Are songs under 2:30 a new trend? what do you think of it?

Maroonx

I have noticed that a lot of artists are releasing songs that around/under 2 mins 30 secs lately. Is it a trend? What do you guys think about it?

For me, the moment songs start to pick up, it suddenly ends. Good examples are "Speed Drive" by Charlie XCX and "Barbie World" by Nicki/Ice.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroonx

• KLatz

• thetea

• ScorpiosGroove

Top Posters In This Topic

TikTok & technology decreased society’s attention span over time.

2:45-3:35min songs >>>>>

perfect length, not too short and not too long

Songs were actually very short before the age of physical recorded media. Things are more or less returning to their original form now that we don't have to justify selling a whole x minute disc/tape.

• Like 2

i hate this trend so much. songs should be at least 3 minutes, or just under. i like having bridges and repeated choruses in songs, but that seems to have died with how short artists are trying to make their songs now

• Like 5

It depends on the song really. 

Like Tinashe's ''Needs'' is 2:26 mins long and I think its perfect length for what it is. Same goes for Barbie World 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Maroonx said:

I have noticed that a lot of artists are releasing songs that around/under 2 mins 30 secs lately. Is it a trend? What do you guys think about it?

For me, the moment songs start to pick up, it suddenly ends. Good examples are "Speed Drive" by Charlie XCX and "Barbie World" by Nicki/Ice.

Speed Drive and Barbie World are less than even 2 mins

Are u just noticing this now its been a trend since 2020

Edited by Insanity

i don't care if the song is good and its what the artist wanted but thats not the case nowadays, songs are getting shorter and shorter because it hightens the chances of getting a hit on tik tok/streaming platforms

44 minutes ago, Century said:

Songs were actually very short before the age of physical recorded media. Things are more or less returning to their original form now that we don't have to justify selling a whole x minute disc/tape.

yeah they are trying to sell vinyls again to boost physical sales again! we see through them 

6 minutes ago, Katamari said:

yeah they are trying to sell vinyls again to boost physical sales again! we see through them 

It’s working because my collection is SHOOK 

I don’t mind the occasional song that’s a bit shorter but it generally means that there isn’t a bridge or a build up to a truly satisfying end. 

I haaaate it. So many potential good songs ruined by a short length. So many great bridges/outros we're missing out... I was kinda disappointed that the new Troye Sivan album is like only half an hour. Got so much more potential

HATE it. Yesterday my most-replayed songs were all between 4 and 9 minutes long. 2 minutes isn't artistry, it's a cash grab. 

I hate it ... these artist gotta stop being so lazy  if my faves new single is 2 minutes long i'm dipping. 

It's been this way for at least a year or two now. :rip: But yeah, it's basically killed the bridge which is usually my favourite part of a song so I'm not entirely here for it, but I get why it's become the new standard.

2:30 is the new 3:30.

7 hours ago, thetea said:

i hate this trend so much. songs should be at least 3 minutes, or just under. i like having bridges and repeated choruses in songs, but that seems to have died with how short artists are trying to make their songs now

one of the saddest things to happen to modern day music is the death of the bridge… barely any one still does them and when they do it’s usually a small, unremarkable one

even artists who always served a hot ass bridge like Lana, Bey and Gaga mostly abandoned them :biblionana:

• Like 1

I’m not a massive fan of overly short songs.

I love this song, but I don’t know why they didn’t give it a proper bridge and a final chorus. It seems to end so abruptly. It could have easily been turned into a 3 minute pop track. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.