Why didn't Gaga's "I'll Never Love Again" achieve success like AIRUTW and Shallow?

ScubaDive

Gaga and her team are famously allergic to capitalizing on any momentum in her musical career.  Gorgeous song tho

Edited by CoolNebraskaGuy
  • Like 5

Doesn’t it have like a billion streams on Spotify and YouTube? ARUTW is an anomaly but even then INLA did so objectively well as a non single

• Like 2

when I read the title, I thought this was about 'Speechless' :priceless:

It should have. It’s objectively better than Shallow and ARUTW. This song and Is That Alright? are modern classics ala Whitney songs in another universe

• Like 2

Mariah? I'd say it's more Whitney Houston inspired if anything. I Will Always Love You was definitely a reference because Gags does similar runs too.

Anyways, while I love all 3, ARUTW and Shallow are better songs by far and actually feel/sound more like Gaga. The folk/country/rock ish vibe of those songs is timeless. INLA is way too 90s power ballad pastiche imo, and that's not going to smash nowadays. It's kinda funny how they were initially going to push that song instead though. :dies: 

That being said, I would say the song was still a success though? It has +1B streams from Spotify/Youtube, has nice certs globally, and won a Grammy.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

Mariah? I'd say it's more Whitney Houston inspired if anything. I Will Always Love You was definitely a reference because Gags does similar runs too.

Anyways, while I love all 3, ARUTW and Shallow are better songs by far and actually feel/sound more like Gaga. The folk/country/rock ish vibe of those songs is timeless. INLA is way too 90s power ballad pastiche imo, and that's not going to smash nowadays. It's kinda funny how they were initially going to push that song instead though. :dies: 

That being said, I would say the song was still a success though? It has +1B streams from Spotify/Youtube, has nice certs globally, and won a Grammy.

It's bc it has no collaboration I think

I guess the song itself is ginormous but it's helped by the other two. I didn't know they were gonna push it, that's crazy. 

It’s more somber than Shallow and ARUTW. I think it’s also just a more generic ballad than those two. 

• Like 1

Pundits were saying that Shallow stole all the limelight leading up to the 2018 Oscars and after that there was no point in promoting singles from a soundtrack so they let INLA rot

4 minutes ago, babyboy1 said:

Pundits were saying that Shallow stole all the limelight leading up to the 2018 Oscars and after that there was no point in promoting singles from a soundtrack so they let INLA rot

ASIB OST isn’t a typical pop album

though. It’s a soundtrack to a backstage musical film. They were never going to promote it to the extent that they would a stand-alone pop album. Regardless the album became a hit as did ARUTW. 

They can't push three singles at the same time. Shallow was the single from Oct to March that time 5 months bc of the Oscars campaign. Releasing singles after that would be useless since Oscars are done and the movie isn't on theaters anymore.

Edited by OreGuy

It's still a hit tho :heart: just smaller than shallow and arutw

• Like 1

if they really wanted to push ASIB as an actual music era for Gaga… Shallow, ARUTW, and ITA would’ve all went top 10 and INLA would be top 20 :jonny5:

source: i just know it!

Edited by alejandreaux
  • Like 1

Is That an Oscar? is the underrated gem of the album :chick3:

Beautiful song but too 90s AC'd. Shallow and ARUTW were mega-embraced by the country sector of the GP and that's partially why they've been so successful stateside. 

Too sad imo, that part of the movie is just :monkey: 

Vocal delivery. It's a beautiful song that demonstrates amazing technique, but that's what you focus on (how good she is). Where as the others punch you in the gut more. Her voice is more emotive and connect better in this soft rock style.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.