Does "Run The World (Girls)" Prove Performance/Promo > Charts for Longevity?

BOOMBAYAH

The way it peaked at #29 but she didn't give up on it and preformed/promoted it everywhere, and now it's a staple...should the new girls take note and not give up on a song because it underperforms on the charts?

• Like 2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Odette Violet

• Mystic Boy

• Wasp

• BOOMBAYAH

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. The anthem of 2010's when others were doing electro pop bangers, the queen was making a statement with this song. Billboard wasn't ready for this slay :clap3:

Now it's in her Top 3 signature songs worldwide and is celebrated up until this day :clap3:

Edited by Odette Violet
  • Like 2

The message was stronger than the song itself :cm:

The song deserved at least 2 weeks at number 1 tho

• Like 2

I feel like she marketed the **** out of it cause the message of it is great :dies:

It worked well, and even though I personally don't like the song it does feel like one of her classics.

Once again she knew the message would outlive the charts, this is a classic in her discog, gonna be around forever.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I remember a thread asking which out of RTW, BTW and HIAM was the most remembered and RTW (#29) had more votes than BTW and HIAM (both #1) :rip:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

9 minutes ago, Odette Violet said:

Yes. The anthem of 2010's when others were doing electro pop bangers, the queen was making a statement with this song. Billboard wasn't ready for this slay :clap3:

Now it's in her Top 3 signature songs worldwide and is celebrated up until this day :clap3:

The way I remember being GAGGED at this performance :deadbanana2: I really thought it was a #1 hit 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

The way I remember being GAGGED at this performance :deadbanana2: I really thought it was a #1 hit 

Same, it really felt bigger that time and this was when I discovered her. I also like the performance she did with Oprah's, this was Bey's peak performance era imo.

Literally plays this now and everyone would know the song, that this is Beyonce's.  The cultural impact that has, see when you do arts and not for charts :clap3:

Edited by Odette Violet
  • Like 1

Beyonce's been doing this. She did it for B'Day as well. She performed so many songs from that album everywhere. 

Certainly. Queen basically re-wrote the book on this in the 4 era. One thing Beyoncé is always gonna do is try to release anthems and songs with potential classic status in her discography, regardless of chart peak. Her "empty" quick little hits are few and far between in her career.

Yes because this is a bonafide HIT in many countries

Yeah. I missed the days the girls are actually went to work. And promote the hell out of their songs everywhere.

PCD, Katy, Beyoncé, Gaga, Taylor....

Thats why even though i dont like Dua that much, i appreciate the hustle.

Yes. I feel she was so proud of this song and really wanted to be a hit. And in the end people remember this song because of how much she shoved it down people's throats. The work ethic Beyoncé showed when it came to the promotion this song is admirable. I'd love for the new girls to take as much pride in their songs and promote the hell out of it.

Spoiler

This is applicable to Gaga's Million Reasons as well. She performed it everywhere, it charted just as bad as Run The World (if not worse). Yet people remember the song, as evident to the amount of times it's performed on talent shows, and it's within the top 100 most streamed songs of 2016.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, blown away said:

Yes. I feel she was so proud of this song and really wanted to be a hit. And in the end people remember this song because of how much she shoved it down people's throats. The work ethic Beyoncé showed when it came to the promotion this song is admirable. I'd love for the new girls to take as much pride in their songs and promote the hell out of it.

Hide contents

This is applicable to Gaga's Million Reasons as well. She performed it everywhere, it charted just as bad as Run The World (if not worse). Yet people remember the song, as evident to the amount of times it's performed on talent shows, and it's within the top 100 most streamed songs of 2016.

That’s what happens when you believe in your own work 

side note MR is a bonafide anthem

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

you couldn’t tell child me that this wasn’t a 15 week #1 smash hit like :alexz2:

She was proud if the message and the song. I don’t get why she appears less passionate about her current music.

I also totally agree, pushing a song and promoting it increases its impact and longevity.

• Like 1

No the song endured because it has a clear theme and vibe so it works well on certain playlists and occasions. I don’t think her performing it on some show in 2011 has anything to do with it

9 minutes ago, Dephira said:

No the song endured because it has a clear theme and vibe so it works well on certain playlists and occasions. I don’t think her performing it on some show in 2011 has anything to do with it

that had everything to do with it :rip: playlists weren’t a thing back then, award show performances were, it’s what made the song stick without needing the charts. a similar thing can be said for Love On Top.

the theme / lyrics and occasion factor obviously helped but it’s the continuous performances that helped cement it as one of her signature songs in the GP’s mind 

• Like 1

I do think that @Dephira is at least partially correct that the theme of RTW helps its longevity because there are a lot of contexts where an event may want to draw on a feminist anthem (campaign rallies, women’s charities, girl boss conventions). 

But Bey’s refusal to give up on songs like RWT and LOT is definitely part of why they’re signature hits 

Yes quality always wins and there are many many many examples. Love On Top is another good example for Bey

• Like 1

Actually, it was a streaming hit before streaming was a thing:

First video by a female artist in Youtube’s History to hit 4,000,000 views in the first 24 hours of release.

First video by a female artist in Youtube's History with more visits in the first week.

Its views in its first week (~24M) were only second to Eminem (~26M) back then. Of course this wasn’t counted for charts and radio completely rejected it, like they did with other huge R&B radio acts from the 00s like Alicia.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.