Bigger gen Z shift ? Pinkpantheress‘ Y2Kcore vs Billie’s Moody Alt-pop

Take Me Apart

Bigger cultural reset ?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. pick one

• PinkPantheress
    • Billie Eilish

Both girls showed immense impact amongst their peers both visually and sonically from the moment they started blowing up.

Everyone and their mothers have been trying out the UK Garage/D&B/Jersey Club sound with Y2K aesthetics since PinkP popped out on tiktok, from K-Pop to the European rap scene and now even in South America

And we also remember when every label was trying to have their own Billie and the countless Bad Guy rehashes that came with it. Her dark aesthetic dominated the late 10s early 20s and she essentially brought back the oversize trend

Which girl had the bigger cultural reset in your opinion ?

The  late90s/y2k shift was inevitable. We just wen through the early 90s revival with Bruno in the mid to late 10s. So it was next. 

I don’t make pink panthers responsible for it. 

Honestly we with creativity so dead the 20s will be nothing but “throwbacks” 

Edited by FreeXone

even though billie is the bigger star, both trend revivals seem to be on equal footing

Y2K was big before Pink, I wouldn’t say she lead that revelation in music or culture but was just a part of it. On the other hand, I do think that Billie genuinely played a massive role in the revival of that moody aesthetic in relation to Gen Z.

• Like 5

What I'm mad about is Pink not getting enough credits for reviving the Y2K sound / aesthetic. Instead, Newjeans is getting the praise and credits for it.. :sad: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

PinkPantheress definitely has influence but more in music than in Y2K. How could she have started that when she was basically anonymous up until last year  :deadbanana4:

Billie's scale of celebrity would obviously make her more influential.

Spoiler

She even has some daughters out right now finding success for themselves :eli:

Both were very important and significant in molding early 20s pop, but the moody-alt pop scene is far bigger thanks to the popularity and influence of Billie. 

Billie brought culture forward. Revivals of past trends has been to death at this point.

I don’t think PP’s music is very Y2K, though. It’s way more innovative than that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.