Is Born this Way (the song) mediocre?

Aethereal

Is BTW (the song) mediocre?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ?

No shade. 

It has a very controversial meaning behind it's title and lyrics. However sound-wise it sounds like a basic generic music for an Illumination animated movie or a child-friendly High School cheerleading theme soundtrack.

And I don't mean generic as in Katy's Firework or Rihanna's Only Girl in the World.  Rihanna and Katy had generic songs but they were often more polished and deep, sound-wise of course.  From their catalog I think Katy's Roar is on par with this Born this Way.

There are some non-"GP friendly" Gaga songs that I like; Bad Romance and Bloody Mary and some  which I don't prefer like Judas.

Born This Way sound wise (not the meaning) fits more in a GP friendly zone but it's not as good as Just Dance which is also a GP-friendly song.

I find it odd, since the song is very special, Gaga did not polish it more.  What do you think?

Edited by Aethereal

Yes. 

Gaga’s music had quite an evolution: 

Good/creative music TF(M)

Mediocre: BTW

Bad: Artpop

Atrocious: Joanne 

Amazing. A career renaissance: ASIB album 

Back to bad: Chromatica 

Edited by Bears01
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 6

Yes. 

Gaga’s music had quite an evolution: 

Amazing music TF(M)

Amazing: BTW

Great : Artpop

Bad: Joanne 

Amazing. A career renaissance: ASIB album 

Backto great: Chromatica

• Haha 1

I respect the impact it had on many queer people's lives, but I can't say it's a good song. The lyrics are clunky, the production is whatever, the hook is Express Yourself. It's not terrible, but she can and has done better.

The Edge of Glory and Marry the Night have always been the superior BTW singles.

• Like 1

> Original Born This Way. For me, "Just Dance" is the most generic and dated one.

This site loves to drag RedOne and other songs produced by him but holds JD on a pedestal.

Huh? For years y’all called the song noisy and now it’s generic? I can’t keep up with these narratives. Songs like YNTCD just make what Gaga achieved with BTW and Cupcakke achieved with LGBT and Crayons more impressive. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Virgos Groove said:

The Edge of Glory and Marry the Night have always been the superior BTW singles.

Agreed.

Just now, shyboi said:

I would not call it mediocre but i'd say that the message and the impact is greater than the song itself. 

Yep. At the time, it was very culturally relevant, important and revolutionary. We just have to respect what Gaga did with Born This Way, and that's why the song remains a Pride staple and gay anthem, despite it not aging or being one of the best Gaga songs out there. 

• Like 1

Just now, GraceRandolph said:

Huh? For years y’all called the song noisy and now it’s generic? I can’t keep up with these narratives. Songs like YNTCD just make what Gaga achieved with BTW and Cupcakke achieved with LGBT and Crayons more impressive. 

Noisy dance pop music early in 2010s style = generic music.

Or I got it wrong?

Probably she said, “ok, I have these lyrics, and they must absolutely fit into the song.’”  

If it didn't have that one section that was similar to the Madonna song nobody would call this song anything but a classic.

The song was loud and unpolished because it was the gateway into a borderline lofi album full of tributes to 80s pop music. It was a fantastic song, an important message, and the perfect thesis statement for the album that followed it.

Edited by Century
  • Like 1

The production is loud and clashy and the lyrics are cheesy and ignorant...

I mean, I know it was 2011 but it was still kind of offensive to refer to people as cholas and orients at the time. :rip:

It's not the best song musically but you have to respect what she did at the height of her career. First song on the radio with the word transgender in it.

• Like 1

yes

Born Like That is kind of the worst song on that album :sorry: however, I will forever respect it for its message, how she used the terms "bisexual" and "transgender" in a mainstream pop song, and how it was the 1000th #1 song on the component chart!!

• Like 1

No it would be acclaimed if released today. Probably was acclaimed back then too.

Edited by Sylpher

No. It’s actually a very well arranged and written song. The production has dated a bit and is a little bit of it’s time but it’s still a wonderful single. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.