Is folklore the most influential MPG album released so far this decade?

GiftFromGod

Is folklore the most influential MPG album released so far this decade?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Is folklore the most influential MPG album released so far this decade?

• Yes
    • No

Folklore has already been cited by a lot of artists as an inspiration for their respective albums. :clap3:

• Haha 2

Folklore is a result of NFR! supremacy. 

• Like 8

I feel like Future Nostalgia is, with the way people have been reproducing that sound for the last 4 years now.

I think folklore is one of the best MPG albums of the decade so far. Taylor Swift is influential, but I don't think folklore specifically is.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kimberly said:

I feel like Future Nostalgia is, with the way people have been reproducing that sound for the last 4 years now.

I think folklore is one of the best MPG albums of the decade so far. Taylor Swift is influential, but I don't think folklore specifically is.

This post right here. FN has more sons than folklore.

11 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

folklore sounds nothing like NFR! :skull: Idk why do people insist this. folklore is much poppier and modern

I think we need to stop conflating success with influence. 

Folklore was a very successful reinvention by Taylor and it absolutely influenced how the public viewed her and her subsequent releases, but in the bigger picture of influence? No other major artist followed suit nor did it signal a general shift in the mainstream sound. That title absolutely belongs to the Future Nostalgia era.

There is no single definitive era of the late 10s to early 20s that encapsulates this decades sound but the closest for men and women is After Hours and Future Nostalgia. Dont Start Now, Blinding Lights, Levitating, Save Your Tears, the 80s derivative disco pop sound was one Abel and Dua heralded by mid 2019.

Whether it was inspired by or not (most likely not), so many eras this decade came after FN with sounds reminiscent of what Dua set out with FN. The big Doja Cat pop hits esp Hot Pink, Renaissance, Dawn FM, the big Harry Styles hits, Lizzo's smashes, Chromatica, etc.

• Like 1

Can we really call it “the most influential” if the album in question also got it's influence from albums like Norman ******* Rockwell ? :celestial5:

No... I mean remember when we found out EOM is outstreaming Cardigan and Willow combined?

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

42 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

I mean

Lana keeps on controling the industry sonically without even trying it

There's nothing groundbreaking sonically about folklore's production other than it is good. It sounds like a lot of albums that had come around that time

12 minutes ago, Sylpher said:

No... I mean remember when we found out EOM is outstreaming Cardigan and Willow combined?

And folklore is outstreaming 30 by a lot…

• Like 3

Folklore is a result of Punshier supremacy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enchanted0 said:

folklore sounds nothing like NFR! :skull: Idk why do people insist this. folklore is much poppier and modern

People here can't differentiate singer-songwriter music, it's all the same for them:rip:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, enchanted0 said:

taylor herself said that she was insanely inspired by NFR! just before writing of folklore happened. loads of critics pointed out similarities between how Cardigan for example sounds like a lana del rey song  

• Like 1

It can’t be influential if it sounds like a Ben Howard copy or any folk/alternative artist. It’s one of the most influenced albums ever released. Now if we talk about Nelly‘s folklore, that one was real-time ahead.

Top 3 probably. 

I know Taylor loves and takes inspiration from Lana but Stranger In The Alps & Punisher are way more likely to have inspired Folklore than NFR.. It is more sonically alike and we know Taylor listens to Phoebe since she invited her on Red TV. 

Folklore & Future Nostalgia are the most influential MPG albums released so far this decade! Case closed :clap3:

Edited by TayDuaStan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.