YouTube forcing users to disable adblockers or buy Premium

kawk

I understand they need to make money with ads, but:

In order to watch a 2 seconds long video i had to watch a 20 second ad in full, than another one i could click away after 5 seconds. 

Another example: Two 20 second long ads i can not get rid off. Than i skip to an interesting part of a video. Without even watching a single second of content, i am forced to watch again two ads that last for 20 seconds.

This seems a bit too much.

• Like 4

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tropez

• Sombre

• #Beautiful

• BrokenMachine

• ATRL Moderator
20 minutes ago, Archetype said:

The problem is how intrusive, jarring, and frequent these ads are that make YouTube borderline unusable at times.  I pay for Premium because I hate ads, but my partner refuses to do so and he will sometimes just give up on trying to watch a video because of how many ads he is regularly served.  It is beyond ridiculous, that should NEVER be the case for a product owned by a company as large and profitable as Google/Alphabet.

YouTube content creators get 55% of the revenue. YouTube is one of the few online platforms where content creators can make a decent and consistent living. Ads suck, it’s why I pay for YouTube Premium, but that’s literally how the platform stays online and pays the content creators.

Also, it’s not surprising a company where the vast majority of their revenue comes from ads would serve ads. That’s their entire business model. Using Alphabet’s profitability as a point against them running ads when that’s literally where the bulk of their revenue comes from is silly.

It’s perfectly fine to have issue with the amount of ads they run, though. But I don’t get the anger associated with them wanting to crack down on ad blocking. It just makes sense.

GET YOUTUBE PREMIUM FROM ARGENTINA WITH A VPN, i pay less than 2 american dollars a month for a FAMILY PLAN. i could never go back to regular youtube

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

I refuse to switch to tik tok so I’ll do what you say daddy youtube 

Just now, Bloo said:

YouTube content creators get 55% of the revenue. YouTube is one of the few online platforms where content creators can make a decent and consistent living. Ads suck, it’s why I pay for YouTube Premium, but that’s literally how the platform stays online and pays the content creators.

Also, it’s not surprising a company where the vast majority of their revenue comes from ads would serve ads. That’s their entire business model. Using Alphabet’s profitability as a point against them running ads when that’s literally where the bulk of their revenue comes from is silly.

My point is, the frequency of ads on YouTube has hit a turning point and should now be considered user-hostile rather than user-friendly.  Creators are getting less views partially due to the increase in advertising hostility.  It is no secret YT has taken a hit due to TikTok, Twitch, IG Reels, etc.  However, squeezing more ad dollars out of your existing and lingering audience by shoving back to back ads in every video and littering your interface with banners, instead of innovating and creating new and exciting ways of interaction on their platform, is a sure fire way to push more people away.  

Alphabet's insane profitability is important to note here because we are *not* seeing more ads in other Google products.  Gsuite, Gmail, Maps, Search, and their paid subscription products are all doing insanely well.  If Search or Gmail suddenly experience a drop in users, do you think Google is going to insert more ads to make up for the lost revenue?  No, they're going to find ways to make those products more attractive and beneficial to their users.  On the contrary, YouTube gets more ads but has barely changed for viewers over the past two decades.  That's the problem they refuse to address, and so we get more ads to make up for it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kawk said:

The only solution? Well, YouTube recommends paying $11.99/month for Premium to get ad-free viewing, and offline and background playback. But, is it worth it? NO.

Straight up lies. YT Premium is so worth it. If I had to choose between that and any other streaming service (bar Netflix) I wouldn’t even have to think about it. You get ad-free YT, offline downloads, YT Music which is surprisingly good, early access to new features etc. 

The whole outrage is ridiculous because you’re literally stealing from regular people who create the very videos you enjoy so much, not some big corporation (which I think you should always steal from provided you can get away with it). 

Edited by Navy4Life

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

Premium or watching ads is literally how content providers pay rent. The aversion to it is so strange. :rip: 

YouTube is good because so many people spend so much time making content for the platform for a living.

I didn't mind it, but some creators put 6 different ads in a 10 minute video. No thanks. 

I’m blessed to be under my brothers YouTube premium :suburban:

56 minutes ago, #Beautiful said:

GET YOUTUBE PREMIUM FROM ARGENTINA WITH A VPN, i pay less than 2 american dollars a month for a FAMILY PLAN. i could never go back to regular youtube

Yeah, not for long

17 minutes ago, Sombre said:

Yeah, not for long

google one and youtube premium are not the same service. i have both but theyre not the same

• Thumbs Down 1

9 minutes ago, #Beautiful said:

google one and youtube premium are not the same service. i have both but theyre not the same

I know that, it still applies to all the services Google offers because they basically had to update their terms & conditions to accompany this change. Just a warning to you because Google is known to completely nuke accounts with no way to retrieve your data.

3 hours ago, Sheep said:

Honestly I bought youtube premium this year and I've been super happy with it. I understand people have a lot of subscription fatigue but with how much of my media consumption is YouTube the value makes a lot of sense. The non-ad features(downloading videos to watch on flights, being able to keep videos playing in the background on mobile) are nice too.

This, I’d 100% pay for premium YouTube over any steaming service if I had to only pick one.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sombre said:

I know that, it still applies to all the services Google offers because they basically had to update their terms & conditions to accompany this change. Just a warning to you because Google is known to completely nuke accounts with no way to retrieve your data.

my google one storage plan is bougt in my own currency for full normal price, i wouldnt risk it when it comes to my storage and photos its just not worth it. youtube is replaceable more or less, hopefully they leave me alone. ive been doing this for years

• Thumbs Down 1

Their shitty ads are too much :rip:

it sometimes asks me to watch 3 ads, Just so I can watch the video I wanted!

I do not use an Adblock on my phone (only because Vince got taken down and I am lazy to find another alternative)

and I can just switch to another video and back to my own - several times until the vid starts playing without an ad :keir:

I would feel bad, but this company literally shuns LGBTQ+ creators, so whatever..

I understand why they are doing this ..

But I can still imagine them earning a lot of money despite people using adblock .. 

You just gotta be one step ahead of YouTube

It's just a case of whack-a-mole

:suburban:

4 hours ago, Sombre said:

As someone who knows how expensive hosting the amount of data YouTube does, this is not surprising to me. YouTube isn't just gonna sit pretty and let you watch videos for free while 1) they literally lose money and 2) the creator's AdSense money also decreases.

Pay for Premium or watch the ads. :michael: I just don't get the backlash, you think YT creators haven't been pushing YT to do this? It's selfish watching a creator's video but refusing to give them their due. 

There's also an issue with censorship causing demonization, its algorithm (both the search algorithm and the recommendations), and the amount of money youtube gets vs the maker :redface:

This is coming from a premium user btw. I have lots of issues w/ youtube's business model, and it's no surprise a lot of youtubers with truly interesting have had to resort to external deals or even patreon :michael: (I'm talking nightmare creepypasta channels, abuse victim sharers, I mean even gaming channels)

YouTube has become a COMPANY rather than an unbiased free for all platform, and that's what's bothering a lot of people

YT Premium is the best decision I've made in my life tbh :giraffe:

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

No matter what device you use, phone, computer,  tv,  whatever, there's always a way to block ads babes

I’m so glad I get premium for free as part of my phone contract. I couldn’t imagine going back to having adverts now. 

• Like 1

just pay the damn subscription it’s literally LESS than 2 starbucks a month 

10 hours ago, Rebel Lion said:

More reason to move to TikTok

:clack:

yes cause people famously use youtube to watch 30 second videos from random influencers :deadbanana:

OT : youtube can suck a fat dick, i’m not paying for something that has been free for over a decade and im not watching a million useless ads a day either 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.