Alanis Morissette - Thank U | Turns 25

naval23

220px-Alanis_Morissette_-_Thank_U.png

After the smash era of "Jagged Little Pill", the GP wanted more.

Alanis would go on to release this as the lead single of her long awaited follow-up era "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie"

She recorded the song after an inspirational trip to India 

It reached #1 in Canada, #3 in New Zealand and became her biggest peaking single in the UK peaking at #5, while peaking at #17 in the USA (reaching #2 on radio).

The music video features Alanis nude through the streets

"Basically, I had never stopped in my whole life, hadn't taken a long breath, and I took a year and a half off and basically learned how to do that. When I did stop and I was silent and I breathed... I was just left with an immense amount of gratitude, and inspiration, and love, and bliss, and that's where the song came from, you know."

• Like 6

The anticipation was real. This song (especially the live version) makes me cry at the end. Theose guttural screams at the end :cries:

Edited by Infatuation_Junkie
  • Like 2

I love this song! It's in there with You Gotta Ba by Desiree as self-assurance anthems for me :smitten:

Also, shout out to my old avi that used to be from this video. What an iconic video!

• Like 1

Amazing single choice! Alanis should've followed up with "That I Would Be Good" as second single but I think she thought it was too lyrically familiar with Thank U, but that song would've been another powerful empowerment hit

4 hours ago, Infatuation_Junkie said:

The anticipation was real. This song (especially the live version) makes me cry at the end. Theose guttural screams at the end :cries:

That outro is a MOMENT, always giving me chills :jonny:

Outstanding song :clap3:

• Like 1

I need to revisit this album, I haven't listened to it in ages. I remember really enjoying it.

I love this album so much. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.