Is Body Positivity Kind of Hollow and Unhelpful?

GraceRandolph

I think if you don’t like your body you should change it instead of learning to like it. 

What we really need to more people telling others how to reach their body image goals safely instead of convincing them to settle

And to explain to them what is genetically possible for an individual  :michael:

I think our generation push the "love your body" idea too much.

It's a pretty new concept and it really give good coins when it comes to beauty market and self care.

Are you healthy?

Do you manage to have social life?

Do you keep going in life?

Those questions should be priorities. 

Using body positivity to support people who have a dangerous weight for their health or fit guys/girl who don't have an entirely fit body are two extremes that are nonsense.

8 hours ago, jesus del rey said:

I think we need to stop focusing so much on our bodies from a western beauty standard. It's essential to everyone to realize that the beauty standards that are set are only selling you your self-worth back (via beauty products, etc.) or pushing your psyche to hate your own body so that the later manifestation of this hatred can be profited off of from other areas of your life. Calling your stretch marks your "beauty marks" only strengthens the idea that these things should be of your focus and important on your body (this can be applied to acne, hair loss, etc.), as long as you have a healthy body (again, healthy not in a social sense but in a medical sense) I don't think focusing on these things will do you any favor. 

I think you hit the nail on the head with this. The beauty standard promoted by the beauty industry and the features that make it are so ingrained into all of us that it seems nigh impossible to truly detach ourselves from it. I think the body positivity movement is important as a resistance method for those standards, but it can be frustrating because there is much work to be done and it seems like most people are either not even aware of it (or rather, why it is in place)/are aware but don't know what to do to combat it or don't feel like they have the power to do that and thus stick to feeding into it in their every day lives which only makes it worse and harder to deviate from it. 

Agreed :giraffe:, relatives and therapists alway try to gaslight you but they very well know they're lying.

Also, this is so relatable

2 hours ago, G.U.Y_Del_Rey said:

Agreed :giraffe:, relatives and therapists alway try to gaslight you but they very well know they're lying.

Also, this is so relatable

Love this song

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.