She's So Unusual (Cyndi Lauper album) turns 40

Born to Run

1200x1200bb.jpg

She's So Unusual is the debut studio album by American singer and songwriter Cyndi Lauper, released on October 14, 1983, by Portrait Records.

The album is primarily new wave-based, with many of the songs being influenced by synthpop and pop rock. Upon its release, the album received positive reviews from music critics, who noted Lauper's unique vocals. Lauper earned several awards and accolades for the album, including two Grammy Awards at the 27th Grammy Awards, one of which was for Best New Artist. She's So Unusual peaked at number four on the Billboard 200 chart and stayed in the chart's top forty for 65 weeks. It has sold over 6 million copies in the United States and 25 million copies worldwide. This makes it Lauper's best-selling album to date and one of the best-selling albums of the 1980s. In 2003, She's So Unusual was ranked at number 494 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time, and it subsequently placed at number 184 in a 2020 reboot of the list. In 2019, the album was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Recording Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

• Thanks 1

Ugh. I love this album so much. 

Time After Time remains a timeless classic. All Through The Night and Girls complete my trinity. Such a fun album. 

• Like 2

Girls Just Want to Have Fun and Time After Time are the definition of timeless classics. :alexz:

• Like 2

Time After Time will forever remind me of this movie. Romy and Michele you’ll always be famous! :heart:

Edited by The Man Who
  • Like 4

Was watching performances Cyndi was doing for Tonight Shows in 1983 and she was so unique, different and fun. She was truly, well... unusual!

She was so talented when performing live and that surprised me, she really sang well, she danced, she played instruments, she was all colorful. Wish a popstar would act this way today. She gave off vibes like she is one of your friends on TV

• Like 1

Great album :heart2:

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

It's a really strong pop album, especially for a debut. And "Time After Time" is one of the great songs ever.

• Like 2

One of the best debut albums released. So many classics from one album. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Man Who said:

Time After Time will forever remind me of this movie. Romy and Michele you’ll always be famous! :heart:

Me too. It was because of that movie that I knew that song. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Man Who said:

Not enough likes in the world for this post 💕

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Man Who said:

recently watched this for the first time with my best friend! it's one of his favs, amazing movie :heart:

• Like 2

mariah-carey.gif

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

It's a really strong pop album, especially for a debut. And "Time After Time" is one of the great songs ever.

I reckon it was so strong a debut because she had her whole life up to that point to make/release it. She was 30 years old and had been playing in a bunch of bands prior to so she could make some connections. 80s Pop just hits different to today's Pop and I think part of the reason is because there were a lot more full grown adults with life experience and musical knowledge crafting these songs/albums vs. how it is now. 

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator
7 minutes ago, Soda Pop Queen said:

I reckon it was so strong a debut because she had her whole life up to that point to make/release it. She was 30 years old and had been playing in a bunch of bands prior to so she could make some connections. 80s Pop just hits different to today's Pop and I think part of the reason is because there were a lot more full grown adults with life experience and musical knowledge crafting these songs/albums vs. how it is now. 

Totally. She had a full-fledged and unique musical identity already formed. That comes through on the record.

• Like 2

What an era

The way she scored 2 mega classics with "Girls" and "Time After Time" is just >>

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bliaz said:

Me too. It was because of that movie that I knew that song. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

@Sisters of Avalon did you stream Money Changes Everything today? :sistrens:

• Like 1

OOOOOP SHE BOP :katie2:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.