The death of physical media

Monday Night Messiah

Samsung stops producing Blu-ray players: Death of the Disk? - No More Blu-Ray Players from Samsung | CineD

Disney stops making Blu-ray and DVDs available in Australia: Disney Reportedly Discontinues Blu-ray and DVD Releases in Australia (movieweb.com)

Netflix sends its final DVDs to customers on September 29: Netflix DVD - The Final Season - About Netflix

And now...

Best Buy will phase out DVD, Blu-ray and music CDs by March 2024: Best Buy is axing physical DVD and Blu-ray business in this depressing digital world - The Verge

Walmart is no longer selling Xbox titles (and probably more platforms) in 2024: Walmart Reportedly Discontinuing Physical Games in 2024 (comicbook.com)

Target has stopped selling DVDs, Blu-rays and CDs in some locations: Some Target Stores Reportedly No Longer Selling DVDs, Blu-rays, and CDs (comicbook.com)

On the other hand..

Barnes & Noble pledged to continue supporting these formats at least until 2024: 

I don't remember the last time I bought physical media. I download games and stream music and movies. I don't see the point of physical media. I'm also a minimalist so that's another plus point for digital media.

Well, those who still have it might make a nice buck on eBay in a few years. 

11 minutes ago, byzantium said:

Meanwhile Vinyl is taking off.  Times change.  It’s normal. 

This is what I’m thinking as well. Isn’t Vinyls slaying right now why don’t theses places take advantage of that! 

Make a vinyl section more appealing & accessible. 

Because Target & Walmart areas are tragic 

Edited by Power love

I still buy physical media but I'm VERY selective with what I purchase now. Movies especially. Books I definitely still buy. I have had 2 kindles in the past and for some reason I just can't get into it. Games are mixed between digital and physical. I usually only buy physical for the AAA titles.

Dont bring this **** into video games.

Its an experience, buying a physical game with cool artwork and something tangible just is apart of the gaming experience to me.

• Like 5

Sad tbh

but PlayStations have replaced dvd and Blu-ray players at this point :dies:

10 minutes ago, Power love said:

This is what I’m thinking as well. Isn’t Vinyls slaying right now why don’t theses places take advantage of that! 

Make a vinyl section more appealing & accessible. 

Because Target & Walmart areas are tragic 

I think Vinyl is not common or big enough for the major stores to care yet. There used to be over a billion album sales per year in the early 2000s and now vinyl sells about 50 million a year. 

That's ok, people buy most physical media online anyway. I don't see CD/Vinyls/DVDs being phased out completely anytime soon. x

• Like 1

This is really disheartening and worrying. :dancehall3:

As I mentioned in a previous thread, especially when it comes to movies, blu ray and 4k files are huge files when taken from a disc - digital downloads are probably compressed down to a fraction of the size, which means you lose a lot of the quality. For me, having the disc enhances the whole experience, because you are getting the best quality.

I've always preferred physical music. CDs are my preferred format because they double as storage - I don't have to keep a copy on my hard drive if I keep the disc in good condition. I can rip the files, put them on my phone, and delete them off my harddrive if I choose.

What's the end game here? Because depending on streaming for everything would be a s*** situation. I don't want media companies deciding for me what I can watch and when. Physical media guarantees you can listen to your favorite music and watch your favorite movies on your own time, whenever you want, without having to worry about your content getting shelved, or in a lot of cases for music, removed completely and made unavailable.

Also, I'm gen-z. Maybe I'm really old fashioned, but I don't care. I hope there will always be a physical media market, because a future without it, for me and probably many others, especially collectors, would be miserable.

• Like 5

Collecting movies is a niche pursuit atp but the space is thriving. Though there are far fewer options to buy in-store, there are more boutique Blu-ray labels than ever, more than major studio labels, and the variety of films that make it to disc nowadays is much wider than 15 years ago. Stores are dying and major studios are cutting corners, but Blu-rays aren’t going anywhere. 

Also if you want to actually own something, especially movies, books, and music, buy it physically.

1 hour ago, Hollister_ said:

Dont bring this **** into video games.

Its an experience, buying a physical game with cool artwork and something tangible just is apart of the gaming experience to me.

Videos games aren’t even doing much any more. Now the game is just a download from the internet. It barely has all the paper work they used to have. Also PC games are usually just a link to an online store. 

Physical media for video games is dead also. I won’t be surprised if the next gen consoles in a few years will be digital only. 

Lemme repost this from the other thread for the folks who don't see the point of physical media:

Spoiler

We NEED physical media.

Here's a good example why. This track:

Can't be streamed. If the Youtube uploads go down, it's over. The movie has a different version of this track. This version of the song will literally be lost in history if Youtube takes it down. You have to find a physical CD of this movie's soundtrack, which was released 21 years ago, in order to preserve it for yourself. 

But this CD hasn't been in production since 2002 (why may I say is a GORGEOUS design. I cherish my copy of it very deeply.), so if you want to legally own a lossless quality version of this track, you have to get the CD. Who knows how many are there up for sale across the world.

This version of the track is literally about to become extinct because physical media is not respected, and digital media is a mess. 

And then we have countless video games, especially from the PS2 era which are in the same boatm. The 2004 version of GTA San Andreas is a very, very sad example. 

TLDR: Digital media is highly abusable and lack of commitment to physical media leads to forgotten media. 

• Like 2

Video games can be delisted, movies and TV shows can be only kept on streaming (and thus removed at any time), music can be removed from Spotify, and then what?

They can flat out not let you buy media anymore. Only a license to rent it. And then what? What happens when they don't want us to access content anymore?

I think Labels and artists should make every Song they ever released available on streaming Services. Some exclusive Songs are lost forever If No one Had them.

They'll add a hologram projector on it or a teleportation feature where you insert your finger on the hole and make you invisible. Then i'll make a comeback.

Sad its happening but I'll never stop buying physical media :angry:

Streaming is unreliable, so much music/media not avaliable and locked away because of region locking and label rights or disputes, so I'd rather own it myself and make my own digital files, plus they're lossless so I never have to worry about quality :coffee2:

Older stuff is still available physically just not as easy to find but as for newer stuff; as long as it's for sale digitally in lossless, it's fine. I'll just make my own physicals that never existed/backups like I've done since forever :ducky:

• Like 1

Unless you're a collector there's no point in buying physical media nowadays tbh (and I say this as someone who has tons of CDs and LPs). 

I think the last time I bought a DVD was 5 years ago.

2 hours ago, Tropez said:

Videos games aren’t even doing much any more. Now the game is just a download from the internet. It barely has all the paper work they used to have. Also PC games are usually just a link to an online store. 

Physical media for video games is dead also. I won’t be surprised if the next gen consoles in a few years will be digital only. 

Final Fantasy 16 did really cool bonuses for physical deluxe editions :crown:

And it's the fastest selling PS5 game ever so major triple A titles definitely can still pull it off. 

And the physical CD soundtrack collection is gorgeous.

1 hour ago, Hey Dude said:

Final Fantasy 16 did really cool bonuses for physical deluxe editions :crown:

And it's the fastest selling PS5 game ever so major triple A titles definitely can still pull it off. 

And the physical CD soundtrack collection is gorgeous.

But that’s for console. And no it won’t make a difference. It will only matter is say GTA did that, or some other franchise that has greater influence. As of right now, physical game media is dying. And it’s only held by the console market. The PC market is much larger. 

Like right now, Microsoft is pushing GamePass. Sony is following with it PlayStation Plus. The market right now is subscription gaming. 

I don't like this at all :biblio: I started my Blu-ray collection in 2017, and it's one of the few things I look forward to expand upon every Holiday season. Stop changing ****.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.