Did J. Lo deserve an Oscar nomination for Hustlers?

Stepfon

jennifer-lopez-seen-filming-on-location-

-A Golden Globe nomination

-A Critics Choice Awards nomination

-A Screen Actors Guild Awards nomination 

-A Film Independent Spirit Awards nomination

-Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards win

giphy.gif

Did J. Lo deserve an Oscar nomination for one of her most critically acclaimed roles to date? 

no she couldnt even cry when it was needed.... she did ok but she was not even the best actress in this

No I don’t think she did. Looking back, the film was entertaining but very overhyped. It didn’t even deserve to get a golden globe nomination imo :deadbanana4:

Yes,  that snub still hurts to this day. Along with the fact that the worst performance won in Supporting actress that year anyway. 

• Like 3

It is funny looking back at how her fans jumped the gun on the "locked" nomination/win. She even missed the BAFTA precursor. 

She did win a Razzie Redeemer award though so it wasn't a total loss.

tNuh6Ik.gif

She deserved a Razzie nod (and win) if we're keeping it real.

honestly nah, but I think she will have other chances and she will land it. 

• ATRL Moderator

No. When you look at the list of nominees for that year, there was no one who gave a worse performance than she did.

7 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

It is funny looking back at how her fans jumped the gun on the "locked" nomination/win. She even missed the BAFTA precursor. 

She did win a Razzie Redeemer award though so it wasn't a total loss.

tNuh6Ik.gif

She didn't even win that.

tNuh6Ik.gif

Eddie Murphy did. 

Just now, Stepfon said:

She didn't even win that.

tNuh6Ik.gif

Eddie Murphy did. 

Help?

tNuh6Ik.gif

she truly deserved a nom for this film... Oh well, doesn't matter though, she's still making her money x

I love her but no. All the campaign was based by latina star latina star latina star and how She deserved it for Selena so It was a kinda of compensation award. But even that was a reach. She Is good in that role but It's not like this iconic role make people think after decades "how She wasn't nominate?". 

So It wasn't all too much. 

Edited by vale9001

Everyone here saying no when yall gave LAURA DERN THE DAMN WIN??? Laura shouldnt have even been nominated 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, X~MoviePoP said:

Everyone here saying no when yall gave LAURA DERN THE DAMN WIN??? Laura shouldnt have even been nominated 

2 wrongs don’t make a right.

The fact at the end she won the 'Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award' is still impressive and very prestigious but I doubt majority of people in here are aware of the importance of that award.

However Oscars nominations are a combinations of more factors, including reputation, she might even deserved but first the movie is not the kind of movie that usually get recognized by the Academy, she built for years a reputation of not being a good-serious actress with the tones of Razzie nominations and panned movies, last but not least the role was lowkey in line with her popstar persona, not enough transformative, J.Lo being good at playing a sexy and sassy lap dancer was a given and not enough to impress the Academy.

The snub was in the air especially after the moment she missed the BAFTA nomination, however mock her snub is not the flex some people in here think it is, at least she managed for once to be in the conversation and getting also a SAG nomination, not everybody has that to their credit.

• Like 5

I think she did deserve a nomination. For the Oscars, however, it had a lot stacked against it considering it was a partial comedy about strippers. The Academy seems too uppity to give a film like that a solid nod. But it is one of her films where I felt she really became the character. I actually was surprised Scarlett got a nomination in that category for Jojo Rabbit. She was good in that, but it wasn't even close to her performances in films she wasn't even nominated for like Lost in Translation, Girl with the Pearl Earring, and Under the Skin. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Leptine said:

The fact at the end she won the 'Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award' is still impressive and very prestigious but I doubt majority of people in here are aware of the importance of that award.

However Oscars nominations are a combinations of more factors, including reputation, she might even deserved but first the movie is not the kind of movie that usually get recognized by the Academy, she built for years a reputation of not being a good-serious actress with the tones of Razzie nominations and panned movies, last but not least the role was lowkey in line with her popstar persona, not enough transformative, J.Lo being good at playing a sexy and sassy lap dancer was a given and not enough to impress the Academy.

The snub was in the air especially after the moment she missed the BAFTA nomination, however mock her snub is not the flex some people in here think it is, at least she managed for once to be in the conversation and getting also a SAG nomination, not everybody has that to their credit.

Mariah has two SAG noms in ensemble as a cameo actress

ChYRmXL.gif

We all know that LAFCA is part of the trifecta, but at the end of the day her performance was mostly hype without the substance and the film was not strong enough to give her the extra goodwill she needed.  

PS: We only laugh about the snub because her fans were wildly brazen on atrl and Twitter during that awards season. The amount of "she's locked," "ahh my Oscar-nominated fave," "what will you be saying when she wins an Oscar" clapbacks that came back to bite. :deadbanana:

Edited by suburbannature

9 minutes ago, X~MoviePoP said:

I agree, one of the worst and weakest Oscar wins of the last years, especially for a not memorable performance that was basically identical to the BLL one for which she won the Emmy already, it was basically a career award, ironically she won for the exactly the same reasons for which Lopez was snubbed.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.