trying to draw parallels between artists across generations - something stans have always been tempted to do for whatever reason - is pointless because each individual artist has her own trajectory; we never really know what’s coming next for any of them

Edited by Orsay
  • Like 1

maybe when it comes to charts and sales but that's about it💀 born this way had poor longevity but it was mostly because of how massively overexposed she was and the gp got tired of her gimmicks... meanwhile GUTS underperformed cause the gp just got bored of olivia edgy "gen z" music, if anything olivia career is shaping up to be like avril, forever known as the "not like the other girls" singers and everyone getting tired of it

5 minutes ago, mojitos said:

maybe when it comes to charts and sales but that's about it💀 born this way had poor longevity but it was mostly because of how massively overexposed she was and the gp got tired of her gimmicks... meanwhile GUTS underperformed cause the gp just got bored of olivia edgy "gen z" music, if anything olivia career is shaping up to be like avril, forever known as the "not like the other girls" singers and everyone getting tired of it

BTW had poor longevity because the singles didn’t click with the GP. The title track died after a month and a half, Judas was DOA and they rushed out Edge of Glory at the last minute. It probably would’ve sold better had EOG had more time in the public. She abandoned hooks and melodies for the noise that album ended up being.

I agree that Olivia will gradually disappear. Her 3rd album will be overlooked unless she expands beyond her current sound/image.

I don’t really follow Billie enough. She seems kind of random and all over the place.

Edited by Rico Shameless v2

i don't really get why everyone is so ready to write off GUTS :deadbanana2: the era will probably pick up steam once the tour starts 

Yes. Billie’s Red is coming with two major smash hits and artistic future classics as album tracks.

Olivia perhaps will resemble Cyndi Lauper's.

Smash debut album, hit sophomore album, decent 3rd, and the 4th is absent from the charts; however, Cyndi thrives in other industries such as broadway/musicals.

Edited by Junipero

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.