Who is the better vocalist?

ScubaDive

Better vocalist, Mariah Carey or Kelly Clarkson?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Queens of Vocals

1 minute ago, Punky Rooster said:

Peak: Mariah

Now: Kelly

this

Assuming that we’re talking about primes, Mariah. Very comfortably.

In these singing discussions, people hyper-fixate so much on technique that they forget to assess the thing that matters above all else: musicality.

Mariah is a top five all-time vocalist btw. Female or male, alive or dead. Write that down somewhere.

Edited by LikeATattoo

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Punky Rooster said:

This is the correct answer. 

The only person seeing peak Mariah is Whitney and perhaps Celine on a great day

But nowadays it’s Kelly

2 minutes ago, Rv1709 said:

Mariah is more technique than emoting and therefore I don’t believe the words she’s signing 

Mariah actually isn’t a technique-oriented vocalist at all. :rip:

2 hours ago, Punky Rooster said:

bam! there it is :cm:

goddd i love Kelly’s voice so much :falcon:

Both

Mariah for rnb/ballads

Kelly for pop/rock 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rv1709 said:

Mariah is more technique than emoting and therefore I don’t believe the words she’s signing 

y’all really be saying anything omg :bibliahh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fentypark said:

y’all really be saying anything omg :bibliahh:

Like for real be saying anything lmao.

Mariah for everything. Yall are smoking :rip: 

I'm going to go with Mariah.

Mariah at her peak was the superior vocalist. Although, Kelly has yet to experience a vocal decline and has continued to develop her skill and excel as she aged demonstrating consistency that Mariah didn't.  Mariah started declining vocally by her late 20s and hasn't recovered since.  I don't know if we can say Mariah has better technique since she wasn't able to sustain her abilities and had an early vocal decline.  But I'm far from a vocal expert maybe someone who knows more about this can explain it lol. 

Mariah also has better musicality and is a more interesting vocalist/artist overall imo, that's why you hear her influence on pretty much every vocalist that debuted after her.  Kelly has fewer unique vocal qualities, but she's better at selling emotion.  I guess it comes down to personal preference since they are both so different. 

I love Kelly so much and always praise her to the highest regard possible, but vocally I think Mariah is better. Kelly may have been more consistent but Mariah's vocal peak was just insane.

Mariah’s peak is pretty unmatchable.

That being said, Kelly’s the best pop vocalist at the moment and emotes better than Mariah imo.

Mariah Carey, due to her overall versatility. I'll listen to an album from her, all of these years later, and still be completely blown away. Kelly's no slouch either, though. To be put against Mariah is a win all its own.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.