Was this racism or am I overreacting?

Cleanromantic

I moved to Germany to study and while allot of people are very nice and warm, I had some ~interesting encounters and I don't know if these were racist interactions or not.

Day 1: 

I was trying to buy a train ticket but the machine would not accept cash, I went to ask a worker at the reisezentrum counter about how to buy a ticket and the woman legitimately ignored me for 5 minutes and kept staring at her computer screen then said in German "I don't speak English". I think this was my fault because I didn't realise I needed to get a ticket to talk to people at the counter. 

Day 2:

A drunk man started making monkey sounds when I passed by. 

Day 3: 

I was at the mall looking to buy shoes, I went into a shop and I was taking pictures for my friend to get their opinion on which ones to buy, then I decided to look at other shops at the mall before deciding which ones to get, I left the store and I was still on the phone messaging my friend when a girl working there called me back and asked to search my back pack. I opened it for her and she checked it then she was like "the door scanner sometimes beeps when there is some metal in bags", but the door scanner did not beep. 

What do you guys think?

Edited by Cleanromantic
  • Like 2

Day one is probably just some rude person

The others are racist

• Like 7

I'm sorry you went through this, people in Europe always claim that only Americans are racist :rip: 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

A lot of German service workers are just extremely rude to everyone. Number 3 sounds like potential racial profiling, number 2 is just straight up racist 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saintlor said:

I'm sorry you went through this, people in Europe always claim that only Americans are racist :rip: 

What made it worse is that I really liked a pair of shoes at that store and I called my mom and she told me that I was overreacting and to go back and buy them, so I did. They didn't have my size so the very nice woman at the counter sent the same girl to a storeroom outside the shop to get my size, and she came back and gave them to me :gaycat6: I felt so mortified and awkward :deadbanana:.

Yes.

There is racism everywhere. Acknowledge that the negativity exists but don't cling to it. There are some genuinely good people out there and you are a capable human being. Reorient yourself to these things and live with dignity.

• Like 1

I would say that Number 1 wasn't racist, it's just how some Germans are :skull: Number 3 was definitely racial profiling. I think the experience depends on where you live in Germany. People in Berlin for example can be very direct and rude. 

You are asking the wrong forum sis, But yes. I experienced racism for the first time in my life when I went to Europe. Figures!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anthinos said:

I would say that Number 1 wasn't racist, it's just how some Germans are :skull: Number 3 was definitely racial profiling. I think the experience depends on where you live in Germany. People in Berlin for example can be very direct and rude. 

I'm in east Germany. 

All Racism. Europe is notorious for its racism but unfortunately it's not well known enough to Europeans themselves LOL

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dephira said:

A lot of German service workers are just extremely rude to everyone. Number 3 sounds like potential racial profiling, number 2 is just straight up racist 

This. I was traveling through Frankfurt and if anyone has had a layover there know the airport is HUGE. I was lost on my first international vacation alone. I asked an employee which direction to go (his job was to direct people) and he made the most STANK face pointed in a direction and said nothing. 

Like damn Doja you can't just be polite? Paint the town red I guess 

its definitely at least a microaggression. 

Definitely racist. Europe is apparently getting more racist. I was at Paris Disney with my cousin and her husband, who is black, and we had a reservation for a restaurant and he went to the lady to say we were here, and she made us wait while other people came in with even later reservations and sat them first until I finally complained and asked why were we alone at being seated when we had a reservation also (and I could see an empty table that would fit us) and then she turned to my cousins husband and asked him to pay for the meals upfront. Ive never seen that before. 

Edited by SleepNoMore
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cleanromantic said:

I'm in east Germany. 

Welp. Why are you there? That’s the most racist part of Germany. I have a friend from west Germany who refused to go when I ask him if we could go visit some cities there.

1 hour ago, Saintlor said:

absolutely nobody claims that :rip:

• Like 1

Going to Europe scares me mainly for that reason :mazen:, I'm not even white-passing 

Edited by G.U.Y_Del_Rey

10 minutes ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

absolutely nobody claims that :rip:

Actually they do. We’ve had this discussion before on Atrl. The main difference is Americans oftentimes acknowledge their race issues and at least try to make amends. Europeans tend to ignore it by saying it’s not racism, and then claim it’s not like the US. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, G.U.Y_Del_Rey said:

Going to Europe scares me mainly for that reason, I'm not even white-passing :mazen:

If you go to a tourist heavy area or English Speaking area like Greece, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, the UK, you should be ok. Barely anyone in Germany spoke English when I visited. And east Germany is worse. But Berlin is pretty open.

Yeah, east Germany really isn't the best place to be if you're black, LGBT+ etc. The AfD (our far right party) is very popular there and the area is not very diverse, it's mostly white Germans. West Germany or Berlin are far more diverse and open. I also heard some terrible stories from east Germany like from a gay couple that had to move because they were bullied by their neighbours because of their sexuality. As a gay guy I wouldn't move there either. Good cities are Berlin, Hamburg, Cologne and I would say Munich, too.

1 hour ago, What_A_Mess said:

Welp. Why are you there? That’s the most racist part of Germany. I have a friend from west Germany who refused to go when I ask him if we could go visit some cities there.

That's where the only school that accepted me is, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, dumbsparce said:

2nd and 3rd days definitely were. How did you restrain yourself from kicking that man in the balls?

Omg, I was so scared. I had to run an errand back where he was standing and I had to go through a longer, more roundabout way to avoid him. Luckily, there was construction in the middle of the road so he couldn't see me passing by from the other side :deadbanana2:.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.