Meryl Streep: What Went Wrong?

GraceRandolph

The iconic thespian is in one of her first ever career slumps with no Oscar nomination since 2018 for her performance in The Post. Her projects have had mixed reception, with Big Little Lies season 2 being considered a letdown by fans and critics, and Only Murders season 3 has a similar muted reception compared to past seasons, with the lowest audience score of them all on Rotten Tomatoes. The Prom and Don’t Look Up were also divisive, with the latter failing to score her a 22nd Oscar nom despite the Academy’s embrace of the wacky sociopolitical comedy. What should Meryl do to salvage her career?

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

I feel like Hollywood would love the narrative of her getting a fourth Oscar to tie Hepburn, so I think that’ll happen at some point. 

4 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

I feel like Hollywood would love the narrative of her getting a fourth Oscar to tie Hepburn, so I think that’ll happen at some point. 

I fear Frances McDormand is shaping up to be the new Katharine Hepburn in the eyes of Academy members. 

Shes just having fun at this point. Like she doesn’t need any more awards. She has it all. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I’m sorry, what? This is Meryl Streep we’re talking about. Nothing went wrong lol

Edited by Infatuation_Junkie
  • Like 10

20 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I fear Frances McDormand is shaping up to be the new Katharine Hepburn in the eyes of Academy members. 

As she should! She's kinda iconic in Three Billlboard.

9 minutes ago, Infatuation_Junkie said:

I’m sorry, what? This is Meryl Streep we’re talking about. Nothing went wrong lol

spacer.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

While I definitely think Frances will get her fourth BA Oscar, I can see her doing it kind of unexpectedly (like in Nomad). I think Meryl will as well but it'll have more media hype around it (she'll win two+ of the big precursors whereas McDormand may only win one for example). The Academy needs to give Glenn, Angela, and Viola BA wins first though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

she could always do a sequel to she-devil with rosanne barr. spacer.png 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, samsclubPRESENTSavam said:

she could always do a sequel to she-devil with rosanne barr. spacer.png 

One of her most underrated roles tbh.

She is and will always be… iconic. She’s had a weird few years. She’ll do another project and will be back on top again in the next couple of years. Pretty sure she’s just doing projects for fun at this point. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, loveisdead9582 said:

She is and will always be… iconic. She’s had a weird few years. She’ll do another project and will be back on top again in the next couple of years. Pretty sure she’s just doing projects for fun at this point. 

Mary Poppins Returns 

Extrapolations 

The Prom

The Laundromat

Is the fun in the room with us?

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

Mary Poppins Returns 

Extrapolations 

The Prom

The Laundromat

Is the fun in the room with us?

She is doing projects that are fun for her. Regardless of whether or not the audience enjoys them, she did them because she thought it would be fun for her or it was something she wanted to do. Not every actor does roles specifically for critical acclaim. Some of them take roles in projects because they enjoy the other members of the cast, etc. 

Those of us that has touched grass in recent history know that sometimes we help out or work gigs because it’s with friends or it’s something new and/or exciting. There’s nothing wrong with her trying new things or doing some roles that aren’t all that serious. Let people live FFS. She has won many multiple awards and done some truly amazing work in the past. If she wants to do some fun or unorthodox roles, she’s Meryl ******* Streep - she can do whatever she wants.

Edited by loveisdead9582
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The woman has nothing to prove after a 45+ yr successful career. She's won lots of awards and nominated many times. I think most actors would aspire to have had her success.

She slayed in her 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s, not slaying in her 70s is not a "what went wrong" situation :rip: 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

she said she wants more time with her family.

no 2022 film

no 2023 film

no announced next film

• Like 2

The academy doesn't really have much time for women over 70, nor are there that many good scripts out there. Plus she probably only takes on projects that suit her schedule rather than being hungry for work. She has had slumps before, in the early 90's she had 5 years of no Oscar nods. After the big peak she had in the 80's it wasn't really until The Devil Wears Prada that she came back in a big way.

She's probably not taking it way too seriously nowadays unlike back in the day. And for a good reason, since she's been there done that. It has got to feek tiring at some point. She just wanna have fun with her roles, let her be. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.