Golden Globes adding "Box Office Achievement" category

Gui Blackout

The Golden Globe Awards will introduce two new categories to its upcoming January broadcast, Variety has learned exclusively. The categories will honor hit movies with global reach in either box office or streaming views, as well as acknowledge the best performance in a stand-up comedy special.

The first new prize is the Golden Globe for Cinematic and Box Office Achievement. Eligible nominees will be among the year’s highest-earning or most-seen feature films that also deliver creative excellence.

Titles must have grossed at least $150 million during release, $100 million of which must have come from domestic box office. Streaming films with commensurate viewership will be considered based on data from “recognized industry sources,” the Globes said. Eight films will be eligible for that prize, and can also compete for categories like Best Motion Picture Drama or Comedy as long as they meet criteria for those fields.

• Confused 1

Interesting.

An award for quality blockbuster.

Their version of the Popular Film Oscar that never came to fruition :skull:

I can see Barbie (inarguably the #1 box office story of 2023) win this one, while Best Musical/Comedy goes to Poor Things or The Color Purple.

I guess so many movies bombed at the box office this summer that actually doing well is seen as some rare achievement that needs recognition. Barbie should easily win this. 

• ATRL Moderator
15 minutes ago, Feanor said:

I can see Barbie (inarguably the #1 box office story of 2023) win this one, while Best Musical/Comedy goes to Poor Things or The Color Purple.

They really need to separate Musical and Comedy imo

28 minutes ago, Feanor said:

the colour purple definitely won't.

Yeah Poor things could "steal" barbie win but it's golden globes, barbie is imo absolutely the favourite. 

Edited by vale9001

It’s getting weird……

but Barbie needs to get this Globe :clap3:

it’s funny that they’re making streaming movies eligible for the “Golden Globe for Cinematic and Box Office Achievement” :biblio:

but seems like this was tailor made for Barbie to win this year

12 hours ago, Aston Martin said:

I guess so many movies bombed at the box office this summer that actually doing well is seen as some rare achievement that needs recognition. Barbie should easily win this. 

like stated above, this is basically their attempt at what the oscars tried to do with a popular film category. and then sorta tried to do with that weird Oscars Fan Favorite and Oscars Cheer Moment, both going to zack snyder.

What's the point? Awards should be based on merit, not commercial success.

1 hour ago, midnightdawn said:

What's the point? Awards should be based on merit, not commercial success.

Merit yes and it is still that way, but suggesting that commercial success isn’t or can’t be valuable feat on its own is actually wrong considering scoring high isn’t common place. 
Moreover, commercial success doesn’t necessarily exclude merit ( or vice versa ). 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.