Is TikTok at the beginning of its decline

smartalek22

Last year I’d say TikTok was at its peak, literally everyone was on it, but recently it seems that the app doesnt seem as popular anymore.

Has TikTok passed its peak or am I wrong?

I would say yes and no. Hiding the bulk of the rant in a spoiler but my final thought wraps it up below: 

Spoiler

Over the main covid years (2020 - 2022) it felt like if your song (for example) went viral on tiktok, you would get a billboard hit. Now that’s not the case for some reason even though the viral stats are the same. Case & point, what it is by Doechii. It was viral as hell on tiktok, slightly sped up (but the original was viral too), GLOBALLY but that didn’t get her a top 10 unlike Coi Leray with Players which was more of a late 2022 to early 2023 hit. 

People still use tiktok but even just the dancing aspect has gotten less popular. Now you find political tiktok, tech tiktok, tv shows, etc. It’s becoming more mainstream but also more bubbles. So it’s even harder to see what other types of people have going on unless you explicitly look for it. That aspect makes the app feel smaller, long gone are the days you here Say So or Savage on every video no matter what niche you’re in. 

Lastly, IG reels is dominating a whole other audience who mainly don’t have tiktok. Lots of tiktok people are reuploading on IG in a more clean way where you don’t see the tiktok logo anymore. YT shorts also has a whole other audience (a lot of India too) that we don’t even discuss. This is why Tiktok is trying to go into music streaming and compete with Spotify. They don’t have as much hold on the short-form video market anymore. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tiktok is a trend, Youtube is eternal.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Part of it is that t*ktok barely pays any money to its creators I think. 

LilSimsie, a famous sims youtuber went viral on t*ktok and she said she was shocked how little they paid her compared to YouTube. She straight up said she has no idea how can people keep trying to do viral t*ktoks when the pay is so bad. 

TikTok's active userbase is actually expanding. It's interesting to see people make threads without bothering to check the most simple of stats first.

The only reason it seemed like "everyone" was talking about it 2-3 years ago is because it was a brand new app that was booming, so there was a huge influx in attention to it, as well as new users. This doesn't mean people stopped using it.

Edited by Carry My Heart
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, PoKiTaurus said:

LilSimsie, a famous sims youtuber went viral on t*ktok and she said she was shocked how little they paid her compared to YouTube. She straight up said she has no idea how can people keep trying to do viral t*ktoks when the pay is so bad. 

From what I know Tik Tok pays more than Youtube, maybe she got less money cause The Sims is not popular on Tik Tok.

3 minutes ago, Carry My Heart said:

TikTok's active userbase is actually expanding. It's interesting to see people make threads without bothering to check the most simple of stats first.

The only reason it seemed like "everyone" was talking about it 2-3 years ago is because it was a brand new app that was booming, so there was a huge influx in attention to it, as well as new users. This doesn't mean people stopped using it.

This. Facebook is still the largest social media on planet Earth despite being painfully irrelevant. TikTok will continue to grow as quality continues to nosedive.

We have data on this and its actually growing at an alarming rate :rip: 

Shorts and Reels still failing to keep up 

• Like 4

Never had it nor want it, so idk if it's dying or still standing strong. The most annoying thing about this app is all the talentless gen-Zs becoming famous for no reason. this terror must end!!

18 minutes ago, PoKiTaurus said:

@Adam’s Eve :bibliahh:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Carry My Heart said:

TikTok's active userbase is actually expanding. It's interesting to see people make threads without bothering to check the most simple of stats first.

It suggests that people still access TikTok at least once a month, but I genuinely think people are starting to spend less time on the app in general. I mean obviously its still a very popular app that people are still ‘discovering’. This is just my judgement based from anecdotal experience.

JustLikeHoney

It's at the point where the teens that made it super popular are aging out. It's not really changing to keep its these original users interested either. Facebook grew huge because it changed as it's users aged to keep them interested. Marc's a genius. He did the same with IG. 

Edited by JustLikeHoney
  • Like 1

Its a little bit stale in terms of creators in my opinion. the short format doesnt allow for good content but mostly reposts/reactions/dance or thirst traps

It’s not declining but not the big thing anymore

IG is kind of recovering some territory this year

The problem with tik tok is that it’s only temporal fame for its creators and after some time most have a massive decline in reach so they stop using it

The content has been slower this year there 

• Like 1

Really, interesting? I don’t use it as much cuz it definitely was wasting my days away. Especially in 2020-2021. I think the general public was just  so chronically online during Covid and post pandemic. I assume people still are on it all day. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.