Advice Please: You open Spotify, then what??

WildOne

I have really bad ADD, and option overload can really make my decision making freeze up. There's just SO many options of playlists and such on Spotify, that it's often honestly easier for me to just keep listening to whatever audiobook I have at the moment. It sucks because I really love music and I want to listen to more new music and more artists! 

When you open Spotify, if you don't already have something in mind that you want to listen to, how do you decide what to listen to? Do you have a few main playlists you cycle through, do you just use your daily mixes? 

Does anyone else experience this?

Never use playlists or daily mixes. I just go on a best selling albums of 19XX list, pick one with a cool cover or an artist I already have some exposure to, and listen.

• Haha 1

I listen to a song I really like and then just let Spotify (or tidal in my case) put on random songs after that, I end up adding like 80% of them to my playlist bc the algorithm is just that good

honestly it’s the best way for me to find new music I like

the BEST new feature Spotify has added in the last little while is auto generated mixes. go to your search bar and type whatever vibe, genre, feeling, anything and include the word mix and there will be an auto generated playlist for you. if i want chill music, i type chill mix, something will be there... if i want something angry, vibey, moody, fun, music for shopping or walking.. just type in any word and spotify will somehow have the music for it, it's awesome.

Because I always open Spotify with having something in my mind beforehand? :rip: It's not like Netflix where you open it and then decide what to watch after checking the app for half an hour. If I don't have anything in my mind I just randomly play an album I like or my saved songs and let the AutoPlay do it's thing.

Edited by Kayseri Mantisi
  • Like 1

discover weekly can be really good. it gives you new music from artists you listen to or music from artists similar to what you listen to.

also starting a song radio can be helpful with new and familiar music.

I mainly listen to the same stuff on repeat tho :toofunny2:

Edited by flower moon

My favourite thing to do is play a song I like, and then See what Spotify will auto play based on that song. It’s fun.

Otherwise my go to playlist.

https://spotify.link/Unj25v6ooDb

Edited by Raphy23

Apple Music here, but same difference—I tend to listen to an album I know I already love but haven't listened to in a long time. This evening, as a matter of fact, it's Beyoncé's 4. I find it easier to transition to another album after already having listened to one.

I stream mainly R&B/Hip Hop so the algorithm will automatically direct me to what I’m interested in. 

Otherwise, I stream albums in full or visit the big playlists to see whats out there.

I play Killin' Me Good by Jihyo and go from there. 

I open up Spotify and immediately play "Girl Like Me" from the hit album Starfucker by this hot new artist called Slayyyter!

• Like 1

If I don’t know what I’m in the mood for, I’ll use my daily mixes. 2hrs of bops

Depends, I either listen to an album, if I can't think of one I use the AI DJ.

And I got a playlist of 400 songs I love but I mainly listen to that during car rides or when im in shower or cleaning.

Lately I played a playlist of 25 songs and have it on loop but that's just my streaming playlist :gaycat6:

just turn on autoplay or choose a song you're currently vibing with and click "Go To Song Radio". i think those works the exact same way IDK

I have a bunch of albums saved on spotify and usually go there, listen to something, like the songs I liked the most then generate a song radio for the one I liked the most. 

But I usually supplement Spotify with RYM as far as music discovery goes. Anything I rate on RYM I check out the lists they are featured on and you can find gems that way.

Edited by Wicked

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.