Angelo

Which is better?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which is Better?

• Hilary Duff (Album)
    • GUTS

img_5362.jpg

These two ex-Disney powerhouse vocalists both

decided to become rockstars in their sophomore era but which do you prefer?

Why do people even compare Olivia to ex Disney stars? She was never famous because of her Disney star but rather her debut song. Hilary Duff was famous because of Lizzie McGuire first, Miley bc of Hannah, etc….

Olivia is more similar to Ariana than Disney ex acts, on a Disney show but broke out in music separately. 

I love that Hilary album and it makes me so nostalgic but I’d have to give it to Miss Rodrigo as she just dropped the best album of 2023. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

You also know you’re damn shady referring to Hilary as a powerhouse vocalist! :deadbanana:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Just now, The Man Who said:

I love that Hilary album and it makes me so nostalgic but I’d have to give it to Miss Rodrigo as she just dropped the best album of 2023. 

This. Hilary Duff self titled is great and I stan Hilary, but GUTS is more creative and personal. Now if you said Dignity, Hilary would win. 

this is such a random comparison, and there will be a clear winner in this poll based on the amount of fans from one fanbase...

9 minutes ago, Angelo said:

img_5362.jpg

These two ex-Disney powerhouse vocalists both

decided to become rockstars in their sophomore era but which do you prefer?

Also not only are neither powerhouse vocalists, but Olivia’s isnt rock. Its actually less pop rock thn her debut lol. 

5 minutes ago, The Man Who said:
  Hide contents

You also know you’re damn shady referring to Hilary as a powerhouse vocalist! :deadbanana:

spacer.png

Periodt

this is so random :deadbanana2:

but i have to say Olivia has yet to release a song as good as The Getaway :jonny5:

2 minutes ago, Angelo said:

Periodt

Those pre-recorded vocals! :deadbanana:

All of her televised performances of this song were lip synced and if you can’t tell, I don’t know what to tell you as it’s so blatantly obvious. 

8 minutes ago, The Man Who said:

Those pre-recorded vocals! :deadbanana:

All of her televised performances of this song were lip synced and if you can’t tell, I don’t know what to tell you as it’s so blatantly obvious. 

HOO let Hilary take those demanding (-ish) songs for the album ☠️☠️☠️

I get that these are two sophomore albums and all, but isnt Olivia already in her 20s? it's a bit funny to me that people keep comparing her music to the work the other girls did at the ages of 15 and 16.

When Hilary was at Olivia's age, she gave us Dignity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, ahauntingnearu said:

I love her albums but almost every ‘live’ performance I’ve seen from her have been heavily lip synced. I’ve only ever really seen her completely live when she sang an acoustic version of Tattoo. She has some great songs, but she’s definitely not a vocalist by any means. 

14 minutes ago, ahauntingnearu said:

Yeah, I love Fly, but I always felt that it lacked stronger vocals to take it to a high level, especially during the bridge.

GUTS and it’s not even close.

Would see a point only if going vs Dignity.

• Like 1

I mean, Do You Want Me, Weird, Dangerous To Know, Who’s That Girl, The Getaway, Haters >>>>>>> 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Scars said:

Yeah, I love Fly, but I always felt that it lacked stronger vocals to take it to a high level, especially during the bridge.

Hilary extending her bubblegum sweet vocals literally made the song. Trust the reason most people love it is the way she performed it in addition to the incredible production.:clap3:

21 minutes ago, The Man Who said:

I love her albums but almost every ‘live’ performance I’ve seen from her have been heavily lip synced. I’ve only ever really seen her completely live when she sang an acoustic version of Tattoo. She has some great songs, but she’s definitely not a vocalist by any means. 

Did you go to/see the Dignity tour? She sings live a very good amount of times, especially during the Dignity and BIBO eras.

tho she and her manager addressed it in her E! Special awhile back. She sang with a loud backing track (during the Hilary Duff era) because of the pressure to sound exactly like the studio version. 

Ot: definitely Hilary Duff. That album felt like nothing before it. Super edgy and angsty for a teenaged girl, yet not cringey. Hilary vocals over the songs were some of my favorite in her career, she really played around in the studio. Wrote more. This was an album that defined an era tbh. Everyone wanted to do pop/rock again after this.

I mean Haters alone...

Edited by Afterglow

It’s Olivia’s time. Time to fly. 

Olivia stole all her music for GUTS from Hilary.  The albums are identical. So I guess we have no choice but to vote for the blueprint. 

4 minutes ago, Afterglow said:

Ot: definitely Hilary Duff. That album felt like nothing before it. Super edgy and angsty for a teenaged girl, yet not cringey. Hilary vocals over the songs were some of my favorite in her career, she really played around in the studio. Wrote more. This was an album that defined an era tbh. Everyone wanted to do pop/rock again after this.

I love the album but I think you’re giving it way too much credit. Avril Lavigne and Ashlee Simpson had also released albums prior to this and Hilary’s album actually got compared to theirs. I’d say Avril is largely responsible for the insurgence in pop/rock, especially with other female artists. Let Go literally defined an entire generation. 

Almost every review I’ve just read for this album compared it to Avril Lavigne. Let’s be honest, Metamorphosis and Hilary Duff wouldn’t have existed without Let Go. 

3 minutes ago, The Man Who said:

I love the album but I think you’re giving it way too much credit. Avril Lavigne and Ashlee Simpson had also released albums prior to this and Hilary’s album actually got compared to theirs. I’d say Avril is largely responsible for the insurgence in pop/rock, especially with other female artists. Let Go literally defined an entire generation. 

Almost every review I’ve just read for this album compared it to Avril Lavigne. Let’s be honest, Metamorphosis and Hilary Duff wouldn’t have existed without Let Go. 

Disagree. Hilary defined this sound for younger millennials. After this, Disney was pumping out pop/rock girls. Every label was. Even the unsuccessful girls wanted a Hilary Duff, and to a similar extent a Metamorphosis

Edited by Afterglow

8 minutes ago, Afterglow said:

Disagree. Hilary defined this sound for younger millennials. After this, Disney was pumping out pop/rock girls. Every label was. Even the unsuccessful girls wanted a Hilary Duff.

Critics on So Yesterday:

The song received mixed to positive reviews from music critics, with some of them noting its close similarity to Avril Lavigne's works.

Metamorphosis: 

Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AllMusic wrote the album, "is what teen pop should sound like in 2003... a very good modern bubblegum album"; he said that it was influenced by Avril Lavigne

However, Slant magazine said that Duff "has decided to ride the Avril wave" and noted that, like Lavigne, Duff enlisted The Matrix to produce and write some of the tracks

Hilary Duff:

The album was a modest commercial success, and it received generally negative reviews from music critics, many of whom compared the album to the music of Avril Lavigne and Ashlee Simpson.

Avril was the blueprint. There’s only 3 years age difference between Avril and Hilary. Pop/Rock became huge again in the mainstream because of Let Go. It’s not even really a matter of opinion at this point. Nobody is citing Hilary Duff as the reason it became so big in the early 2000’s :rip:

Edited by The Man Who

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.