Why is Madonna so polarizing?

GlamSlam

Rebel, rock star, innovative, fearless and vogue are just a few words to describe Madonna, but she has always been a Marmite kind of artist in a sense that you either love or hate her. Despite her being the biggest selling female recording artist, winning countless awards and universal praise from both the critics and public, she's also one of the most polarizing artists on earth, even more-so now that she's in her 60's.

Ever since she performed Like A Virgin live on the MTV awards, she has been dragged over the coals for upsetting so many over the last 40 years - important figures such as the Pope / Vatican for the "Like A Prayer", Blond Ambition & Confessions controversies, to Trump, and (what feels like) an endless queue of venomous celebrities like Elton, Cher and a wave of angry detractors.

Over the last few years, the dislike for Madonna  has intensified, but why?

She's still the same formidable woman she was 40 years ago, so what's changed? Is it because she displays narcissism, yet still remains persistent, controlling and hard-working at 65? Or maybe it's because she's self-absorbed, unapologetic, assertive and powerful - adjectives which describe the perfect alpha - traits that are fine for a man, but not a woman?

Detractors always say she has minimal talent and doesn't deserve her global success, while others disagree. She goes beyond music and talent and explores attitude, fashion and lifestyle. International authors labelled her the Queen of Pop because of her socio-cultural impact, which rouses interest from sociologists, historians and social scientists. Her music and flair never go out of style. She has constantly reinvented herself and sets trends, regardless of era and timeline. She is an empire and a legend but some say she has simply lived too long to be a villain, so is this the reason why she's resented more than ever in 2023?

Personally, I think it's an amalgamation of everything above, but her age certainly plays a significant part than most. The fact that she's achieved so much and still refuses to settle down and put her Cardigan and Slippers on infuriates so many, especially now that her sell out tour is on the horizon. If a much older Cher and Elton can continue to work (without any pushback from the GP), why can't Madonna?

Getty-Images-688531754.jpg

Cause she has a spine: which was unheard of for majority of artists of her generation - let alone today. :clap3:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Because she wants to be; it’s not because she’s naturally such a polarizing figure but because she goes out of her way to be. It’s by her own design. Cuz she’s a bad ***** and brave as hell. /endthread :gaydonnacat1:

Because she is Madonna. :clap3:

I can’t think of a MPG other than maybe Adele and Whitney who is not polarizing, so in part I think that the sheer nature of a woman being successful that makes people have a level of dislike.  

As for Madonna in general, she has always taken ownership of her femininity and sex and have woven that into her brand.  I think some people feel uncomfortable about that.  I have not really followed her in the last few years to comment on a change in reputation.  

In honor of this thread, I want to leave this amazing speech here

For the same reason it was polarizing when women started wearing pants :alexz2:

Her success really drove a lot of people against her initially. I think people thought she was supposed to disappear after Like a Virgin but she just kept on going. And I think the reason they wanted her to disappear was that most (esp back in the day) would have been ok with a one hit wonder selling sex and a gay ally but her gathering power and prestige was really what pissed them off.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, violent desires said:

In honor of this thread, I want to leave this amazing speech here

!!!

She’s not polarizing, she’s just a mess. BBLs, painkillers, alien fillers, touring at 80. This isn’t polarizing, it’s disastrous.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

The music is just not there :giraffe:

And before you quote me, I'm literally one of 4 people in this website that listens to B*tch, I'm Madonna :isudumblmao:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Big Bad Wolf said:

She’s not polarizing, she’s just a mess. BBLs, painkillers, alien fillers, touring at 80. This isn’t polarizing, it’s disastrous.

U kids need to put some RESPECT on The Queens name.

Plenty of artists tour as they age,  I mean should she just go die somewhere cause she's getting older? 🙄 Like WTF!

Also Madge has never indulged in drugs and its part of the reason why she's lasted as long as she did.

These lame artists today can't hold a candle to her DELETE this mess 

24 minutes ago, MaterialboyEST1985 said:

U kids need to put some RESPECT on The Queens name.

Plenty of artists tour as they age,  I mean should she just go die somewhere cause she's getting older? 🙄 Like WTF!

Also Madge has never indulged in drugs and its part of the reason why she's lasted as long as she did.

These lame artists today can't hold a candle to her DELETE this mess 

No. Love Madonna, but her behavior nowadays is simply embarrassing. In b4 “sexist/ageist” comments ensue. 

• ATRL Moderator

In 2023? Because she represents a paradox for an aging popstar. Let me explain. 

On the one hand, she refuses to let her age limit her; she still dances, posts thirst traps, attempts to sell controversy in her work, etc. In theory, this should be a good thing. I think most people would admire the work ethic and the rejection of agist principles. 

But on the other hand, she has had a lot of cosmetic work done (and it doesn't look great all the time, if we're being honest), and she overfilters her pictures. This presents a paradox; she seems to be embracing aging in one major way while combating it (very visually) with the other. 

I think people find this somewhat hypocritical and it makes it easy to drag her.

• Thanks 5

very simply put because she disrupted the status quo and still became one of the most successful artists male or female of all time. She’s not stereotypically kind, she never even cared for her fans that much or to “build” a special relationship with them, she never cared to show everyone how “human” she is, or to show how humble she is, she never went on a PR pity campaign - she just consistently owned up to her image. Seeing a woman be unapologetic (in a sense that even makes other women uncomfortable) and yet having such a resume to her name is confusing and confusion breeds pushback. 

Same principle goes for her music/image - she never stuck to one formula and always rapidly changed unapologetically and didn’t care about alienating whoever in the process. 

The above doesn’t apply to recent years social media madge cause that woman is truly a mess

• Like 2

This might be very obvious and kind of stupid but her being the opposite of what a 'Madonna' entails feels significant. Like "ruining" the name Madonna so people think of her instead of the Virgin Mary for generations might be the cvntiest thing she's ever done.

• Thanks 2

Madonna brand and image is amazing but social media Madge is a mess. I truly wonder if 10 years from now will she truly still be remembered fondly or forgotten. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.