Which teen films rival Mean Girls in terms of cultural influence?

ccfan007

Which teen films have rivaled or surpassed 'Mean Girls' in terms of cultural influence?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which teen films have rivaled or surpassed 'Mean Girls' in terms of cultural influence?

• None
    • Twilight
    • The Hunger Games
    • Divergent
    • The Fault In Our Stars
    • Other

Mean Girls have the longevity all of the mentioned movies could only dream to have. October 3rd being the international MG day helps a lot too. 

The poll options having absolutely nothing to do with Mean Girls' genre. :deadbanana2: The closest is probably Pitch Perfect, but that had nowhere near the staying power and iconic legacy that MG still carries. Ironically I think PP would have stood the test of time better had it been a one-off thing rather than a three-parter... I only watched the third and (thankfully) final instalment last year and man that was pretty cringe and disappointing. :doc:

Jennifer's Body is that beach, imo

Too Little, Too Late: The Queer Cult Status of 'Jennifer's Body' Is  Bittersweet | Them

if shows are allowed, then surely Gossip Girl would take the cake, no?

A 'Gossip Girl' Reboot Is Officially, Officially Happening | Glamour

2 hours ago, Aurora said:

The poll options having absolutely nothing to do with Mean Girls' genre. :deadbanana2: The closest is probably Pitch Perfect, but that had nowhere near the staying power and iconic legacy that MG still carries. Ironically I think PP would have stood the test of time better had it been a one-off thing rather than a three-parter... I only watched the third and (thankfully) final instalment last year and man that was pretty cringe and disappointing. :doc:

Same for Twilight, they stretched their fandom thin and most people moved on by the time it was all said and done, feeling satisfied with the content they had received. :matty:

Had it been a one off or at most a two parter, I'm almost certain it would have received cult status. I think part of becoming cult status is the fanbases longing for more content in its universe. But I think its resurgance will come

Edited by kataraqueen

twilight had a renaissance for its fashion/aesthetic on tiktok over the last 2 years so that one 

None. The only one that came close was Juno 

I will say on the record that on average, Hunger Games as a brand and IP has far wider reach than Mean Girls ever has.

Mean Girls in terms of the demographic it attracts has absolutely penetrated it and will stand the test of time but it isn't a 'geepee thing', not the same way Hunger Games or Jennifer Lawrence, both of whom were A-list IPs/brands during their peak, are.

I dont think Hunger Games will stand the test of time with the YA audience the same way MG will with the girls and the gays but HG will absolutely outlast MG in terms of brand awareness and 'hey i know this', the whistle alone is iconic. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Duff said:

I can't at the options, they don't seem like the typical teen comedy movie :dies: 

Easy A is a great answer. I also want to throw in Legally Blonde, Confessions of a Shopaholic, She's the Man and A Cinderella Story. All teen chick flicks that are still getting a lot of discussions online.

Nobody talks about those movies since the year rhey came out and they have 0 known quotes, bfr

• Haha 1

The only time I see Twilight being mentioned is when someone is making fun of it. The baseball scene, that cgi baby, acting etc. :skull:

Twilight and Hunger Games are far bigger than Mean Girls what u mean?

Not comparable at all.. one cult classic versus fantasary film series

The notebook.

Queen Rachel is eating everyone up in 2004

bring it on

american pie 

The White House and world leaders still quote Mean Girls to this day, its cultural impact has transcended the movie/plot and its original intended demographic in a way that's pretty unprecedented and that makes it bigger and more impressive than blockbuster book franchises with big fandoms that would always keep them afloat so my answer is none :bird:

• Haha 1

none

Twilight has longevity and people still love it, but in a more ironic way. Like people will go to a screening to watch the silly lines and blue editing, etc. 

I'd say they are equally big but Mean Girls aged better, is more respected, and more acclaimed. It also has more depth to it, despite it being a high school comedy. 

Also, this could be because I'm from Europe, but The Breakfast Club is definitely not bigger or more remembered than Mean Girls. Mean Girls is better than TBC in pretty much every way. TBC is kinda forgotten. 

Never watched them, but maybe Those High School Musical movies? And was Bring It Om before or after Mean Girls? Same for 13 Going on 30?

Superbad, Juno, Booksmart, and Lady Bird have critical acclaim.

I would like to give a small shoutout to Love, Simon. 

I also think Perks of Being a Wallflower has a small but mighty following. And it’s my last truly great teen movie. 

My favourite Netflix teen flick is The Half of It. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.