can a female rapper succeed today without selling sex?

tili33

can a female rapper succeed today without selling sex?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. can a female rapper succeed today without selling sex?

How do you define success?

Is there such a thing as a successful gospel female rap album?

bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f

05c4edc831bd276fea1e9c421c225d61.jpg

Edited by Maroonx

2 minutes ago, Domination said:

How do you define success?

3 songs on the hot100 each with multiple weeks in the top 10 in a year. at least 1 solo.

It’s extremely hard to without selling sex for any genre. Look at Taylor Swift’s “****!” Or the erection painting from Omar Apollo. It’s not just female rap. I prefer the raunchy stuff to the hint hint nudge nudge wink wink sex talk though. 

i want to edit this to remind everyone of the genius that is Lauryn Hill. She’s a perfect example of how brilliant you have to be to make an impact without selling sex. Tierra Whack comes to mind, Noname, Rhapsody, Bahamadia for a throw back. But you have to truly be a genius to make an impact these days without the shock factor in there 

Edited by Mornings
  • Like 3

Dr. Alexander

I think about this quite frequently. I think if a female rapper dressed and presented herself conservatively but her artistic vision and bars were fantastic, I think she probably would end up as the biggest selling female rapper in history.

All of the raunchiness and overt sexual themes is what keeps them from entering into other markets and demographics. 

• Like 1

They definitely could but no one wants to take a risk 

• Like 1

yes, MIA had mainstream success not too long ago. if the music is good and you have original sound, people will gravitate to it.

• Like 4

Dr. Alexander
4 minutes ago, Dr. Alexander said:

I think about this quite frequently. I think if a female rapper dressed and presented herself conservatively but her artistic vision and bars were fantastic, I think she probably would end up as the biggest selling female rapper in history.

All of the raunchiness and overt sexual themes is what keeps them from entering into other markets and demographics. 

I want to add to this by saying I think this is why Invasion of Privacy was so big too. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Yes 

Edited by differentkindahigh

15 minutes ago, Dr. Alexander said:

I want to add to this by saying I think this is why Invasion of Privacy was so big too. 

“Spread your ass cheeks, Make that p***y crack a smile” is conservative rap?

:clack:

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Mornings said:

It’s extremely hard to without selling sex for any genre. Look at Taylor Swift’s “****!” Or the erection painting from Omar Apollo. It’s not just female rap. I prefer the raunchy stuff to the hint hint nudge nudge wink wink sex talk though. 

i want to edit this to remind everyone of the genius that is Lauryn Hill. She’s a perfect example of how brilliant you have to be to make an impact without selling sex. Tierra Whack comes to mind, Noname, Rhapsody, Bahamadia for a throw back. But you have to truly be a genius to make an impact these days without the shock factor in there 

Not **** as an example of a Song that sells sex :rip:

Edited by vale9001
  • Haha 2

What is with you and making misogynistic threads?

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 2

Raye kind of did lately but you might argue it's pop/R&B.

I sure hope so but with TikTok culture I don't have that much optimism in me

19 minutes ago, réveuse said:

What is with you and making misogynistic threads?

where's the misogyny? the topic was can a female rapper succeed in today's music landscape without selling sex?

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

5 minutes ago, tili33 said:

where's the misogyny? the topic was can a female rapper succeed in today's music landscape without selling sex?

You're questioning whether a woman can succeed with her talent alone or needs to use sex to be successful so yes, it's a misogynistic thread. I guess when you're a woman a bell rings when you read these things, but men can't hear it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, ariananext said:

You're questioning whether a woman can succeed with her talent alone or needs to use sex to be successful so yes, it's a misogynistic thread. I guess when you're a woman a bell rings when you read these things, but men can't hear it. 

is this question misandristic?

can a male succeed in today's music landscape without selling sex?

• Thumbs Down 1

Dr. Alexander
35 minutes ago, barbiegrande said:

“Spread your ass cheeks, Make that p***y crack a smile” is conservative rap?

:clack:

Didn’t Nicki Minaj tell her fans to stay in school? I see you fell through the cracks.

If you read my post, if you have the ability to, it clearly states: dressed and presented. I am clearly talking about the presentation. 

The Invasion of Privacy era dipped into old-school glamour from a presentation standpoint. Despite some of her lyrics being sexual in nature, her presentation said otherwise for the most part which attracted more people to her from an wider array of markets and demographics. The same reason as to why Adele wouldn’t have the mass appeal she has now if she was as sexually provocative as an artist who frequently shows their clappas and titties.

3 minutes ago, tili33 said:

is this question misandristic?

can a male succeed in today's music landscape without selling sex?

And that's how you know it's time to stop replying

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dr. Alexander said:

Didn’t Nicki Minaj tell her fans to stay in school? I see you fell through the cracks.

If you read my post, if you have the ability to, it clearly states: dressed and presented. I am clearly talking about the presentation. 

The Invasion of Privacy era dipped into old-school glamour from a presentation standpoint. Despite some of her lyrics being sexual in nature, her presentation said otherwise for the most part which attracted more people to her from an wider array of markets and demographics. The same reason as to why Adele wouldn’t have the mass appeal she has now if she was as sexually provocative as an artist who frequently shows their clappas and titties.

Girl, you’re delusional. Cardi B is an ex stripper, sex has always been a huge part of her brand and she embraces that 

• Thumbs Down 1

Dr. Alexander
Just now, barbiegrande said:

Girl, you’re delusional. Cardi B is an ex stripper, sex has always been a huge part of her brand and she embraces that 

I completely forgot it isn’t possible to have a business-based discussion with a fool.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.