Imposter Syndrome; how do you deal with it girlies?

mercurialworld

My imposter syndrome is insane lately so don't mind me projecting for a bit :ryan:

Imposter Syndrome is an internal sense of inadequacy that leaves a person feeling like they are a fraud, despite external evidence that they are competent and successful. It's a phenomenon that many people deal with at some point in their lives, either in the workplace or in their personal lives. It can be particularly difficult to manage as it can arise due to negative self-talk or being introduced to a new task or environment where your skills are not completely developed. Have you ever experienced imposter syndrome?

What strategies did you use to deal with it? Do you think imposter syndrome is something that only affects a certain type of person, or is it something that everyone can experience under the right circumstances?

I definitely struggle with it at work as I'm only two years into being a teacher and I'm surrounded by people who have been doing it for 5-20 years. Sometimes I just try to remind myself that my negative thoughts are literally just that - thoughts. And I try to think of all the praise I've been given and remind myself that people wouldn't be saying positive things if they didn't mean it. 

Edited by Lachlan
  • Like 1

I feel as though I have the opposite of imposter syndrome, like I deserve better than whatever life is throwing at me rn :rip:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Honestly I just accept it. Whether or not it's true you're at the bottom of 1%, the bottom 1% of doctors, lawyers, dentists etc. are still doctors, dentists and lawyers.

We also tend to be our own worst critics, you don't need to be the best at something and just do your best

• Like 1

I struggle with this. One thing that’s helped me has been trying to reflect on people I work with and figure out who I actually respect and admire. I realized there was really only one person, maybe two people, I felt this way about at my job. And as much as I respect them, and as smart and competent as they are, I also know they are also human and they’ve made mistakes and they have their own gaps. But they are still who I respect and admire above everyone else.

Honestly in some ways imposter syndrome is good because it makes you want to be better. But there are healthy ways to approach growth and unhealthy ways to approach it.

Finding people you admire and want to emulate is healthy and can help you grow. But comparing yourself to others and trying to be more like them because you think they are better than you will end up being unfulfilling and toxic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, naval23 said:

Honestly I just accept it. Whether or not it's true you're at the bottom of 1%, the bottom 1% of doctors, lawyers, dentists etc. are still doctors, dentists and lawyers.

We also tend to be our own worst critics, you don't need to be the best at something and just do your best

Words to live by

• Like 1

This seems like something big corporations made up to make you work harder :deadbanana:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

i had this in my current marketing role REALLY BAD at the start 

all i can say is that it does eventually go away, mine took about a YEAR to eventually disappear but time is honestly the only answer

you will improve in your role as you go along and only you are able to decide that ur worthy/successful in it . for me that time came when i designed like 20 different ad designs and i sat back and thought ‘these literally look like multi million dollar ads … I really am THAT *****!’

something similar will happen for u too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you tried picking up a hobby? Something creative to get you out of that headspace. Making something out of nothing will remind you you're more than capable of doing what you set your mind to. :hughard:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frappucino said:

Have you tried picking up a hobby? Something creative to get you out of that headspace. Making something out of nothing will remind you you're more than capable of doing what you set your mind to. :hughard:

Yeah, I'm starting gym more and Badminton on the side 🏸 I'm still studying atm in uni as well.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.