Bad Bunny Accused of Tax Evasion!

Iceland

10 hours ago, More Than A Melody said:

Not comparable. You go to PFW as a guest for the brands. The brands do pay taxes. Bad Bunny entered Peru with his own business to make money for himself. It's like an international artist getting a tourist Visa in America. They don't.

Also PFW pays a couple of thousand dollars tops per celeb. His concert in Peru made over 8 million dollars (tickets only, who knows how much he made off merch). That's 100% taxable money for the country, are you kidding?

I'm referring to Benito's personal taxable income, NOT the taxable earnings his business makes from each performance (which he is an employee of).

Benito's business would be the one reporting any earnings from within Peru to its government, but anyone employed by the company would not be taxed by Peru unless they're residing and working within the country for over a set amount of time (most countries set this limit anywhere from 30-60 days).  So I don't know if they're actually suing Benito, or suing his company. 

What the article doesn't make clear is if his company did not pay taxes, which if that's the case, then it's in the wrong.  If his company is correctly set up (and we should assume it is), Benito's personal income would not need to be taxed in Peru (and would likely be a small number, maybe even $0 income) because he himself is not a resident and was only in the country for a claimed 5 days. 

Furthermore, the Peruvian government did not mention they know how much Benito was personally paid (or if he was personally paid) by his company for each performance, which would be required if they are trying to tax his income.  Also, artists' companies are not the ones who rent venues, that is usually done by an even larger company like LiveNation.  When you take that into account, not only is Benito not personally liable, but his company probably isn't even renting, which puts artists in similar positions to what would happen at PFW. 

For example, Kim Kardashian gets flown to see shows by homophobic duo D&G, but her companies are the ones that are paid, arrange travel, book rooms, etc.  Anything earned from that is not directly tied to Kim and is not reported as her income, and this is how it is for most celebrities.  Whatever she is personally paid at the end of the day by her companies is done so in her home country and taxed by the US government, but her companies likely pay some type of tax in Italy and/or France when completing business transactions/deals.  Once again, this article is really vague about everything, so we can only stipulate, and I could be wrong as I don't know anythign about Peru's tax codes.

Edited by Archetype

2 hours ago, Archetype said:

I'm referring to Benito's personal taxable income, NOT the taxable earnings his business makes from each performance (which he is an employee of).

Benito's business would be the one reporting any earnings from within Peru to its government, but anyone employed by the company would not be taxed by Peru unless they're residing and working within the country for over a set amount of time (most countries set this limit anywhere from 30-60 days).  So I don't know if they're actually suing Benito, or suing his company. 

What the article doesn't make clear is if his company did not pay taxes, which if that's the case, then it's in the wrong.  If his company is correctly set up (and we should assume it is), Benito's personal income would not need to be taxed in Peru (and would likely be a small number, maybe even $0 income) because he himself is not a resident and was only in the country for a claimed 5 days. 

Furthermore, the Peruvian government did not mention they know how much Benito was personally paid (or if he was personally paid) by his company for each performance, which would be required if they are trying to tax his income.  Also, artists' companies are not the ones who rent venues, that is usually done by an even larger company like LiveNation.  When you take that into account, not only is Benito not personally liable, but his company probably isn't even renting, which puts artists in similar positions to what would happen at PFW. 

For example, Kim Kardashian gets flown to see shows by homophobic duo D&G, but her companies are the ones that are paid, arrange travel, book rooms, etc.  Anything earned from that is not directly tied to Kim and is not reported as her income, and this is how it is for most celebrities.  Whatever she is personally paid at the end of the day by her companies is done so in her home country and taxed by the US government, but her companies likely pay some type of tax in Italy and/or France when completing business transactions/deals.  Once again, this article is really vague about everything, so we can only stipulate, and I could be wrong as I don't know anythign about Peru's tax codes.

Peru isn't suing every artist that goes to perform there. They're suing Benito. They know their tax laws, which you admittedly do not. The gross revenue from his concert is his personal income if he's the head of his company.

7 hours ago, ket said:

His income is taxable to the country he's resident in which is not peru, peru cannot get income tax from him because he is resident in Puerto Rico , he cannot be charged twice by different countries.

Peru didn't say once that it was "income tax."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.