Are you expecting Taylor's level of success for Olivia?

shyboi

Are you expecting Taylor's level of success for Olivia?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Are you expecting Taylor's level of success for Olivia?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, byzantium said:

Taylor Swift is on track to be the bestselling female artist of all time.  To expect that level of success for anyone, including Taylor Swift back in the Fearless Era, would be illogical.  

This thread has got some people thinking that 2+2=5 :fan:

OP: I don’t think anybody will reach Taylor levels of success as she really does seem like an anomaly. But, I see Olivia keeping a dedicated fanbase throughout her career and I won’t be shocked if she eventually starts playing in arenas and stadiums. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MingYouToo said:

Leaning into rock too much I fear will turn off a big chunk of her potential audience imo, she needs to pivot to smth more commercial like Deja Vu next era. 

I think there is something to be said about the genres being incubators for developing talent, fanbases, and creativity.  It provides a template for an established sound that people enjoy and allows the artist to experiment, and develop.  I don’t think it is a coincidence that both Taylor and Beyoncé have walked the line between pop and country/R&B during their careers.  

Olivia never really got her “debut era” moment where she had time to craft her sound and the type of artist she wanted to be.   So I think it is smart to take a step back, lean into a genre, and then later pursue a more mainstream sound.  Overall, she is doing completely fine. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, byzantium said:

I think there is something to be said about the genres being incubators for developing talent, fanbases, and creativity.  It provides a template for an established sound that people enjoy and allows the artist to experiment, and develop.  I don’t think it is a coincidence that both Taylor and Beyoncé have walked the line between pop and country/R&B during their careers.  

Olivia never really got her “debut era” moment where she had time to craft her sound and the type of artist she wanted to be.   So I think it is smart to take a step back, lean into a genre, and then later pursue a more mainstream sound.  Overall, she is doing completely fine. 

True, I see what you mean.

Now that you mention it, I think she should have this as her core sound, it could separate herself from the other popgirls and keep a pop subniche to herself without directly competing with say, Billie's brand of lo fi pop, Dua's dancepop, Doja's poprap, etc.

----

Still honestly its ridiculous to expect Taylor success from her, she's doing amazing but lets not put her on a benchmark against an artist who is literally on her way to staking a claim as the biggest solo artist of all time :deadbanana4:

Nope. Besides being really talented, Taylor is a big celebrity as well. Her relationships and drama made headlines. She just has a bigger name. 

Olivia is really talented as well and her discography is really solid so far. Just some people would lose interest if you’re not in the public eye that much. 

Doubt it. I don’t think we will see anyone with Taylor’s level of success in our lifetimes, it happens so rarely

It depends on her work ethic and mental health. Very few people are cut out for being as famous as Taylor. It took her nearly two decades of constantly evolving and releasing and staying consistent. It’s not that Olivia isn’t capable of it, she definitely is. But she’s so young and too new to the game to make this prediction.

Depends if she keeps writing songs for 15 year olds or if she can mature with her fan base. She'll have to toughen up and get over the whole victim act though. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, shyboi said:

Well, you do it then.

“Better vocals: Taylor or Olivia?” but I’m not trying to get reported to hell and back 

I don't think so but it's possible Olivia doesn't want that level of fame anyway. She seems to keep a pretty low profile and stays relatively private when she's not promoting her music. Taylor is a mega celebrity in the public eye (for reasons both good and bad) on top of being the biggest artist in the world. Also, the way celebrity culture is consumed now is different than in the past. I think it'll be tougher for artists that debuted and broke out after 2015 to reach the stratosphere Taylor is at. We might never see it again. 

19 minutes ago, GeminiCat said:

I don't think so but it's possible Olivia doesn't want that level of fame anyway. She seems to keep a pretty low profile and stays relatively private when she's not promoting her music. Taylor is a mega celebrity in the public eye (for reasons both good and bad) on top of being the biggest artist in the world. Also, the way celebrity culture is consumed now is different than in the past. I think it'll be tougher for artists that debuted and broke out after 2015 to reach the stratosphere Taylor is at. We might never see it again. 

This seems like an important point.  I think Olivia mentioned recently that with her mind blowing overnight success, she lost control a little bit and by avoiding the public eye a little and taking her career slowly, (see the decision to tour theaters) she regained some control over her career. 

Taylor never had the overnight success.  She got to the level she was at with fearless almost by brute force of hard work and endless self promotion that was maybe only rivaled by Gaga’s early days.  Taylor has always wanted to be successful and had the talent, drive, and little bit of luck to make it happen.  But then even she took a step back to regain control after 1989 when her own fame was out of control.  

Olivia’s career is still unwritten.  She might come from this era with a new sense of control and desire to be the next music legend and set her sights on achieving that, but I’m not sure if she knows what she knows what she wants quite yet.  

No and it's not fair to expect Olivia to compete with the biggest female artist of all time. 

I don’t see that for her (and she may not want it). Her sophomore album shows a desire to stay safely in the same lane and does nothing to build her audience or artistic identity.

is that even important tbh? shes so early on into her career and such a low key person, i dont see her wanting to be this major pop star of a lifetime, taylor on the other hand seems to be always wanting to achieve more

Taylor's career is pretty much a once in a music-period phenomenon. Chasing that kind of trajectory for anyone is just not realistic

Let her be Olivia Rodrigo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Nashe said:

Taylor's career is pretty much a once in a music-period phenomenon. Chasing that kind of trajectory for anyone is just not realistic

Let her be Olivia Rodrigo.

She's got to stop using other artists for promo and relevancy then.

Interesting that these "are you expecting" threads are still being made and all remain open EXCEPT the one about Britney. What gives?

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.