Why does Mariah Carey have more longevity than Britney Spears?

Blue Ace

Why does Mariah Carey have more longevity than Britney Spears?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Why does Mariah Carey have more longevity/more remembered than Britney Spears?

• More talent
    • More acclaim
    • Better music
    • Bigger hits
    • More global
    • Other

Equivalent Album Sales from Chartmasters: 

Mariah Carey - 19,928,000

...Baby One More Time - 32,726,000

Emotions - 13,296,000

Oops!... I Did It Again    - 24,729,000

Music Box - 34,707,000

Britney - 13,542,000

Merry Christmas - 20,132,000

In the Zone - 13,531,000

Daydream - 32,312,000

Blackout - 5,561,000

Butterfly - 13,599,000

Circus  - 8,190,000

Rainbow - 9,415,000

Femme Fatale - 4,965,000

Glitter - 2,254,000

Britney Jean - 1,596,000

Charmbracelet - 3,018,000

Glory - 1,084,000

The Emancipation of Mimi - 11,042,000

B10 - ?

Comparing them album to album, Britney started out strong with her first 2 albums but seemed to fizzle out quickly. Whereas Mariah has showed much more longevity, outselling her with every subsequent album. And it's unlikely B10 will outsell Mariah's 10th album, TEOM. Mariah's hits (and even an album track) from her 11th and 12th album also went viral recently. So this begs the question, why is Mariah Carey more remembered and why does she have more longevity than Britney Spears? I LOVE them both but this is a VERY interesting topic.

tumblr_oxce754U7V1uzvudxo1_250.gifv

• Like 1

More albums, people have always and will always talk about her voice, she has a massive seasonal hit that becomes the biggest song for weeks for the past like 5 years now... those are probably the main reasons. We stan both though :-* 

• Like 1

Mariah was the biggest female artist for an entire decade and then also had the biggest hit of the following decade regardless of gender. Madonna and Whitney are the only women who have comparable stats(Taylor is huge too but not in the same metrics as them bc of industry changes). Britney is a legend too though and trying to argue against that FACT just makes people look like morons.

7 minutes ago, BionicWooHoo said:

Mariah will always be remembered for her immense, undeniable talent

Britney too for her talent in different areas to Mariah. We love talented women. :clap3:

Edited by Century
  • Like 1

They’re both completely different artists so it’s hard to compare. Both are amazing and talented.

Mariah has been more consistent with releases, and also genuinely enjoys the music she’s making – which I think Britney unfortunately has not had the privilege of doing because of obvious reasons….

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

More albums, people have always and will always talk about her voice, she has a massive seasonal hit that becomes the biggest song for weeks for the past like 5 years now... those are probably the main reasons. We stan both though :-* 

Yes we do. :alexz:

Mariah had a bigger range (in terms of music although yes she has the best  vocal range ever) and more diverse music. 

Britney stayed with dance whilst Mariah went from AC ballads to pop to RnB and kept reinventing her image which allowed her to stay relevant longer. Although Britney did have a fantastic career as well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, magazine said:

the report :dies:

I hope more people report it. This is clearly flamebait.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

More talent and acclaim. Producers are responsible for a lot of Britney's songs being successful whereas Mariah's raw talent and vocal ability shines in all of her songs. Very clear. I say this as someone who isn't really into Mariah's discography and am more likely to listen to Britney.

Edited by Gladiator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, magazine said:

Mariah had less competition!

FsrQzba.gif

Jessica Simpson, Mandy Moore, and Samantha Mumba had everyone shaking! 

3 minutes ago, JustHoran said:

I hope more people report it. This is clearly flamebait.

I love Britney and would never make a flamebait topic against her. Just thought that this would be an interesting topic as it hasn't really been discussed it on ATRL before. It's also leading to some very insightful discourse! 

tumblr_mkk3artWHw1rtjjupo1_250.gifv

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

You really want to start a war today don't you

No, those petty things don't interest me. Just wanted an interesting pop music/culture discussion! 

nth9oRR.gif

Guys, let's not turn this into a blood bath. It's all fine. Both queens win :heart: Sure, Britney is better. But both win and that's what matters in the end!

Let's leave the reports and annoying "drags" for a certain other fan base.

FsrQzba.gif

• Like 1

what u want.... Now-choked GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Very random comparison, but Mariah is a vocal powerhouse meanwhile Britney is more of known as a entertainer we should also not forget the fact that just after 5 albums she was held under an abusive conservatorship and her first 2 were not her projects she started gaining her creative control from her 3 project so if you look at it she just had 3 albums under her belt before things happened with her. Not a fair comparison imo, rest ATRL will do what it wants to. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, unclefloprry said:

idk, but I can't name another Mariah song other than the Christmas song.

That’s not something to be proud of. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.