Top Posters In This Topic

• Cain

• KatyPrismSpirit

• katara

• unclefloprry

1 minute ago, Jooj said:

Dua serving mid 2010s MPG numbers on Youtube :clap3:

Are there any reviews of this song yet?

I've only seen Pitchfork so far. Positive! 

Troye Sivan is the great example you can make interesting videos even on budget "Rush" and "Got Me Started" are great.

Also Kylie's "Tension" was not big budget video and is super interesting.

Problem with "Houdini" is that its the same, one scene, one outfit, one hair and makeup ... not much progression. Only the speed cut and streetlight helps to give it some life at the end.

I truly believe they didnt plan "Houdini" as first single and they change the release strategy after EMAs was cancelled and "Training Season" was suppose to be the first single with big budget video and big production performance planned, which was now moved to probably February to Grammy or something else.

Edited by mike_int
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jooj said:

Dua serving mid 2010s MPG numbers on Youtube :clap3:

Are there any reviews of this song yet?

UK Apple Music

#24 Houdini (+62) 

spacer.png

Edited by abelfenty

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, mike_int said:

Troye Sivan is the great example you can make interesting videos even on budget "Rush" and "Got Me Started" are great.

Problem with "Houdini" is that its the same, one scene, one outfit, out hair and makeup ... not much progression. Only the speed cut and streetlight helps to give it some life at the end.

I truly believe they didnt plan "Houdini" as first single and they change the release strategy after EMAs was cancelled and "Training Season" was suppose to be the first single with big budget video and big production performance planned, which was now moved to probably February to Grammy or something else.

The Houdini video is better than any Troye video I’m sorry

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Okay the music video is mid it’s still a great song stop focusing on a factor that doesn’t even matter. MV is promo for the song. The song is excellent. And the MV is doing its job anyways look at the views 

• Like 1

Didn’t Taylor do 65M views on YouTube in 24 hours with ME? And Dynamite broke the record with 100+ million?

Edited by bjorn
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, mike_int said:

Problem with "Houdini" is that its the same, one scene, one outfit, out hair and makeup ... not much progression. Only the speed cut and streetlight helps to give it some life at the end.

I actually find the video interesting, at first I thought 'well, she's gonna be dancing alone all the video with her reflection changing' and then it kept building into suddenly adding more dancers or intensity to the video. By this point when music videos are dead and people don't watch them so frequently, it's fine :giraffe:

Also, DSN was always supposed to be the lead and it still got a 'just decent' music video while Physical got all the budget

Edited by BrokenMachine

Just now, khalyan said:

The Houdini video is better than any Troye video I’m sorry

"Rush" is probably the best video of 2023 for me, the amount of detail, choreography and overall pacing and cinematography  is amazing there and Im not even listening his music. Same with "Got me started" ... look at those two videos and u will see the difference in quality, despite the fact Dua us making tons of money compare to  him

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, abelfenty said:

UK Apple Music

#24 Houdini (+62) 

spacer.png

oh now we're talking 

image0.gif?ex=65608063&is=654e0b63&hm=c8

1 minute ago, mike_int said:

"Rush" is probably the best video of 2023 for me, the amount of detail, choreography and overall pacing and cinematography  is amazing there and Im not even listening his music. Same with "Got me started" ... look at those two videos and u will see the difference in quality, despite the fact Dua us making tons of money compare to  him

Totally agree with this, Houdini is not quite there. But I think the cinematography towards the end saved it and its fine

5 minutes ago, abelfenty said:

UK Apple Music

#24 Houdini (+62) 

spacer.png

OMG...

The MV perfectly aligns with the simplistic aesthetic we’ve gotten so far from the teaser pics. It contrasts a lot with Hugo Comte’s dramatic and super-saturated style from FN. I personally like the change in direction! 

• Like 4

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, mike_int said:

I never saw it for either Troye video, they were lacking in final touches that could have really elevated them to a great place. 

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, BlackoutZone said:

Totally agree with this, Houdini is not quite there. But I think the cinematography towards the end saved it and its fine

I think the video would work great as 30 second TV commercial, for like sport clothes or whatever ... as 3 minutes video and more importantly  as 3 minutes LEAD SINGLE VIDEO FROM ONE OF THE BIGGEST POP STARS ON A PLANET .... its not enough for me, even I will preorder whatever she will bring to us with DL3

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, khalyan said:

I never saw it for either Troye video, they were lacking in final touches that could have really elevated them to a great place. 

And you see THAT in Houdini? Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

• Haha 1

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, mike_int said:

And you see THAT in Houdini? Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

Yes, small touches throughout like the choreography differences in the mirror reflection really elevates this video for me. 

13 minutes ago, BrokenMachine said:

Also, DSN was always supposed to be the lead and it still got a 'just decent' music video while Physical got all the budget

"Physical" was very much sponsored by Pepe Jeans London brand since Dua had a collection of colorful jeans with them and it was practically a promo.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7_FPtpKiEO/?hl=en&img_index=6

Edited by mike_int
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.