Which teen films rival Mean Girls in terms of cultural influence?

ccfan007

Which teen films have rivaled or surpassed 'Mean Girls' in terms of cultural influence?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which teen films have rivaled or surpassed 'Mean Girls' in terms of cultural influence?

• None
    • Twilight
    • The Hunger Games
    • Divergent
    • The Fault In Our Stars
    • Other

Mean Girls was quite huge with its relatable themes, Quotable Lines, Humor and depth, and Diverse cast. Is there any other teen film SINCE that has surpassed this film's cultural significance to date?

Clueless 

EDIT: Just read since in the post. Nothing I can think of.

Edited by blackoutbaby
  • Thanks 3

Twilight was bigger while it lasted but IDK if it's that important or held any relevancy years later. Mean Girls, albeit as a meme, it's still kinda relevant online.

The Fault In Our Stars was a flash on the pan

Edited by Trash

idk how Hunger Games is in the same category but it's much bigger and iconic of course 

The Breakfast Club

edit: wait I didn’t read the post. No teen movie has since surpassed Mean Girls other than Harry Potter (does that count?) 

Edited by JoJo
  • Thanks 1

If we’re gonna bring in Twilight and Hunger Games we might as well mention Harry Potter which devours them all combined

But Mean Girls is very different from these since it’s not fantasy, hard to compare

• Like 3

None of them imo

It came out almost 20 years ago, and yet when I went to a screening of it at the movies a couple of months ago and it was PACKED.

Twilight/The Hunger Games while huge, are in some ways very 'of their time'. Vampire lore was popular in the 2000s and dystopian universes were popular in the early 2010s. Mean Girls is about high school, which is a timeless subject matter. They're still popular but I don't see cultural references to either of those the way I do mean Girls. And they benefit from being a franchise and not just a standalone movie

Divergent was a poor man's Hunger Games and TFIOS (and John Green in general tbh) was a fad of the 2010s

Edited by Mordecai

Twilight is still kinda relevant today which is shocking for me since it’s godawful :deadbanana2: I can’t believe people haven’t moved on

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, enchanted0 said:

Twilight is still kinda relevant today which is shocking for me since it’s godawful :deadbanana2: I can’t believe people haven’t moved on

That's weird, I barely see anyone mention it at all these days :rip:

Hunger Games feels the closest, but none of these really. I think the teen comedy is also dead. Easy A is the 2010s teen comedy that even feels relevant today.

• Like 1

the fact that there’s even a possible comparison of cultural influence between a high school comedy and these massive billion dollar fantasy franchises may or may not answer the question at hand

• Like 5

Twilight was way bigger even tho no one cares about it today but aging millennials. Mean Girls is iconic in teen pop culture, but it wasn’t a phenomenon like twilight was. I remember in highschool going to the theaters for the twilight movies and they were like Box office event films. :rip: I mean so was Hunger Games but twilight was still more iconic then both. 

Twilight and Hunger Games shouldn’t count imo.

Honestly none. Some have come closer (Easy A, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Booksmart) and I can see some getting their in the future (Do Revenge, Bottoms)

i dont think twilight, hunger games, harry potter fall in the same category. those are book based franchises that were already big before being movies.

Twilight and THG were obviously bigger in their time but Mean girls outlasted and outimpacted them all

I don't think Harry Potter is part of this conversation, they're not really "teen movies", more like family movies.

OT: Mean Girls is impressive in terms of its staying power but there have been other teen films over the years that have felt like "events". The most recent one I can think of is "To All The Boys I Loved Before". Admittedly a bit forgotten now, but I feel like it was everywhere for a couple of months. 

30 minutes ago, JustLikeHoney said:

Perfect Pitch

Wait this is actually a really good answer, this had quite a big cultural impact as well

• Like 3

I dont even see Hunger Games as teen movie since its more distopian and all the characters look early 20s to 25. They dont't look like teenagers and also she becomes a mom by the end...

The cultural impact of all of those movies combined doesn’t touch the cultural impact of Mean Girls…be real 

Nothing comes close to the cultural impact of Mean Girls except for the Harry Potter films.

I can't at the options, they don't seem like the typical teen comedy movie :dies: 

Easy A is a great answer. I also want to throw in Legally Blonde, Confessions of a Shopaholic, She's the Man and A Cinderella Story. All teen chick flicks that are still getting a lot of discussions online.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.