Best Buy to End DVD, Blu-ray Disc Sales

Hiatus

The consumer-electronics retailer will phase out sales of DVDs and Blu-ray discs both in-store and online in early 2024, according to industry sources familiar with the company’s plans. Best Buy made the initial decision to end DVD sales nine months ago, according to one source.

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/best-buy-ending-dvd-blu-ray-disc-sales-1235754919/

End of an era forreal! Imagining a Best Buy store with no CDs, vinyl, or DVDs for sale sounds extremely depressing.

• Like 2

Honestly, good. I hate seeing physical media go away but Best Buy marked theirs up way too much :skull:

• Haha 1

Definitely the end of an era but the writing has been on the walls for a while now. Target, Best Buy ect, have had their physical stock dwindling for years now. I think next year we will see a major push industry wide to go all digital. Crazy to think about!

Hate this. This will leave a physical media desert in a lot of places in the US. As someone who lives in NYC I have more brick-and-mortar options, but a lot of collectors elsewhere rely on Best Buy for their in-store purchases.

Really, really sad. Genuinely my only reason to ever visit Best Buy was to buy physical media. There's very few big places left that carry blu-rays.

We really need to keep physical media alive.

This is heartbreaking. We're moving to a world where everything is stored in a computer somewhere and can disappear in a second.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, nostalgic said:

This is heartbreaking. We're moving to a world where everything is stored in a computer somewhere and can disappear in a second.

Are CDs/DVDs/Blurays some form of indestructible physical media storage?  Any piece of digital art can potentially be completely erased if you destroyed every copy of it. It's the same thing with streaming where every art form is already digital and just stored in servers instead of physical CDs. 

1 minute ago, Taylena said:

Are CDs/DVDs/Blurays some form of indestructible physical media storage?  Any piece of digital art can potentially be completely erased if you destroyed every copy of it. It's the same thing with streaming where every art form is already digital and just stored in servers instead of physical CDs. 

I think there are definitely concerns about lost media. Streaming services can remove media at any time, or edit it from its original form. Physical media gives collectors and enthusiasts a way to watch their favorite movies and TV shows. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I think there are definitely concerns about lost media. Streaming services can remove media at any time, or edit it from its original form. Physical media gives collectors and enthusiasts a way to watch their favorite movies and TV shows. 

I get that some people enjoy to have the actual thing in their hands, but I would never pay like $20 for every season of my favorite shows, that would occupy an enormous space in my house, when I can just download hundreds of tv shows/movies to a single hard drive or to somewhere in cloud storage.

amazon kills another 

What the ****? :biblio: I look forward to their Blu-ray sales every holiday season.

We NEED physical media.

Here's a good example why. This track:

Can't be streamed. If the Youtube uploads go down, it's over. The movie has a different version of this track. This version of the song will literally be lost in history if Youtube takes it down. You have to find a physical CD of this movie's soundtrack, which was released 21 years ago, in order to preserve it for yourself. 

But this CD hasn't been in production since 2002 (why may I say is a GORGEOUS design. I cherish my copy of it very deeply.), so if you want to legally own a lossless quality version of this track, you have to get the CD. Who knows how many are there up for sale across the world. 

This version of the track is literally about to become extinct because physical media is not respected, and digital media is a mess. 

And then we have countless video games, especially from the PS2 era which are in the same boatm. The 2004 version of GTA San Andreas is a very, very sad example. 

TLDR: Digital media is highly abusable and lack of commitment to physical media leads to forgotten media. 

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Hey Dude said:

We NEED physical media.

Can't be streamed. If the Youtube uploads go down, it's over. The movie has a different version of this track. This version of the song will literally be lost in history if Youtube takes it down. You have to find a physical CD of this movie's soundtrack, which was released 21 years ago, in order to preserve it for yourself. 

But this CD hasn't been in production since 2002 (why may I say is a GORGEOUS design. I cherish my copy of it very deeply.), so if you want to legally own a lossless quality version of this track, you have to get the CD. Who knows how many are there up for sale across the world. 

This version of the track is literally about to become extinct because physical media is not respected, and digital media is a mess. 

And then we have countless video games, especially from the PS2 era which are in the same boatm. The 2004 version of GTA San Andreas is a very, very sad example. 

TLDR: Digital media is highly abusable and lack of commitment to physical media leads to forgotten media. 

A really good example of why we need physical media, even if it's produced on a smaller scale.

I listen to very niche music, very old music that isn't available on streaming platforms, or is but the copy used is a poor sounding version.

And don't get me started on how much content is out there that is still exclusive to CDs. Such as bsides, many of which aren't on steaming services.

I hate the idea that digital purchases and streaming content can be put on the chopping block for any reason at any time. I actually had this happen a couple of times on a digital download site I had used to purchase music; I went to redownload a couple of my purchases and they were suddenly no longer available. I couldn't download my files I legally had purchased.

I guess I'm old fashioned, but I've always prefered CDs to digital and streaming. I find it wasteful to spend money on a streaming plan when I already own a lot of music, and I don't need access to millions of songs and albums I'll never listen to.

I sincerely hope a market is maintained for physical media. Especially with movies: blu ray and 4k titles are huge files, digital downloads I assume would be hugely compressed. It makes more sense to buy the disc if you care about things like this.

Things like this make me sad and nervous. I hope for the best in the end.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Moloko Plus said:

End of an era forreal! Imagining a Best Buy store with no CDs, vinyl, or DVDs for sale sounds extremely depressing.

I haven't seen cds ate my nearest best buy for years now 😭

I remember getting Kesha's Warrior and Ellie's Lights there once 😭

They're probably going to end themselves sooner rather than later. A bunch of overpriced electronics where you can get the exact same thing elsewhere for much cheaper. Their Best Buy exclusive Blu-rays/4Ks were one of the only things that made them worth the trouble.

On 10/13/2023 at 3:41 PM, Hey Dude said:

We NEED physical media.

just finished this movie :weeps: it still holds up after all these years 

F**k that. Physical media > digital media any damn day of the week.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.